What's new

Re-knotting my Vulfix 404 with a 24mm TGN XH Fan

brucered

System Generated
I wasn't 100% happy with the mixed hair knot in this little brush, so ordered a 24mm XH Fan from TGN that came today.

I had steamed out the knot already, so all that was left was to fit this one (that was much easier then ripping it out with pliers)

Widened the hole to about 25.5mm to allow for a bit of splay (thanks edgerunner for the tip) and drilled down with a flat bottom dremel piece.

It's dry fit at around 50.2mm, perfect for face lathering.

I liked the look of a few other guys brushes, and the Tulip brush, that have a bit of a flat top, so I decided to give mine just a smidgen of that effect by rubbing on a flat super fine sanding pad, then polishing with a higher grade.

So far it's looking pretty good :001_tt1:

Last edited:
I started falling in love with the TGN finest as soon as I started using one - I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

Bruce,

Would you kindly explain the steam method you are using to remove the knot. I normally use a 5/8" drill bit in the center (bristles cut with razor first) and then a drum sander bit on the dremel to clear the rest out. I am interested to hear about the steam method as cutting through old bristles with soap buildup can be difficult.

brucered

System Generated
Bruce,

Would you kindly explain the steam method you are using to remove the knot. I normally use a 5/8" drill bit in the center (bristles cut with razor first) and then a drum sander bit on the dremel to clear the rest out. I am interested to hear about the steam method as cutting through old bristles with soap buildup can be difficult.

sure can, it was a video i saw on TSN, by Teiste. be careful though, it only works on certain handles. i tried it (shaking head right now) on an ever-ready plastic molded handle, and it melted it and ruined it.

STEAMING, read through a few of the experiences though. it may or may not work with your handle.

On a brush report, i got a chance to use it today (set it yesterday) and it was phenomenal. I compare the handle to a DUKE 4 (if there was one). same shape, a little bigger and with the 24mm opening, it's now perfect. the TGN XH Fan performed great, lost a couple hairs (expected) but was soft, had flow, wasn't too scritchy and lathered up some MW with ease. I'm very happy with the entire restore/profect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for sharing the link and the warning. I am working on an ever ready brush and was thinking of using the steam method. Think I will pass after hearing your sad tale.

BTW, your brush looks fantastic.

Top Bottom