What's new

Johnie's misadventures in butchery

So, I’ve been DE shaving for a good bit. Comfortable with it. Normal routine is a XTG on the first pass, ATG on the second and final pass without irritation, bumps, or burn. So I figured I’d give this manly shaving style a try. So I bought a Whipped Dog site unseen starter kit, with strop. Got a F. A. Clauberg Tonsorial GEM. 5/8 full hollow, that started as a square point that was rounded and has more hone wear on the spine than any I’ve seen on any pics.

I refuse to bad mouth Larry because of his reputation and my pure and utter lack of knowledge when it comes to straights. That’s my caveat for the following. It damn sure looked sharp. My first shave, plainly hurt. I was gentle, delicate, and very respectful of the blade. I maintained a 15-30 degree angle, cutting WTG. didn't touch the blade prior to the first use, like Larry recommends in his literature. But it felt like it was tugging my whiskers out by the root. Had it been a cartridge or DE blade, I’d have tossed it 5-10 shaves ago. I was less than pleased or impressed. The upside is I only nicked myself once (my fault, and I admit it), no weepers, no real irritation. Just a bit on my neck, but my neck has always been prone to irritation with dull blades, or poor technique.

So I put it on the balsa, then the strop. I feel confident with my skills. I keep my knives sharp enough to shave an arm with. Using a spine to maintain the proper angle? Too easy. Second shave? It felt duller. Again, less than impressed. And quickly losing confidence in the whole thing. Took about a week off and quit thinking about it, while pondering a Fatip Grande…

Tonight, I was bored, waiting for the hurricane to get up here near me. So I broke out the blade, balsa, and strop again. As always before, just enough pressure on the blade to keep the spine down and level. Worked the balsa for about a half hour, then stropped for about a half hour. Took a deep breath, and gave it a go. This time I ran the blade damn near level on my face. But it was cutting. This time it didn’t hurt. I got through one WTG, another WTG/some XTG passes that resulted in an acceptable shave. Not DFS, not close to BBS. But it has restored my confidence.

This just might work out. And I can keep looking at those beautiful Hart ¼ Hollows…

More to follow.

Last edited:
Good deal you got a good shave to restore your confidence.

A couple of tip I would like to impart on you.

1.) Lather: you will need a wetter lather than a DE needs. Just keep gradually adding water to the mix. Might take some practice if you are not used to it already.

2.) After you load the brush and build your lather let it sit on the face for at least 2 minuets. this will allow additional soaking of the beard, and also allow more time for all of the goodies in the soap to do their job.

Good luck and stick with it. the shaves get better with each one. I have been straight shaving for a little over a year. I have used a DE once since I started this.

this morning was shave number 4. the blade was plenty sharp, did a XTG/ATG job on my cheeks, and a WTG, modified XTG on my neck/chin. holy hell did I irritate my neck. did the witch hazel thing after, and damn, it felt like CS trying to climb through my pores to my brain. but, its all about me mastering the technique. still working on that 2% rule, but I'll get there.

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Sounds like you are off and running. :smile:

When you first start you usually are tentative so the blade moves slowly and tugs on the hair. Eventually you power through the whiskers with aplomb and that tugging sensation goes away.

today was #5. had a few days growth and decided to take it easy. did one straight pass that went better than any other. second pass I went ATG with my new to me travel DE just to test drive it.

based on what I did with the straight, I think I'll get this thing licked.

When you shave, do you use short strokes? Longer strokes tend to dig into the skin a bit more. Do you pull your skin tight? Failure to do that will again result in the blade digging into the skin.

up through shave #8 I guess. much smoother now, with repetition. today got a BBS/DFS with two passes. I've had a couple of nicks, due to personal dumbassery. mainly not paying attention when positioning the blade for a new stroke, and getting myself.

Top Bottom