What's new

There are day's it pays to go to work

For a while now I've wanted to buy a manual wind watch. I investigated a lot of different brands and due to several factors, manufacture movement, price, location of manufacture, marketing hype, style, I settled on NOMOS. After scrutinizing their website I decided on the Tangente Datum model and of course it was out of stock. In an atypical fashion for me I signed up for the notify me when available service and waited instead of moving on to the next shiny thing. Early August I got an email that the model I desired was in stock and I could order it. I quickly filled out all the info online, paid my money and waited. NOMOS was excellent and every step they made from order receipt to shipping was relayed to me. All went well until the package arrived at Canadian customs. NOMOS has just recently started shipping direct to Canada and there was a hiccup. The hiccup was delayed even longer because I was on vacation and didn't let NOMOS know that it got stuck. When I returned from vacation I contacted NOMOS and they had everything straightened away very quickly.

Today at work my package was delivered to me. I expected to open up a small box with a watch box inside and quickly slip on my new NOMOS. To my surprise the box was a lot larger and filled with lots of goodies so I thought I would share the experience.

All the stuff from the box laid out
$IMG-20120829-00063.jpg
The personalized post card
$IMG-20120829-00066.jpg
The journal
$IMG-20120829-00065.jpg
The mechanical pencil
$IMG-20120829-00064.jpg
The watch box opened
$IMG-20120829-00067.jpg

Two concerns I had going into this was, I've never bought a watch I haven't tried on first, and second at 37mm it is a lot smaller then my typical 42mm preference. I'm very happy with the watch and had I tried it on in the show room I would have bought it anyways so that is good. I will still be skeptical of not being able to try on first. The reviews I read said the watch wears big, with a small bezel and large numbers it wears larger then 37mm. I can confirm the reviews that it wears large; it is still a smaller watch, very appropriate for under a shirt sleeve or with a suit. I can't get over how thin it is, manual movements are thin by design but this is great.

The Glashutte region in Germany is the equivalent of Geneva in Switzerland for watch making. A Lange & Sohne, Glashutte Original, NOMOS, Muhle Glashutte, and Tutima are all based there.

Nice looking watch. I very much enjoy it when a company goes the extra length to package their goods well. It is a small touch, one of those little details, that makes buying from them all the more pleasurable.

Top Bottom