What's new

Planning to build a home theater, need input.

Ever since I moved into my house it's been my dream to turn the garage into a home theater. Why the garage, you ask? Once upon a few months back I saw a setup where someone had hung a screen from their garage door. They could open the door and thanks to gravity the screen would still hang down, meaning they could take advantage of the fresh outside air if they wanted to. It looked like a really neat feature and one I fully intend to use, and the garage just happens to be the room with the most unused space.

My planned setup is as follows:
  • Computer running MythTV - This will be my CD/DVD player, VCR, etc. Pretty much an all-in-one media center by the time I'm done with it
  • Projector - Not sure what brand/type to get
  • Pull-down screen - Stand or wall-mounted?
  • Surround sound speakers - I'll drill holes if I have to, but I prefer not
  • Comfortable seating - Good couch and beanbag chairs
  • Cooler for snacks and beverages - No mini-fridge, uses too much electricity
  • Part of the tool chest to hold snacks, remotes, etc. - because hey, it is a garage

I'm assuming at least a few people have done a project similar to this and I'd really like to know some of the considerations and pitfalls I should be looking out for. I'm also looking for a frugal (read: cheap) way to dampen echos in the room. I also have no experience with projectors/screens and would really like to end up with a good brand. If/when I finally get this project finished you'll all be welcome over for a party. :biggrin:

First question: Budget?

Second question: How much of an audiophile are you?

Budget is approx. $10,000 over the next two years, but I try to find what I like and worry about cost after.

I'm enough of an audiophile that the thought of an MP3 compared to a lossless format like FLAC makes me cry but not so much that I need an inch thick cable running to my speakers. I appreciate bass, mid, and treble equally and am very anal about the positioning of the sound field relative to anywhere I could be in the room.

Hopefully that's enough of an answer.

In addition to all the great avdvice you'll get form AV geeks on this board I would also check out www.avsforum.com

It's pretty good at covering most of the info you are looking for. Good luck with your new system - enjoy the hunt!

Reading AVS Forum has given me several headaches over the past few weeks as I've been researching TV's. There's just so much information there that it's almost overwhelming. Great site! There's forums for just about every piece of equipment in a home theater.

Are you intending to keep the garage multipurpose -- store cars in it too? Or will it become a dedicated theater?

Hmmm...I'm only an apprentice audiophile so I don't have much help to offer there. But as far as ice chests are concerned, I would go with this 100 quart badboy that holds 130 cans! :a17:

proxy.php

With what you are planning to do, and I am just winging this right now...

Reciever....Denon..because you want power running speakers, not powered speakers
Speakers....Polk

These will be the top of the top for what will fit with your setup. About $2000 modestly done and you will be much happier with your sound.

Also, 130 CANS??????? If you are setting this thing for enjoyment, why would you drink beer out of a CAN?????? :lol::lol:

I'd forgotten about this thread, it's been three months since the last post. :wink:

Anyway, Polk was the brand I had in mind for speakers for this system. Currently phase one is progressing nicely; that's a computer capable of providing everything that makes up a home theater system (DVD playback, music, DVR, etc). I have a MythTV system I put together about a month and a half ago and now I'm doing some final tweaks. Sometime in the summer I'll start buying more equipment but I figure a projector will be the next acquisition.

Also... does beer still come in cans? I was so busy enjoying bottles I didn't even notice. :biggrin:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Let's see. $10,000 minus $7,200 for cables leaves.......

Any chance you can stretch that to three years?

don't forget about monoprice.com for cable either... wired all my stuff using them!

In addition, for a more modern twist on the bean bag chair you could get a Cuddle Bag. It's like a bean bag but made with memory foam :smile:

Top Bottom