What's new

Witch hazel

I was wondering how this witch hazel stuff fights/kills razor burn instantly if it has alcohol in it. To me, it would seem that if I got razor burn (which i did yesterday and I'm ANGRY as it shows today), that alcohol would redden it and make it worse. Should i get the non-alcoholic one? Its like a rose pedal one. I never used this stuff before and honestly dont use anything but some moisturizer with a tint cream after I shave which has some alcohol in it. I know its bad and I want to find something new or at least use an after shave before I apply that. I use the tint because my face is too pale and dry.

The only one I could find is the non-alcoholic toner. I'm not sure which is suggested. Hopefully some one with more experience will chime in.

I use alcohol-free toner to moistirise and clean my face. It doesn't fight razor burn. I use AS splash for that. But you may get good results with Thayer's Super Med. Hazel or Aftershave.

I use witch hazel containing 14% alcohol. It is my favorite aftershave. The alcohol provides a wonderful chilling sensation as it evaporates. It does not seem to irritate my minor nicks and scrapes.

Tim

Well, honestly, I'm not sure witch hazel ever fights razor burn. It is a toner, I guess. I've always been a little unclear what it is really good for. Doesn't do much for me. But you can certainly get no-alcohol witch hazel if you want. (Thayers.)

If you really want to fight razor burn, I would look to good splashes or balms. I guess balms, given your adamant anti-alcohol position. I will say though, that the best thing I have ever used as far as razor burn is Musgo Real splash. Followed closely, or maybe equaled by Aqua Velva followed by Nivea Sensitive balm.

For me, things with alcohol are better for razor burn. Yes, it burns when you put it on. Sometimes a lot. So if you don't like a little short term pain, not your thing. But after fifteen seconds of burn, if that, it calms right down. And my face is calmed down MUCH quicker than by just a balm. It might make you look a little red in the face at first, but in the slightly longer run, it calms down my face, and leaves it looking better the rest of the day.

-Mo

Well, honestly, I'm not sure witch hazel ever fights razor burn. It is a toner, I guess. I've always been a little unclear what it is really good for. Doesn't do much for me. But you can certainly get no-alcohol witch hazel if you want. (Thayers.)

If you really want to fight razor burn, I would look to good splashes or balms. I guess balms, given your adamant anti-alcohol position. I will say though, that the best thing I have ever used as far as razor burn is Musgo Real splash. Followed closely, or maybe equaled by Aqua Velva followed by Nivea Sensitive balm.

For me, things with alcohol are better for razor burn. Yes, it burns when you put it on. Sometimes a lot. So if you don't like a little short term pain, not your thing. But after fifteen seconds of burn, if that, it calms right down. And my face is calmed down MUCH quicker than by just a balm. It might make you look a little red in the face at first, but in the slightly longer run, it calms down my face, and leaves it looking better the rest of the day.

-Mo

+1 on alcohol AS splash effects. In my experience with Thayer's alc.-free toner in 6 months of use (3 times daily) is my face is blemish-free. It feels clean all the time. I haven't had even a mild breakout in months, not even in NY August weather. You have to stay consistent with it to see improvement. But it won't help with razor burns and nicks, except keep the area clean and moistirised. I think the best way to apply it is with cotton ball.

Top Bottom