What's new

watch hierarchy

I posted this question over on the AAAC forum and haven't really gotten any answers specific to what i'm looking for. I'm wondering if any of you have a detailed watch hierarchy, similar to the dress shoe hierarchy, of quality dress watches that can be worn with a suit. I'm looking for anything in the mid to high tier range starting from $200 and up. I know nothing of watch brands outside of the popular ones I see at the department store (like Seiko, Citizen, etc.) I think i'm leaning towards a watch with a leather strap as my next watch purchases rather than an all stainless steel one. I have a slightly crappy Seiko watch I purchased via Amazon years ago and the battery has since died.

got any ideas?

I would say in the $200 dollar market to stick with Seiko, there's got to be a Seiko 5 that appeals to you... Most Seiko 5s come on a steel bracelet but given a $200 budget you will have plenty left over after your watch purchase to find a strap.

$99e95306.jpg $ce260bf9.jpg $16499378.jpg $723327d1338400621-modding-idea-poor-mans-sarb-seiko5-1snx123.jpg

Last edited:
Tissot and Rotary do nice watches in that price range but looking at this Seikos, any of them would do me.

I have a couple of Seikos and they have been excellent watches. I have a Rotay on at the moment and the quality is pretty good, in fact excellent, bearing in mind waht I paid for it.

I would say in the $200 dollar market to stick with Seiko, there's got to be a Seiko 5 that appeals to you... Most Seiko 5s come on a steel bracelet but given a $200 budget you will have plenty left over after your watch purchase to find a strap.

View attachment 269070 View attachment 269071 View attachment 269072 View attachment 269073

i'm using $200 as a starting point, but i'm willing to go higher if there's a watch I can justify spending that kind of money on.

How high is the max you would be interested in going? Do you know what is important to you, is size, is height, is dial colour, is case colour, is movement type (mechanical, quartz, automatic, manual)? Throw out some more detail and we'll see what we can do.

How high is the max you would be interested in going? Do you know what is important to you, is size, is height, is dial colour, is case colour, is movement type (mechanical, quartz, automatic, manual)? Throw out some more detail and we'll see what we can do.

I think i'd be willing to go as high as $450. the only other details that come to mind is something with a leather strap, silver dial and case color, quartz and not too big. I don't want it to look like i'm dragging an alarm clock around on my wrist.

I guess i'm also curious which brands are considered good. I know there are varying degrees of quality but some are considered better than others. any ideas?

Personally I enjoy brands that make their own movements... I am a Seiko Fanboy, as they're about the only manufacture that I can afford that makes everything in house. They also make time pieces from $50-$15,000, so in reality they carry something for everyone. The Seiko SARB sounds like what you're looking for but it might be a touch hard to find it at $500....
View attachment 269135

Maybe a Hamilton
$ind-hamilton-thin-o-matic-watch.jpg

Last edited:
Three things...(1) SEIKO makes watches/parts in JAPAN,VIETNAM,INDONESIA....I would only want a JAPANESE one..
(2) That SEA GULL is a Chinese watch...Not common to USA..Who will fix it if something breaks?
(3) I would not buy a watch from E-Bay!! I read stories all the time about crooks on E-Bay!!

That's good advice: The Seiko 5 is reliable, well designed, easily repaired if damaged, and well priced. Throw in a quality strap [or two, if you want variety] and you're set.

I posted this question over on the AAAC forum and haven't really gotten any answers specific to what i'm looking for. I'm wondering if any of you have a detailed watch hierarchy, similar to the dress shoe hierarchy, of quality dress watches that can be worn with a suit. I'm looking for anything in the mid to high tier range starting from $200 and up. I know nothing of watch brands outside of the popular ones I see at the department store (like Seiko, Citizen, etc.) I think i'm leaning towards a watch with a leather strap as my next watch purchases rather than an all stainless steel one. I have a slightly crappy Seiko watch I purchased via Amazon years ago and the battery has since died.

got any ideas?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I think i'd be willing to go as high as $450. the only other details that come to mind is something with a leather strap, silver dial and case color, quartz and not too big. I don't want it to look like i'm dragging an alarm clock around on my wrist.

I guess i'm also curious which brands are considered good. I know there are varying degrees of quality but some are considered better than others. any ideas?

The Japanese watches (Seiko, Orient, Citizen) will be good bets for you with those criteria and price-range.

There are several websites that sell "Japanese Domestic Market" watches ... made for sale IN Japan, that is ... and those are generally considered to be of better quality than the ones made by the same companies for sale elsewhere. This is one website, although he does not have much to match your criteria right now (if you want quartz.)

I have been in the jewelry business for the last 8 years.

There have been some good (and a few not so good) brands suggested here based on my experience. Given what you've stated, I would suggest a Citizen Eco-Drive for something under $400ish. If you go up to about $550ish you can pickup a Tissot Visodate with quartz movement. I would recommend it because for the difference in money you're getting alot of bang for your buck. Sapphire crystal, ETA Swiss Movement, Good customer service (Tissot along with Longines, Rado, Omega and several other are under the Swatch Group for the past decade or so), a deployment clasp on the strap instead of a standard buckle and PVD coating on the finish.

FWIW, I own a Longines, two Tissot, a Movado, two Seiko and two Citizen Eco-Drives.

I sell (or have had sold) Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, Movado, Accutron, Hamilton, Rado, Michael Anthony, Omega, Mont Blanc, Gucci, Tag Heuer, Baume&Mercier, Raymond Weil, Tissot, Michelle, Victorinox, ESQ and Longines over the years. There are some other brands I've sold too but do not believe in the quality of the products.

If you have any questions about watches or any other jewelry (the majority of my business is loose diamonds and engagement rings) feel free to PM me. I am always glad to help answer any questions for people.

Top Bottom