What's new

Adventures in straight razor shaving

Shave #2

Got finished up with work this evening and decided to get the second shave in. Used MRGLO for pre-shave and Mike's Rose and Cedarwood. Loaded up the brush, lathered and let it sit for a few minutes while I stropped my newly-acquired GD. I put blade to face and went at it. Based on what happened during the first shave, I decided that I would only do one WTG. I ended up with a few nicks here and there but overall not too bad. Cheeks feel really good but neck, jawline and chin still have a good bit of stubble. Something that I definitely need to work on but for the second shave, I'm not that upset about it. I'm going to try to get #3 in tomorrow but we'll see how that works out. Slow and steady...

Shave #3

Stropped the GD again and started at it. I had plenty of time to practice today and took advantage of it. I did a WTG, XTG and ATG up top and two XTG on my neck (N-S and S-N). I've noticed that it's pretty difficult to get all the stubble under my nose and I haven't quite figured out how to get a good WTG or ATG pass on my neck. It's difficult because ATG is from the outside of the neck in towards the middle and I can't really decide the best way to hold the razor. I tried multiple different ways and just couldn't get it right so I didn't force it. This was the best shave yet. I only had a few minor nicks; one on my chin and one on my neck. They were taken care of very quickly with the styptic pencil. Face feels pretty good so I'll have at it again tomorrow and with any luck I'll figure out the neck ATG pass.

Shave #4

Today was an impromptu shave. I used my DE this morning and was in the den messing around and figured I might as well practice. I busted out the Mike's orange, lathered up and set to it with the GD. WTG passes were fine. A minor nick but nothing major. There's still a little stubble on my neck because I'm still trying to figure out how to best hold the razor to most efficiently get the hair. I'm hoping my new Dovo from TSS will be here tomorrow so I can get rocking with that. All in all not a bad shave...not super but not terrible either. I do think I may need to touch up the edge at this point; there was a little more tugging than before. Glad I got the sight unseen kit w/the balsa strop. I'm also glad I got the extra strop because my first one is getting pretty hacked up. It may be time to switch that out also. There's still a good bit of useable area and I'm also getting better at it but all it's going to take is one more good nick and it will be done. Anyway, that's it for now.

Man, I'm jealous. I've tried a few times and can't get the thing to really shave anything - holding it correctly I think but somehow my technique is just horrid. Keep up the good work and the posts...gives others of us the motivation to keep trying knowing there IS a way to make it work. Thanks for sharing.

Shave #5

This one was with my new Dovo 122 from Jarrod at TSS. What an incredible razor. It's bigger than any of my other ones but it was not unwieldy at all. As a matter of fact, it was quite easy to shave with. And what an edge...I lathered up some Mike's Bay Rum (to go with my Master Bay Rum AS that I bought yesterday) and went at it. 2xWTG passes and 1xATG and my face is pretty BBS. A little bit of irritation here and there but overall not too bad at all. I'm still working on getting the angle right on my neck and made some progress today but there's still work to be done. Although, with this new razor, I'll be more than happy to practice. For those looking for a new straight, I highly recommend this one; I can't say enough good things about it.

Shave #6

Brought out the Dovo 122 again and got after it. Two WTG passes and one ATG. From the neck up everything was fine, but my neck had some significant irritation. It was red all day. No nicks/cuts/bumps but just really red. I need to work on that for sure. The adventure continues.

Top Bottom