What's new

Whats on your bench? Other projects and creations

I have enjoyed working on the razors, learning to make my own kamisori from scratch, and digging around in dumpsters for scale material, but any time the subject comes up that I like to make knives people ask to see my work. Well I have a little work I can share here, but I would also love to see what other makers are doing in their shop! Razor related or not, knives, guns, turntables, porceline dolls, model trains, what occupies your time while your stubble is growing back?

W1 steel-forged
Bronze guard
Walrus ivory handle

proxy.php

1084 steel -stock removal
(Will get) bronze guard/snake wood handle

proxy.php

Teardrop single blade slipjoint (almost one)

proxy.php

Sway back gent

proxy.php

W1 forged
Myrtle wood with copper pins
(Handle was scrapped and redone since)

proxy.php

USM3 replica
1080 stock removal
Stacked leather

proxy.php

So let's see what everyone else has going on!

-Xander

I build, fix, restore and tune Lambretta and Vespa engines, and sometimes the entire scooters aswell :)

Attachments

• $2011-10-19 10.44.40.jpg
    $2011-10-19 10.44.40.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 778
  • $2011-10-19 12.56.57.jpg
    $2011-10-19 12.56.57.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 776
  • $2012-01-26 19.36.00.jpg
    $2012-01-26 19.36.00.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 779
Buzzard - that's cool stuff! I wish scooters and such didn't have the negative stigma here, they should be utilized more.

Alf, David, thanx! I forgot to add a couple of pics though...

I work in miniature quite often. Still planing a miniature straight! All my minis are to scale, made from real knife steels and materials, properly heat treated and sharpened. Fully functional.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

A couple in my collection, not by me but belong to me.

The Lorien by Ryan Weeks, Utah, US
proxy.php

Cutlass by Stacy Apelt, Virginia, US

proxy.php

-Xander

Wow, where did you get the giant lighter, altoids tin, hand, etc.?

(Sorry, someone needed to make that cheesey joke. Might as well be me)

That's pretty cool Xander. I can honestly say these are the first miniature knives I think I've ever seen and if you hadn't posted the second set of scale pictures, I would have never guessed. What is the story behind those? Do you make them just for the sake of the craft?

Did you just one day say to yourself "You know, these big knives are cool and difficult to create, but not quite difficult enough...what can I do to make it really tough?" :001_cool:

Oh, and there aint nothin' on my workbench. You don't work in the garage in Phoenix during the summer.

I've got to hold out for about another 3 weeks and then it will at least be bearable in the mornings and evenings.

Tj, I make these for many reasons. They are a great way to get into custom knives for a fraction of the price, although they can still be expensive. They are alo a great test of skills, forging steel down to 0.030" with no more than 0.002" variance in the rough forging is pretty interesting. I have made the same part for the same knife multiple times because I lost it, or just got out of alignment by 0.002".

Over on BladeForums.com I host a giveaway every year specifically for miniature knives. Everyone who makes a miniature gets their name and knife thrown in a hat and names are drawn.

-Xander

Those knives look really good Xander :)

One of the latest things I did, apart from rescaling the Henckels on the other thread, was a little wooden stand for my Feather / kamisori. I got tired of not having a proper place to put them and so I searched for inspiration on the web. Immitation is, supposedly, the best kind of flattery (or lack of imagination hehehe) so I designed one based on the beautiful photos I've seen on Brian Brown's webpage and it came out like this :

One day I might get the $$$ for one of Brian's creations, but I guess for now I'll have to settle with my version of this beautiful stands :)

That stand came out quite nice! I like it. I do need to start thinking about a stand for the kamisori I am making, I like that style but we'll see what comes to mind.

-Xander

Buzzard - that's cool stuff! I wish scooters and such didn't have the negative stigma here, they should be utilized more.

-Xander

Yeah over here in the UK there is a huge scene for vintage scooters, and there always has been since the 70s really. I know there is an up and coming scooter scene in the US, but unfortunately, and like you said, due to the negative stigma it is kind of looked down on by a lot of people and it really only thrives in small groups throughout the country.

Heres a couple more of the resto work.

Attachments

• $DSC00240.jpg
    $DSC00240.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 729
  • $27022010112.jpg
    $27022010112.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 727
  • $13102010309.jpg
    $13102010309.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 724
  • $IMGP0633.jpg
    $IMGP0633.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 728
Geeze, those are some tiny one-lung motors! I think I've put bigger on model airplanes!

I've been interested in the mopeds for a while, more so than scooters. They have little "krews" in the major metro areas, San Francisco, NY, and of course thre are plenty of people who use them for commuting. I have been happy to see more and more vespa style knock offs cruising around my city with gas prices going up. I would love to get my hands on a 70's Honda 100, I had a Honda Trail 90 that I rebuilt and sold with 900 original miles. Great little bike. I like the classic cafe racer look, myself.

I also was heavily into the bicycle scene, I managed a few shops and still build my own bikes. I'll dig up some pics of my past and present fleet. I also ride my bike to work everyday. Todays ride is my '86 Miyata pista trimmed in Sugino 75 NJS stamped crank/BB Nitto NJS track drops, cutom wheels built by me and original pearlescent white paint.

-Xander

I mainly throw together bigger bikes, late 70s Japanese bikes, 650cc+. The comment I most often hear is "Does that thing run?" Usually when I'm 1000 miles (1600km) away from home :)

Scooter's always get mad props from me. Nothing better than to be standing with a group of "grrrrr" Harley riders when they start making fun of some guy on a scooter. I usually let it go on for a bit, then ask "Well, which one of you has the guts to be seen riding a scooter & having fun? THAT takes a REAL man." That usually shuts them up quick :)

That's the style of bikes I grew up on. CB750, GS1100EZ and stuff like that. That's why I like the cafe racers and naked bikes. Those are real good looking bikes, one headlight, shortie fender up front, stepped bench seat and some low rise bars.

-Xander

One of the latest things I did, apart from rescaling the Henckels on the other thread, was a little wooden stand for my Feather / kamisori. I got tired of not having a proper place to put them and so I searched for inspiration on the web. Immitation is, supposedly, the best kind of flattery (or lack of imagination hehehe) so I designed one based on the beautiful photos I've seen on Brian Brown's webpage and it came out like this :

Might I ask what you used to cut the grooves in your stands?

Im thinking of getting myself an vintage vespa, perhaps not in the repair stage like the one you put your hand to.

Right now im just putting some elbow Grease on a pipe i intend to smoke while being out in the garage trying to make scales for My restos. Once i finish building the garage that is.

Last edited:
Might I ask what you used to cut the grooves in your stands?

Sure - I used the same handsaw I used to slice the wood for the Henckel's scales on the other thread : http://www.stanleytools.co.uk/product/147295

Did one cut on each side, to the depth I had marked, and then just removed the little leftover inside (it was so thin it broke). Then used some sandpaper wrapped around a piece of metal that fit the groove, and handsanded the inside.

A variety of carvings for several kitchens and the restoration ( finished here) of 14 stations for a Church among many other things. The last photo isn't how the carving appears as it's actually three carvings in one photo.

Attachments

• $IMG_1888.JPG
    $IMG_1888.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 696
  • $IMG_9273.JPG
    $IMG_9273.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 693
  • $IMG_2015.JPG
    $IMG_2015.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 692
  • $IMG_2096.JPG
    $IMG_2096.JPG