What's new

Alden Shoe Restoration v. B. Nelson Shoe Restoration

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Looking good Bob!

Thanks Jim.

I would like to revisit Isaac's original question regarding cost for a moment.

The cost of this repair by B. Nelson was for their high grade sole and heel recraft with the Joh. Redenbach sole which is $125.00. This includes shipping and a $35 dollar premium for the Redenbach sole. This does not include shoe trees. If you order the Accessory Package (full split-toe cedar shoe trees and flannel bags) that is an additional $25 which would bring your total cost to $150.

The Alden Restoration program is one fee (according to their order form). If you send the shoes in, they are getting the full treatment for $159. This includes the shoe trees and flannel bags and free shipping. Therefore, the cost is essentially same if you go for the full monty.

If you want your shoes back in hurry, then B. Nelson is the way to go. One to two weeks by B. Nelson as opposed to 6-10 weeks by Alden. If you go with B. Nelson's high grade standard sole and recraft option, that will cost you $90 (or $115 with shoe trees and flannel bags), a savings of between $44 to $69 depending on which route you choose. So, the savings can be significant, even more so if you know a local cobbler and are happy with their work.

If you are purist, then you'll want your shoes recrafted by their original manufacturer. As for me, that remains to be seen until I receive the Aldens and can really do a side-by-side comparision.

Last edited:

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Thanks Jim.

I would like to revisit Isaac's original question regarding cost for a moment.

The cost of this repair by B. Nelson was for their high grade sole and heel recraft with the Joh. Redenbach sole which is $125.00. This includes shipping and a $35 dollar premium for the Redenbach sole. This does not include shoe trees. If you order the Accessory Package (full split-toe cedar shoe trees and flannel bags) that is an additional $25 which would bring your total cost to $150.

The Alden Restoration program is one fee (according to their order form). If you send the shoes in, they are getting the full treatment for $159. This includes the shoe trees and flannel bags and free shipping. Therefore, the cost is essentially same if you go for the full monty.

If you want your shoes back in hurry, then B. Nelson is the way to go. One to two weeks by B. Nelson as opposed to 6-10 weeks by Alden. If you go with B. Nelson's high grade standard sole and recraft option, that will cost you $90 (or $115 with shoe trees and flannel bags), a savings of between $44 to $69 depending on which route you choose. So, the savings can be significant, even more so if you know a local cobbler and are happy with their work.

If you are purist, then you'll want your shoes recrafted by their original manufacturer. As for me, that remains to be seen until I receive the Aldens and can really do a side-by-side comparision.

very interesting indeed. I cant wait to see the Alden comparison. I personally would prefer going with the better product. I wouldnt care to be a purist, so to speak.

I've heard that with the "non-black" shades of cordovan - notably color 8, Alden insists on recoloring them back to the factory color as part of the refurb. Even when specifically requested not to, they will wipe out years of fading with a uniform deep burgundy stain. I wonder if B. Nelson is so heavy handed about this important aspect of cordovan? My only pair of cordovan is in color 8, while they are fading in nicely, they are a long way from needing a rebuild.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I've heard that with the "non-black" shades of cordovan - notably color 8, Alden insists on recoloring them back to the factory color as part of the refurb. Even when specifically requested not to, they will wipe out years of fading with a uniform deep burgundy stain. I wonder if B. Nelson is so heavy handed about this important aspect of cordovan? My only pair of cordovan is in color 8, while they are fading in nicely, they are a long way from needing a rebuild.

This is an excellent point Rick. It was for this very reason that I sent the Mahogany shells back to Alden since I didn't want anyone else messing with color other than the original manufacturer.

The black shoes went to B. Nelson since I didn't think it mattered who refinished a black shoe. (Btw, Nick V. indicated that they would be using Saphir products to polish them, which was kind of nice.

Once in a while, if I don't get a chance to do it myself, if I get my cigar cordovan polished at the local cobbler, I bring my cigar colored-Alden wax paste to let him use when polishing those particular shoes.

Thanks for pointing that out Rick.

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Today is the first time I wore the shoes that B. Nelson refurbished and they were very comfortable. Not even one indication that the shoes were redone. I am very pleased.

Still waiting for the shoes to come back from Alden. The earliest they would arrive is by October 15th.

Great thread. I have a couple of boots that I am tempted to send for restoration. I have a pair of Edward Green city boots and vintage Frye Campus (1969/1970?). Do you think they would close the channel on the EGs- I know the closed channel doesn't last long- it just makes me feel good.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Great thread. I have a couple of boots that I am tempted to send for restoration. I have a pair of Edward Green city boots and vintage Frye Campus (1969/1970?). Do you think they would close the channel on the EGs- I know the closed channel doesn't last long- it just makes me feel good.

Send an email to Nick Valenti along with a picture of the shoes and tell him what you would like to do and he can advise you.

Top Bottom