What's new

Alden Shoe Restoration v. B. Nelson Shoe Restoration

Also, I've always received an email from Nick telling me that he shipped my shoes back and to let him know when I received them.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
When Nick and I spoke he indicated to expect my shoes the following week. He did not mention an email so we shall see.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Update. This time from Alden. I received a postcard from Alden today acknowledging my restoration request. The pre-printed card originally stated that the shoes would be finished within 4 weeks. The "4" was crossed out and replaced with the number "8". This estimate is still in line with the original estimate of 6-10 weeks.

On the B. Nelson front; no shoes yet.

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
UPDATE from B. Nelson:

As Dripp indicated above, i did in fact receive an email yesterday from Nick at B. Nelson stating that my shoes have been mailed and to notify him when they arrive.

Nice. :thumbup1:

Okay, I'll bite! Since BB is having its Friends and Family sale, Chukka Quom or Pebble Grain?

$ace689d40aa4afdddc07904c1b16a1c3_best.jpg

$3e8bc488fff9bb585e32a8d6257a1a6a_best.jpg

This is indeed an interesting thread. I have had quite a different experience with the Allen Edmonds re-crafting service than did Henry. I have used the service many times over the years and the shoes come back looking almost new and feel like broken in new shoes as someone else stated above. A few pairs have been re-crafted more than once. I think AE says that their shoes can be re-crafted three times although the last time I had a pair of Cordovan MacNeil wing tips redone for the third time, they did not indicate it was their last, although it most likely will be for me anyway. I wore dress shoes at least five to six days a week and in my work, some cases involved harsh environments so my shoes took a beating. I will be interested to see how the two vendors do with Bob's shoes.

Regards,

Doug

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
ALERT: The shoes have arrived from B.Nelson.

[/URL]

As I requested, I asked that my shoes be returned in their original Alden Flannel shoe bags...

[/URL]

Here are some "before" and "after" pictures:

BEFORE:

[/URL]

AFTER:

" [/URL]

BEFORE:

[/URL]

AFTER:

[/URL]

BEFORE:

[/URL]

AFTER:

[/URL]

BEFORE:

[/URL]

AFTER:

[/URL]

HERE ARE SOME ADDITIONAL PHOTOS:

Some nice channel stitching

[/URL]

The stitching is not perfect but I really don't think it matters here. Overall, the workmanship is excellent.

[/URL]

The same insole was put back into the shoe and they are still in decent condition. The insole is a judgment call on B. Nelson's part. They didn't change it. I am sure if I had asked them to they would do it. I didn't ask, they didn't change it and that's fine by me.

[/URL]

A new set of laces..

[/URL]

And finally... A note of thanks with an extra shipping bag and order form.

[/URL]

Now for the final test. THE FIT:

After reading various reports about whether or not a shoe would feel the same after a reconditioning, I am pleased to report that after trying them on and walking around the house, that the shoes feel the same way as when I sent them to B. Nelson (with the exception of the "slip and slide" effect because of the new soles.)

My assessment:

After feeling a wee bit nervous about sending shoes to be reconditioned by someone other than the original manufacturer (Alden), I can safely say that I would not hesitate using B. Nelson again.

Their customer service was outstanding. Their communication was outstanding and they did everything they said they would do and they did it in the time frame they said they would do it in.

Kudos to Nick Valenti and B. Nelson. They are true professionals. :thumbup1:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone want to field this one?

Okay, since I might say the same....

Why not just buy new shoes?

For those of us who buy ch... inexpensive shoes from the "major" suppliers (my nicest pair... $120 Florsheim wingtips), no... a recon is not likely worth it.

Move into the $400+ price range, and you are buying a shoe that can, properly cared for, last for many, many years.
My father's "church shoes" lasted him decades.

Shoes at that level? Ya... it's worth spending a few bucks on a recon service.
In the long run, the extremely high quality shoes plus a recon as needed will likely end up being cheaper than buying a new pair at $50-$150 every 2 years.

Me? It doesn't bother me. My job, hobbies, and "likes" is very dynamic... and even if I hold the same job that needs dress shoes for 30 years, I'm not one to wear the same shoes for more than a year or two.

strop

Now half as wise
Several years ago, 15 maybe, there were places locally in St. Louis, Cobblestone IIRC, where I had those $150 Florsheim reconditioned for $75. New soles, heels, and what he called re-glazing. Came out almost like a new pair of shoes, and definitely cost effective. I have no idea if I could still get that done, or how much it would be, though.

Top Bottom