What's new

Shaving cream - soap/cream in comparison with canned cream

I'm still waiting for all of my shave kit components to arrive so I've been doing a lot of reading here during the wait. I've read a lot about building a lather and such and during my morning shave I got to wondering, how should the lathers that I'll be building with either a cream or a soap compare to what I'm using from the can? (I currently use Edge Gel) I guess I'm wondering how it should compare in feel and consistency. Is it going to be more wet? more dry? fluffier? lighter? thicker? thinner? etc... or is it going to be relatively the same in consistency? It's probably been a long time since many of you here have used a canned cream but for me, it's going to be my only reference point. When I start whipping up my own lathers, what should I be aiming for when comparing it to the lather I get from a can? (I hope this post makes sense! :blink:)

Welcome to the group.

In my opinion the lather I create from soaps and creams are thicker than the canned cream I got from Gilette. But that depends on a lot of factors such as time you use to load, how much/less water you add etc.
But as a general rule of thumb you can say that the lather you make from soaps/creams yourself can be as thick/thin airy/massive as you want.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Sparco has it correct. Decide what you want for lather and keep trying until you manage to achieve that result on a regular basis. Just vary the amount of product, water and air to achieve what you want.

Welcome! Recently, I had been trying out some canned foams (Noxema, Proraso, etc.) and I find that the lathers I build with brush and either cream or soap is less fluffy and voluminous, and more slick.

When I whip up my lather I prefer it thinner and slick.
Experiment with a good soap or cream and adjust the water to product ratio as needed.
Eventually you'll hit on what works for you.
Now just because you make lather it doesn't mean you have to shave with it.
If you are not getting what you want, dump it and try again.

Hey, some of us have been known to whip up lather in our spare time just because.
Yes, we are an odd bunch!

It will depend on various factors from the actual soap or cream, the amount of water you will use, the brush, and the actual container where you will be making your lather. It should not be runny nor too dry. There are a number of tutorials on Youtube by some of the shaving masters here as well as on the wiki. Welcome aboard!

Hi Mike, welcome to B&B!
Real lather is something really nice. The stuff from cans seems hostile in comparison.

Welcome to B&B.

As said above, take a look at the wiki for good lather information. Also, take a look at this post. Pay less attention to how your lather looks but how it feels.

When I start whipping up my own lathers, what should I be aiming for when comparing it to the lather I get from a can?
You should be aiming for whatever works for you (i.e. YMMV). Enjoy the journey instead of fixating on the destination. It's part of the experience.

Top Bottom