What's new

Which lapping stone to get?

I got my first coti from Felipe at classic edge. It is a beaut of a stone, it is a natural combo of blue and yellow. Will post pics of it later. He told me that it still needs lapping and i am stuck on which one to get. I know i want it 8x3 and either a 600 DMT Dia sharp or the 325 or 600/1200 DMT Duo Sharp. I am leaning more towards the Duo sharp because the 1200 i would use it to sharpen my kitchen knives (kitchen aid) but not too sure 600 or 325.

So yeah this is where i am stuck.

DMT only recommend the 120 xx coarse for lapping as far as I know but for a coticule the 325 coarse is fine for the job.

A sheet of wet/dry paper around 300-400 grit on a flat surface will flatten a coticule for pennies, if the stone is only used for razors it will likely not need lapped again for a looooooong time.

On the other hand a 325 course diasharp + 1k waterstone + coticule is a great combo. The dmt will keep the 1k & coticule flat. DMT>1k will keep you kitchen knives happy. 1k>coticule covers most razors and if you get any ebay or antique shop beaters that need a lot of work the dmt will make short work of that.

Where do you guys get the DMT 325 from?

I did a bit of searching and was only able to find 600s and up.

Thanks Alfredo!
I did see that on Amazon but wasn't sure if that was the right one. I don't have any hones yet - still in the researching phase...

Where does the 325 come from? The model number seems to be D8F. The only numbers I see that match up are the stone is 3" wide and 25 micron diamond.

DMT only recommend the 120 xx coarse for lapping as far as I know but for a coticule the 325 coarse is fine for the job.

A sheet of wet/dry paper around 300-400 grit on a flat surface will flatten a coticule for pennies, if the stone is only used for razors it will likely not need lapped again for a looooooong time.

On the other hand a 325 course diasharp + 1k waterstone + coticule is a great combo. The dmt will keep the 1k & coticule flat. DMT>1k will keep you kitchen knives happy. 1k>coticule covers most razors and if you get any ebay or antique shop beaters that need a lot of work the dmt will make short work of that.

When I called DMT they said the 325 was recommended for lapping.

The DMT D8C is extremely useful. Great for lapping. Great for honing chips out of razors and great for knives. It was one of my best hone investments.

My next lapping plate will be an Atoma.

You will be really pleased with it, I was :)

The DMT8C is totally fine for lapping, anything finer sticks too much, and is too slow, anything coarser and you will see some deep scratches in your stone.

wet/dry sandpaper on a flat marble or granite plate is a cheap way to lap...the DMT 325 is a great lapping tool

+1

That's all I use.

The Norton lapping stone was worthless. It flattened the Norton 4k just fine, but I spent a LONG time and never could get it to fully flatten the 8k side, and spent even longer to flatten maybe 50% of my Naniwa 12k.
Got the DMT325 and fully flattened all 3 stones in less than 15 minutes.
It might have taken 10 to fully flatten my C12k.

The Atoma 1.2k is way more durable and consistent than the DMT.

E

You will be really pleased with it, I was :)

The DMT8C is totally fine for lapping, anything finer sticks too much, and is too slow, anything coarser and you will see some deep scratches in your stone.

Top Bottom