What's new

Noob musings: food oils on carbon blade

Welcome to Noob Musing with joshua*!

I plan on using my beautiful Roberson for the first time today (thanks danjared!) but had a couple questions:

1. I live in muggy florida and so I'm sure I need I oil my blade after using it. all I have, though is olive oil, coconut oil and and canola oil. are any of these acceptable for now?

2. do I need to clean off the oil before I strop? I assume not, since oiling leather is a thing.

thanks and wish me luck.

Noob Musings...a family company

Not sure about leaving oil on the blade but adding to much oil to your leather strop can make it to soft.

Welcome to Noob Musing with joshua*!

I plan on using my beautiful Roberson for the first time today (thanks danjared!) but had a couple questions:

1. I live in muggy florida and so I'm sure I need I oil my blade after using it. all I have, though is olive oil, coconut oil and and canola oil. are any of these acceptable for now?

2. do I need to clean off the oil before I strop? I assume not, since oiling leather is a thing.

thanks and wish me luck.

Noob Musings...a family company

1 part USP mineral oil to 4 parts denatured alcohol stored in an old jelly jar will do the trick. Blend well before use and dip the blade in the solution after shaving. DO NOT let the solution touch the scales or the alcohol may damage them. Allow the alcohol to evaporate off the blade for at least a few minutes before putting razor away. Just before next use, wipe blade gently with a bar towel to remove the oil, stropping the edge gently on the towel once or twice as well.

Last edited:
I also live in Florida and use mineral oil. Inexpensive and works fine. I get it at the drugstore in the laxatives section. Baby Oil is also mineral oil with fragrance added.

Whatever you do, don't oil your Scrupleworks strop. It will do more damage than good, and the strop is soft enough already.

things I have: baby oil! (thanks, son...)

things I will maintain: an unoiled Scrupleworks strop. (thanks, danjared!)

For protecting blades use the silicon sleeves from TSS and you should have no issues. Blade should be clean and dry before stropping.

Okay! I'll pick up one of those sleeves.
For posterity's sake, TSS stands for The Superior Shave and the sleeves are less than $10.

Top Bottom