What's new

Alum as deodorant

I have seen it mentioned in other threads that the Alum block could be used for deodorant.

I'm wondering why it works. Does it seal the sweat glands? Does it stop you from sweating? Does it let you sweat but kill the bacteria? How does it feel? Does it stain you shirts? Does it cause irritation? Is there a perceptible lasting effect of any type, like a smell or feeling or stickiness etc? How do you use it?

Thanks in advance

Mike

ohhh, I have been Knighted!

I have seen it mentioned in other threads that the Alum block could be used for deodorant.

I'm wondering why it works. Does it seal the sweat glands? Does it stop you from sweating? Does it let you sweat but kill the bacteria? How does it feel? Does it stain you shirts? Does it cause irritation? Is there a perceptible lasting effect of any type, like a smell or feeling or stickiness etc? How do you use it?

Thanks in advance

Mike

ohhh, I have been Knighted!

Yes, it does in fact kill the odor causing bacteria and inhibit the growth of more. You will still sweat. Nope, shouldn't stain your shirts. In the week I used it, the only smell was my BO (it just didn't work for me). No stickiness or anything else off-putting. To use, just wet the block and underarm and rub away.

I started using a Thai alum stick several weeks ago. I read up about alum because I was interested in using it on my face. People use it also as an underarm deodorant. Having done a lot of reading about the toxicity of "cosmetic" ingredients I decided to try this. Alum is a aluminum compound. It can be either potassium or ammonium alum. The potassium alum is preferred. Although it has aluminum in it is much safer to use than aluminum chlorhydrate which is found in a lot of deodorants and anti-perspirants. It does not have a good reputation. Potassium alum does have some anti-bacterial properties.

It has worked well for me but I live in Vermont and it is starting to get cold. I cannot vouch for its effectiveness in a hotter climate. I will have to wait until the spring to find out.

Look for potassium alum. It's easier on the face than ammonium alum.:cool:

Over time the block form of alum deodorants can cause dryness, so that's irritating. Usually the spray solutions contain aloe, and other moisturising ingredients.

If you're using the crystal form, you simply wet it and rub your underarm/whereever with it, and rinse it off. Sprays are just pump bottle alum solutions.

Either way, you have to use it straight after bathing, otherwise it's efficacy falls right off.

I have been using it for around 3 months and it works great I work hard and sweat very bad I have a very physical job I used to have take extra shirts to work with me and by the middle of my work day I would stink pretty bad but now no odor stuff works great

I just bought one for use as a deodorant about a week ago so far I have been using it every day I am sweating just as I used to but there is no odor what so ever and I am extremely happy about that . I have not felt any kind of drying of the skin as mentioned above yet . I will report back here again if I do feel any kind of dry skin

nick

Been using the Thai Crystal for a few years. It has done well with no issues, no odor, etc. I have been very pleased.
:smile:

Try the roll on liquid. While the rock works well, the liquid works exceptional.

Joel, can you recommend a brand and where do you get it? Seems like the block would last longer. Isn't it basically a soft rock?

Mike

I've used the crystal in the plastic case that's made like a deodorant stick (with a turning knob that pushes it up) for the last 3-4 years and I'm probably about half way through it.
These things are so cheap that I just have to try the roll-on liquid joel recommends.

I use Kiss My Face Liquid Rock. My wife and I have both been using this product for several years. It works great... No odors all day. You can get it in scented or unscented. I use to use the patchouli scented one, but I worked in an office and my co-workers would ask me if I was wearing patchouli... so I switched to unscented so I wouldn't get any weird reputation.
I love this stuff, though. It's about $4 and will last for a couple of months. I use to go through right guard and the like, but I hardly ever have to buy this stuff.

I use a crystal block I bought at Whole Foods about 1.5 years ago for $8. I use it daily and it still has about 80% left. It works well in the office environment. If you work outside you will perspire.

I use a shaving alum bar I bought for $1.99 in an Indian grocery in NYC - it works great, I use it as an after shave rub and as a deodorant. I think it excels as a deodorant, I just wet the block with warm water and rub it under my arms 7-8 times - I don't rinse it off. I've had no problems with irritation and the odor protection is superior to the Old Spice deodorant I was using. Give it a shot.

I've been using it for about a year now. I found some at Albertsons and also Whole Foods. One of the brands is Crystal. It is an alum crystal in a deoderant style plastic case. Wet and apply.

Gents:
You have been most helpful. I am now armed with alum knowledge and can sally forth to acquire as an informed consumer.

Regards,

Mike

You guys now have me interrested as well. I decided to google "alum crystal" to see where Ican get one, and lo and behold I actually found a "do it yourself" article!

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howtos/ht/alumcrystal.htm

PS> I have noted that since I cut down my coffee intake I sweat much less and the odor isn't strong at all. I try to have no more than 2 cups of coffee a day now. I'm drinking tea.

I have noted that since I cut down my coffee intake I sweat much less and the odor isn't strong at all. I try to have no more than 2 cups of coffee a day now. I'm drinking tea.

Geez...I drink about 12 cups a day....I wonder if I reek and everyone is afraid to say something :biggrin:

Potassium Alum crystal deodorant works very well for me. You still do what your body needs to do.... sweat, but you don't smell. Here is my favorite:

View attachment 203517 I use it as an alum block after shaving too!

Top Bottom