What's new

Alden Shoe Restoration v. B. Nelson Shoe Restoration

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I think you will be a happy person when you get those back.

Btw, B. Nelson does a recessed metal tap on the front of the shoe, if you are interested.

I think you will be a happy person when you get those back.

Btw, B. Nelson does a recessed metal tap on the front of the shoe, if you are interested.

Good call on the taps - I know a few of my co-workers have them but I've never taken the plunge. That is always something I can have done here at my local shoe shop as well.

Just dropped my shoes off in the mail - fingers crossed!

My shoes were mailed to B. Nelson 2 weeks ago today. I know they have them because they charged my credit card late last week. I've made several email inquiries to Nick regarding the status of the order but haven't heard anything back. I trust that everything is moving along smoothly but would at least like for them to tell me when they ship so that I can keep an eye out for the parcel.

This is a very informative thread. Being north of the border getting quality shoe repairs is near impossible. I have a much abused pair of AF53 that have the uppers separating from the soles as a result of thousands of kilometres motorcycling in rain combined with many k on foot in wet conditions. B Nelson was top of my list as the boots have an unreal patina that an Alden recraft might destroy. I have pushed the boots beyond any reasonable level of use and they really need a full recraft. Does anyone know if B Nelson will do cross border work? Issues, if any? Thanks to all those who made such valuable contributions to this thread.

My shoes were mailed to B. Nelson 2 weeks ago today. I know they have them because they charged my credit card late last week. I've made several email inquiries to Nick regarding the status of the order but haven't heard anything back. I trust that everything is moving along smoothly but would at least like for them to tell me when they ship so that I can keep an eye out for the parcel.

He will. I've always received an email when my shoes were returned.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Since B. Nelson is doing his, I have a pretty good sense about this.

My bad. I forgot he was sending them to B. Nelson. I thought he was sending them to Cole Haan. (Yes, I'm getting old. :rolleyes:)

From B. Nelson, I'm sure we can expect a bang-up job.

Ok guys - the verdict is in on my B. Nelson restoration and I would definitely give the service an A rating. Again, Nick was most helpful in determine what services I needed and sending a paid shipping envelop to accommodate the return. From the day I shipped to the day I received my shoes back was 23 days. I think that's very reasonable and there is something to be said about dealing with a live human being rather than an automated ordering system. I'll keep the word count low on this one because I think the pictures speak for the quality of the service themselves!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I just went and checked the "before" pics to compare them to the "after" pics and I would have to say that you have yourself a nice "new" pair of shoes. B. Nelson strikes again! :biggrin:

I just went and checked the "before" pics to compare them to the "after" pics and I would have to say that you have yourself a nice "new" pair of shoes. B. Nelson strikes again! :biggrin:

+1. If my Cole Haans come back from their second trip no better than the first, I'm giving B. Nelson a shot.

Thanks guys - can't wait to wear these Monday. I hope the fit has not changed, as I said, these shoes have been loyal companions to me for years now. Worn to job interviews, weddings, funerals, a lot of memories in those old soles

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The footbeds and the heel cup really show the greatest transformation. I believe you had a tear in the rear of the top line of the shoe. The interior of your shoes looked pretty beat up. Now they look great.

Thanks to johnniegold and everyone who responded to this . I do have a few pairs of AE I bought used and have worn for a bit. was wondering whether I should spurge on a restoration, which realistically is pushing it for me cost wise. At least for me a new pair of AE is way beyond my means. This thread has inspired me to go beyond cheap store shoes. I do like my AE's but fit is a big issue. Having never tried one in a store new {or the cost of a new pair}- the closest store being 300 miles away, its a gamble. As much I hated buying a used pair, did get 3 pairs over time, 2 fit OK, one ended up being a donation to goodwill- just wasn't comfortable to be on all day.
Anyway thanks to all of you on posting about restoration and shoes. Its amazing what I learn here, maybe for the better, maybe the worse.............

Top Bottom