What's new

First lather with an Omega pro

I just picked up an Omega pro 83(#10083) from the bst last week and just got a chance to use it for the first time. All I can say is WOW!!!! I know a lot of people say that the pros are a huge brush but the sure do
make a mean lather. I was I a little bit of a rush and decided that as a first lather arko would do. This thing just powered right through it and there was perfect lather almost instantly. Now I now the arko is probably a big part but this thing just was soo nice. Plenty of backbone, just the right amount of scritchiness and it holds a good deal of water. Not to mention the handle is just the right size. Definitely well worth the money. Tomorrow I have a day off of work so I'll give it a good workout when I try it out with a MW Bay Rum shave stick. If you have been thinking about picking up a boar I would have to highly recommend trying an Omega.

They are great brushes! I just picked up another one after a knot-removal experiment went a little sideways...I still like my 49 just a tad better than the SOC

I love my Omega 10049 which is the same as your 10083 apart from the color of the handle. I think your brush will loose some off its backbone when it is broken in. It will also get soft which is something that I really love about mine. I find it very comforting to face lather with.

I got this locally 2 days ago. I was surprised by its softness. I like its backbone as is, am a little worried about the mention that it will lose its backbone further.

Its 10066.

More pics

Attachments

• $wdcompared.jpg
    $wdcompared.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 271
  • $brushescompare.jpg
    $brushescompare.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
I've had a 49 for a couple of years. Trust me on this- your brush will never lose enough backbone to matter, and it will just keep getting better. 'Twas money well spent.

Jeff

I have the 106, which is only off a few mm's in overall comparison to the 49....Ive had it for 2 months now, and it hasnt lost its backbone, it constantly outperforms my Simpsons CH2 Best, shavemac 2 band DO1 Stubby, which cost $150+ more than my Omega, (i bought them all at the same time)......I just dont understand the love for short, stiff lofts........Those two badgers are just terrible brushes, The Chubby cant even hande arko, and gets outperfomed with EASE by my $20 omega brush.....Talk about buyers remourse, maybe I shouldnt be talking these brushes down as I WILL be selling them both once im back stateside again.......Dont llisten to the trashing of Omegas back bone, use it and find out for yourself, theres a bunch of mis information on this board, trust me, I just learned a $400 lesson.....That shouldve only cost me $20ish.... ;)

I just came back from the local shaving Mecca and got the 83, in chrome for S$12.50. The 49 was selling at S$10. For the price of chubbies, I could get rows of these monsters. :)

I love my Omega 10049 which is the same as your 10083 apart from the color of the handle. I think your brush will loose some off its backbone when it is broken in. It will also get soft which is something that I really love about mine. I find it very comforting to face lather with.

Dont llisten to the trashing of Omegas back bone, use it and find out for yourself, theres a bunch of mis information on this board, trust me, I just learned a $400 lesson.....That shouldve only cost me $20ish.... ;)

If you have read my post you should realize that I was not trashing the Omegas backbone nor was I negative about the brush in general. I was only sharing my experience with my brush and my expectancy that the thread starters brush will loose some backbone because it is not yet broken in.

In my opinion I think you are to quick with saying there is a bunch of misinformation on this board. I off course do not know weather or not you have read my post and was referring to it or not.

Got to use the 83 again today. It went very well. Busted out the MW Bay Rum shave stick and went to work. This thing was 1000x easier to lather MW up than my VDH pure badger. Nice think yogurty and creamy lather in no time it did feel like it was loosening up a little compared to yesterday. But with the feel of this thing I highly doubt that even if it looses a little more backbone it will matter this thing is just a pure monster. I think I'm going to be picking up some more omega brushes

My 83 stinks. And its not boar smell but something like left over, dried up sh*t. Used dog shampoo, hand shampoo, tabac, MWF, proraso - less stinko now....
It wasn't apparent when I got it new and dry. Once it hit the hot water...

they've recently began selling these at the barbershop (I use the term loosely..the place is terrible) on base here. I didn't look at the prices but now I may have to check em out.
thanks for the review!

Last edited:
Merkur59: where in Singapore do u buy your stuff? I am in Simgapore from time to time but haven't found any good shaving stores. Would be nice to know where to go next time.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Merkur59: where in Singapore do u buy your stuff? I am in Simgapore from time to time but haven't found any good shaving stores. Would be nice to know where to go next time.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Mustafa centre (a huge mega mall) - in "little India". If you take the MRT, exit at little India (or alternative, the nearer Farrer Park). Or you could simply take a cab there.

Ask any locals around, its rather well known. Sadly, it only stocks Omega brushes (they brought in the omega 10049-SGD10 and 10083-SGD12.50 a week ago). They have different types of shaving creams (Nivea, palmolive, supermax, tabac, etc), cheap aftershaves (brut, denim, etc), colognes, etc. The only soap they have is tabac stick selling for SGD9.80 (with holder). A few blades of notes (supermax platinum, supermax super stainless, croma, gillette green and gillette goal). The cheapest is supermax platinum, selling at SGD12 per 200.

Somewhere in little India, there is another store (hanifa) selling old spice and yardley (may be out of stock) shaving cream and unknown brands of blades - the fun part is: explore!

Edit: Mustafa have the japanese lucido aftershave splash (cheap but can't remember the price)

Last edited:
Of course, why didnt I think of Mustafas? I havent been there for years, but I can imagine it is a goldmine for shaving related stuff. Will go there next time!

It is a great price for the Supermax Platinum blades. Havent tried mine yet.

Top Bottom