What's new

Home made ginger beer

Well I have successfully made my own ginger beer and it does have a kick to it. Being in the middle of nowhere in Ukraine does not help with getting the ingredients, ie brewing yeast and cream of tartar but I have substituted and now five days later have 2.5 ltrs of ginger beer with a bit of a kick to it. Not the strongest of brews, but my first attempt at homebrew.:biggrin1:

The recipe is:

2 Lemons
50g of ginger (grated)
2 whole cloves
2 tsp cream of tartar (I used a substitute)
200g sugar
1 sachet of dried yeast
2.5 litres of water

The method was to mix all the ingredients bar the water together and then add the boiling water, let it cool over night and then strain and put into into a large bottle. Leave the mixture for three days and decant to smaller bottles. I have one in the fridge at the moment and the other is still fermenting. Note let the gas out of the main bottle on a regular basis.

Wouldn't boiling water kill the yeast? I vaguely remember from the few times I've made bread that water over ~140 is a no no.

Yes you are quite right the yeast goes in afterwards, I am using what ingredients are available here in Ukraine, hence the use of bread yeast. However the second batch which I am still fermenting is very fizzy and has even more of a kick to it.

Top Bottom