What's new

Living in TSA world - What do you have in your carry on dopp kit?

As I've thought it through, I've always checked a suitcase with my dopp kit. As I'm trying to avoid this practice, I've started to analyze what I'll have to bring. In a Dopp kit, I normally have a toothbrush and regular toiletries, including liquids. As there is more scrutiny around this, is it still worth carrying a Dopp kit when you'll have to put things into a plastic bag anyway?

So I ask you merry gentlemen, what do you normally carry in your Dopp kits, what is essential, what is trim (optional), what is not recommended? Any tricks learned along the way or hard lessons learned?

thanks!

- Just J

As a VERY regular business traveller (average 30-40 flights annum), dopp kit regulars are:

Cartridge razor is BAU: forget carrying an unloaded DE and buying blades at destination - after having an EMPTY razor almost confiscated, my carry-on stripped and a flight missed I won't risk it anymore.

Travel brush: SWMBO bought me the metal travel brush from Body Shop. It works fine. Used to carry an EJ BBB wrapped in a face washer.

Soap/cream: take your most reliable, bullet-proof product. You CANNOT rely on water quality at destination (unless you go bottled). Proraso Green cream is my standard.

Misc: alum block, styptic (both available in plastic carry cases or a cheap soap travel container works) and my travel AS is Proraso AS in the standard bottle which is small enough to get ignored. Otherwise go to a chemist/drug store and buy a plastic TSA travel approved bottle and decant your AS.

I'm pretty much living on the road during the week and flying home for the weekends. Toothbrush, medications, small first aid kit, small sewing kit, badger brush, Mach 3 (I don't carry an unloaded DE so I can speed through security), extra cartridge, and my diabetes testing kit all in a leather Bob Timberlake bag (pics posted in the Dopp Kit thread). In my little ziplock I carry a TSA friendly 3 oz liquid bottle filled with whatever splash AS I decide to take with me, small toothpaste, and a small tube of Bigelow cream. I'm a head shaver, so I don't need to take up space with a comb or brush. I'll ask the staff for a bowl to use for lathering or grab one off the buffet line depending on the hotel. Never an issue.

I also travel a decent amount and rarely check anything. My goal was to get rid of as many liquids as I could. My deoderant is one of the crystal ones. Shaving soap is a speick stick (works very well). Shampoo is a bar (J.R. Liggett). Soap is a bar as well. I use a Trak2 style razor - DE razors are a pain at security. All I have left in my liquids bag is aftershave (not decanted since the alcohol seems to evaporate too quickly for my taste), toothpaste, lotion, and contact lens stuff. I use an older, relatively small brush without a holder - if I shake it a few times and wipe off on a towel its fine.

Everything is stored in as light weight bags as possible - I use a shoulder bag when I travel so weight is important. My toiletries are in a lightweight small pouch that came with my suitcase. My goal is to minimize weight and volume and maximize convenience.

To not answer your question: I check everything I can. It is well worth the wait at baggage claim to be rid of everything possible as soon as possible. The less I schlep through security, the happier I am.

I fly around Asia a fair bit and the only liquids I carry are in a 1 litre plastic bag that sits at the top of my carry on bag. There is a 100ml bottle of GFT Bay Rum cologne which I top up as necessary from a bigger bottle at home, a sample size 8ml GFT skin food, again top up as necessary, a roll-on anti-persp and a 75g tube of toothpaste. My washbag has a Mach 3 and spare cart, alum block, GFT travel badger, toothbrush and my various prescription tablets.

I use the hotel's soap and shampoo.

Cartridge razor is BAU: forget carrying an unloaded DE and buying blades at destination - after having an EMPTY razor almost confiscated, my carry-on stripped and a flight missed I won't risk it anymore.

I've travelled with a feather portable DE w/out the blade with out issue. But I did have it broken down and in its little travel case so I don't think they know what it is.

The last time I traveled was to my girlfriend's house in Panama City (she went for grad school). I mailed a spare razor and a box of Feather blades to her and bought a puck of VDH once I landed.

Ahhh yes, I knew I hit the right crowd. I've not ventured past the mach blades for shaving, but knew if anyone could guide me here, it would be this community. I shall move towards the bar toiletries. My main concern was of dealing with the liquids. Sounds like I'm still stuck with a bag if I'd want to bring my colonge or liquids. I definitely appreciate the luxury of checking a bag and waltzing through the airports but have decided to try and travel light for a while to see how I like it. Keep any good sugguestions coming!

Thanks again!
- J

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
To not answer your question: I check everything I can. It is well worth the wait at baggage claim to be rid of everything possible as soon as possible. The less I schlep through security, the happier I am.

+1, juts a pita going through security with carry-on only, especially in my home airport of Newark. I always check my bag, unless I have a very tight connection.

Top Bottom