What's new

Whats on your bench? Other projects and creations

Very, very cool Xander. Please post pics when its done.

Thanx! The gun was part of an estate sale for my uncles father in law, so I snagged it private party sale. I still have the sporterized original stock, which was pillar bedded and free floated. Keeping my eye out for another barreled action to stick in it with iron sights just for fun. My gun had a Lyman alaskan 2.5x fine x-hair scope on a griffin & howe removable base. I sold the scope and mount for more than I paid for the entire gun! That's what paid for the stock.

Xander, amazing work. Love the kid holding the rifle, never too young IMO

Yep, that's my boy! He just turned 3 on the 11th. I make no joke about starting them early with gun and knife safety. When I sit down to sharpen a knife or razor, I give him his own plastic butter knife and a cheap $5 norton combo stone. He tries to copy me and I always make sure he understands where the sharp edge is.

For those that may be concerned with the bolt being closed and his finger near the trigger, I didn't want him trying to cycle the bolt, so I double checked it and cleared it with a dry fire. I make sure he sees me check and clear every gun I own everytime I touch it. That's how I was raised and I just do it second nature.

I rebuilt and refinished my first real rifle, a '71 Remington 582 bolt action tube fed .22 rifle. It will be passed down to him when he's ready. I figure by 6 or 7 he might be ready to get behind the trigger. We'll see!

Thanx!

-Xander

Just made an end table for the basement

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 385
Here is a little parer I built out of Damasteel and Rhodonite
proxy.php

A little damascus petty
proxy.php

A damascus chef knife
proxy.php

And my baby...
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This baby of yours, first, could you provide us with some details about it? Also, do I understand correctly, you made this?

QUOTE=Bear_Blade;4940323]Here is a little parer I built out of Damasteel and Rhodonite
proxy.php

A little damascus petty
proxy.php

A damascus chef knife
proxy.php

And my baby...
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
[/QUOTE]

Yes sir. Correct on all counts.

My baby is built on a Savage match action, mated to a McGowen heavy contour match barrel, 1 in 10 to stabilize those heavy pills. I have a ball bearing lift kit installed in the bolt. It is slick!

All sitting in a steel bedded, XLR Industries aluminum chassis system. The scope is a Millett 4-16 X 50, that has since been upped to a 6-25 X 56. Muzzle brake is from Grizzly Gun Works.

My hand loads have me shooting 210 gr Matrix bullets (BC of .750!) at a cool 2710 fps. Keep in mind this is a .308 Win I'm still supersonic past 1000 yards.

The knives? Yes I made those from scratch as well.

Who knew? I've seen this done before and just had to give it a try. Yup, it's a golf ball. I've always wondered what was in there. Some are different colors too. Didn't get all the sanding dust out of it but you get the idea. Just having fun.

Attachments

• $IMG_4613.jpg
    $IMG_4613.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 330
  • $IMG_4612.jpg
    $IMG_4612.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 329
  • $IMG_4611.jpg
    $IMG_4611.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 328
30" Mahogany legs for an Island unit. Took a break from carving 1200 ft. of moulding which has been keeping me busy this summer. It's for custom made doors for a home on Park Ave. NY.

Attachments

• $IMG_6175.JPG
    $IMG_6175.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 300
  • $IMG_6176.JPG
    $IMG_6176.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 301
  • $IMG_6178.JPG
    $IMG_6178.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 301
  • $IMG_6179.JPG
    $IMG_6179.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 298
  • $IMG_6180.JPG
    $IMG_6180.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 297
What kind of scope covers are those? Butler creeks are terrible now, and I am tired of tearing them up. Those look much beefier.

I'm a long range guy myself. I got a prairie dog at 905 yards this summer in Montana. Unfortunately I couldn't break into the 1,000 yard club. I shoot a Remington 700 Tactical with a factory action and 20" bbl mounted in a B&C Medalist MK2 stock and Nightforce NXS F1 glass. My muzzle brake is an Innovative Arms LDSP suppressor. My other long range rifle is a .50 caliber flintlock southern mountain rifle. ;)

Yes sir. Correct on all counts.

My baby is built on a Savage match action, mated to a McGowen heavy contour match barrel, 1 in 10 to stabilize those heavy pills. I have a ball bearing lift kit installed in the bolt. It is slick!

All sitting in a steel bedded, XLR Industries aluminum chassis system. The scope is a Millett 4-16 X 50, that has since been upped to a 6-25 X 56. Muzzle brake is from Grizzly Gun Works.

My hand loads have me shooting 210 gr Matrix bullets (BC of .750!) at a cool 2710 fps. Keep in mind this is a .308 Win I'm still supersonic past 1000 yards.

The knives? Yes I made those from scratch as well.

These covers are standard issue with the Millett line. They are ok, very snug, and takes a bit of effort to open and close.

Some of you know I have been working on a rather large carving project over the summer and into the winter.
It's been 5 months having this job in my studio with 4 months dedicated to carving.
The project is for a home on Park Ave. NY where they needed hand carved mouldings for the panels on custom made Mahogany doors.
I finished the last foot just last night!
There were two strips of mouldings. One was 3/4 inch wide with leaves that totaled 684 ft long. This strip of moulding required me to carve 10,984 leaves on it.
The second strip was 501 ft. which averaging 33 leaves per foot needed a total of 16,533 leaves to be carved.
All total I carved nearly a quarter mile of mouldings with 27,517 leaves being carved.
Phew!
The project is covered on my woodcarving blog but here is a couple of shots showing the mouldings.
I wasn't responsible for making what is shown as the white paper drawing in between the two strips of mouldings but you can see how when assembled it creates a nice effect.
Just for doors. Must be nice.

In the photos you can see the special vise I designed to hold the mouldings, the aluminum templates to transfer the design, mock ups of the completed mouldings ( complete with carved miter joints) and some of the larger sections of mouldings as they came off my bench.

Attachments

• $IMG_5648.JPG
    $IMG_5648.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 261
  • $IMG_5634.jpg
    $IMG_5634.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 256
  • $IMG_5632.JPG
    $IMG_5632.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 259
  • $IMG_5656.jpg
    $IMG_5656.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 256
  • $IMG_5786.JPG
    $IMG_5786.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 259
Fortunately after doing this for so many years, and all day every day, I have a decent grip. And now after doing such repetitive cuts I have quite the callous on my one finger from pressing on the chisel. Looks more like a growth!

Fortunately after doing this for so many years, and all day every day, I have a decent grip. And now after doing such repetitive cuts I have quite the callous on my one finger from pressing on the chisel. Looks more like a growth!

Well if there's a definition of craftsmanship... That would be it to me... One of these days I'll get an idea and send some work your direction

Top Bottom