What's new

Brushes compared

Which of these new, unbloomed brushes is better and why? I had to cover the handles as they give away what brands they are. I'm sorry for the quality, especially the uneven lighting in the second photo. The knot size for both is 22 to 23 mm.

Both have nearly the same size knot. The one on the right is more dense and the tips are probably softer as well. In terms of which one is better is a matter of opinion. The one on the left is easier to generate lather with creams than the one on the right since the loft is higher and a bit floppy compared to the one on the right. The one on the right would be better for soaps and face lathering. So, your better would be in terms of how you lather.

If I had to guess you have a Vulfix 2233, and a Shavemac 22709

==Tom

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
It's almost impossible to tell just from photos alone.

I'll second that motion....

Dash...Welcome to B&B where you will have the opportunity to buy hundreds of dollars worth of brushes until you find the one that is better....better took me a long time....and I still haven't spent the thousands of dollars to find the one that is BEST....So I will settle for what is Best for me now which is the Simpson Duke 3 in best badger.

All tongue in cheek kidding aside...the quest for a brush is such a personal issue....I never would have found that "The Duke" was so much to my liking had I not tried MANY others....Same goes for razors, blades, etc.

B&B is a valuable resource for you to assist in finding that Shaving Brush Nirvana. Best Wishes in your search.

Both have nearly the same size knot. The one on the right is more dense and the tips are probably softer as well. In terms of which one is better is a matter of opinion. The one on the left is easier to generate lather with creams than the one on the right since the loft is higher and a bit floppy compared to the one on the right. The one on the right would be better for soaps and face lathering. So, your better would be in terms of how you lather.

If I had to guess you have a Vulfix 2233, and a Shavemac 22709

==Tom

Seems like a very decent analysis. I'd go with the one on the right.

I'll second that motion....

Dash...Welcome to B&B where you will have the opportunity to buy hundreds of dollars worth of brushes until you find the one that is better....better took me a long time....and I still haven't spent the thousands of dollars to find the one that is BEST....So I will settle for what is Best for me now which is the Simpson Duke 3 in best badger.

All tongue in cheek kidding aside...the quest for a brush is such a personal issue....I never would have found that "The Duke" was so much to my liking had I not tried MANY others....Same goes for razors, blades, etc.

B&B is a valuable resource for you to assist in finding that Shaving Brush Nirvana. Best Wishes in your search.

Mind you, there's always the polo 8 to try... :wink2:

I picked the one on the LEFT (edit) as better, because it just has more badger hairs given the equal knot size. This is more apparent when you compress the brush heads; I thought there was "more badger" there.

The brush on the left is a Rooney Style 2 in Super, small size. So the Vulfix guess is close.

The brush on the right is not a major brand, but a new handmade brush sold on eBay. Some in forums have disparaged these, possibly without ever seeing one, as "handlemaker's brushes."

I thought the Rooney was a better, fuller brush. After the comments made here, I just don't know.

You can't tell that kind of information from photos alone. Especially very fuzzy photos. No offfense, I'm not a great photographer either.

The brush on the left is a Rooney Style 2 in Super, small size. So the Vulfix guess is close.

The brush on the right is not a major brand, but a new handmade brush sold on eBay. Some in forums have disparaged these, possibly without ever seeing one, as "handlemaker's brushes."

I thought the Rooney was a better, fuller brush. After the comments made here, I just don't know.

So, what's the verdict? Do you like the handmade brush better than the Rooney?

You can't tell that kind of information from photos alone. Especially very fuzzy photos. No offfense, I'm not a great photographer either.

I didn't use my usual lighting equipment. This is an autofocus camera working with minimal light.

I should post some of my old eBay pictures, using lights. They're terrific.

This picture, though, is terrible.

So, what's the verdict? Do you like the handmade brush better than the Rooney?

I sent one back unused. Very short decision period. I may send the other back, too.

I have a 5 year old, machine-made Shavemac that seems good enough. My equipment AD far surpasses my shaving technique. (Kind of like a trout fisherman with a $1,000 rod who keeps catching trees on his backcast!)

I'm more into shaving creams, razors, and yes, blades.

My equipment AD far surpasses my shaving technique. (Kind of like a trout fisherman with a $1,000 rod who keeps catching trees on his backcast!)

LOL....I know what you mean

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I sent one back unused. Very short decision period. I may send the other back, too.

I have a 5 year old, machine-made Shavemac that seems good enough. My equipment AD far surpasses my shaving technique. (Kind of like a trout fisherman with a $1,000 rod who keeps catching trees on his backcast!)

Ah, keep at it and your technique will flourish.

Here's a photo of two hamburgers ... which one tastes better? See how much info we need that isn't in a mere photo? I can appreciate your desire to get an 'unfettered response' without anyone knowing the brands of brush, but generally speaking we develop our brush opinions by using the brushes ... physical experience ... rather than by looking at them. You seem sceptical of certain opinions that go against the brush on the right (and you should be sceptical of opinions if the fellow in question has never used the brush, just as you should be sceptical of anyone's ability to be objective and impartial, and sceptical as to whether or not that guy is on the same wavelength as you) which is good, and you should be seeking out guys with personal experience of that brush for opinions of it.

Good luck finding the perfect brush for you ... after all, there's only eight or nine (thousand) choices ... :biggrin1:

Top Bottom