What's new

Rotation Question from a Noob

Hello All,
I am new to the straight razor arena. While I have been wet shaving for many years using DE and cartridges I have now transitioned to straights. I am currently using a Dovo Shavette and will have a regular straight on Monday. I have a question about rotating razors. Is there a reason other than preference ?? Do you actually need several razors or can you get away with one ?

Thanks for your help,

You can certainly use the same razor every day. The only real reason to have a second is in case the edge of the first one becomes damaged. Once you're accustomed to shaving with a straight, the prospect of shaving with something else if your razor, say, gets a nick on its edge, is too much to bear!

You can certainly use the same razor every day. The only real reason to have a second is in case the edge of the first one becomes damaged. Once you're accustomed to shaving with a straight, the prospect of shaving with something else if your razor, say, gets a nick on its edge, is too much to bear!

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure.

Also with several razors you can rotate the use. With each razor used only once or twice a week, the time between the need to hone is extended. That is one reason for me to have several. That and I enjoy the different personality of each blade.

This question has brought up plenty of discussion before. I was told that you should have at least two razors. The edge goes through a bit of a change or transition after shaving. So let it rest for a day and use your second, third or thirtieth razor to shave with.

Glen

I believe in steel memory, however, I do not believe that the effect is important enough that letting it rest an extra day, or two, or ten make any significant difference.
So, the main reasons you may need a second razor are:
- you want it badly as you're hooked and lack self-control (that's 99.9% of us)
- you want to have a backup in case (correction: not 'if' but 'when') you ding the edge of the first (that's at least 30% of us)
- you think it's the razor's fault your shave sucks (95% of the newbies)
- you don't want to hone and you need a backup razor for the one or two times a year that you send your razor to a honemeister (0.1%)
- your butler has other duties during the weekdays so he has to strop your 7-day set on the weekend (0.0001% of us, or 100% of them)

Well, that's about it and you can decide if any of these reasons apply to you :biggrin:

The short names are: lust & lack of self-control; good planning; not taking responsibility for your faults; lazyness or being smart with your time&money; way too much money.
And if you've checked the last reason, remember I'm your good friend who is helping you start properly :smile:

When I started straight shaving and all I had was one razor I used it day in and out for months before I acquired a second and it worked fine. The main reason to have more than one is if the razor fails or gets damaged and you don't want to start honing it. Also, of course there is the acquisition disorder.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I believe in steel memory, :

mind like a steel trap ... :lol:

The other reason to have a second razor is so you can send one out to be honed, if you are not going to hone it yourself.

The reason to have a third razor is because you have a compulsion to own many, many, many razors ... :whistling:

Top Bottom