What's new

Whats on your bench? Other projects and creations

Still on a religious theme here is a typical repair/resto I've done more times than I care to remember. This is nowhere near the worst case. This is a simple one. Redid the cross too while I was at it.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 122
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 121
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 118
Always restoring something . This home's header panels as well as a long corbel panel were either missing or rotted beyond repair. So I made /carved new pieces. 2 large and one small header. One floral drop and the corbel panel which sits below 3 windows .

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 94
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 87
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 92
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 91
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 87
Always restoring something . This home's header panels as well as a long corbel panel were either missing or rotted beyond repair. So I made /carved new pieces. 2 large and one small header. One floral drop and the corbel panel which sits below 3 windows .

Way cool! Ill have to show this to my custom cabinet maker wife of mine...she'll like seeing this for sure!

Parts of this piano top had been damaged by the clients prior owner. One corner was knocked off and it looked like someone placed a plant maybe that leaked and damaged the finish.
I rebuilt the corner and made mahogany veneer to finish the underside . The top was like doing a giant razor scale. Many coats, a sanding progression and polish.
one thing though that I had to be aware of was not to make the finish too perfect as I had to match the rest of the carcass . It's almost like having a dirty car and only washing and polishing the hood. It all had to blend along with the faded out to near black around the perimeter.
It was a fun restore .

The underside veneer damage and the piece I made for repair . The water damage, the stripped keyboard cover and the final finish.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 87
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 87
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 88
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 86
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 89
16 glued up blocks of pecky Cypress ( 5" x5" x 18") came in which I've band sawed and am carving into corbels for a home in Florida. "Pecky" means the wood has been partially rated up by a fungus which leaves holes and missing sections scattered through the pieces of wood. Sort of like spalting or wormholes you'll find in aged wood . It's the look the Architect called for in this particular setting. The cabinets they go on are the same stock and they look really cool. Vintage ?
These are just a variation of the 3 ft ones I carved not long ago .always a popular detail.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 51
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 52
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 50
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 51
16 glued up blocks of pecky Cypress ( 5" x5" x 18") came in which I've band sawed and am carving into corbels for a home in Florida. "Pecky" means the wood has been partially rated up by a fungus which leaves holes and missing sections scattered through the pieces of wood. Sort of like spalting or wormholes you'll find in aged wood . It's the look the Architect called for in this particular setting. The cabinets they go on are the same stock and they look really cool. Vintage ?
These are just a variation of the 3 ft ones I carved not long ago .always a popular detail.

Awesome work Mark...would love to see the finished cabinet....ohhh and youve got my custom cabinet maker wife asking me if she can go work for you ☺

Top Bottom