What's new

Slant v straight: improves my technique?

I'm a straight shaver for 3 months, after being a 8-year DE shaver. I have a Dovo "Best Quality", 5/8" Carbon Steel hollow.

So here's the thing: I can get an OK shave from a straight, if I take 30-45 minutes. I say I do 4 passes with 8 touch-up passes. It's not efficient, and the results are smooth, and rarely BBS.

When I "downshifted" back to my Slant with a red IP in it, I found myself using straight technique (face-stretching, etc). In 3 passes, no touch-up, I'm getting BBS shaves that far exceed anything I ever got before learning straight technique, and sadly better than the straight itself.

FWIW, the successful Slant passes are WTG (down the cheek/chin), a "V" angled pattern on each side of my neck, and then ATG (up each cheek/chin).

When I try these same passes with the longer straight blade, I figure my angle isn't right, as I get a LOT of feedback, no real cuts, but it's just not getting all the beard off. Hence the 29 touch-up passes.

Given all this, what tips (if any) can you suggest so I can get Slant-quality BBS from my Straight?

This, exactly what it happens to me. I can straight shave but it costs me time and some irritation if I want it close. But straight is charming...

Keep at it and ask yourself if your straight is really sharp enough. I haven't been doing it as long as you but can get great shaves most days on a single pass with a touch up on the chin.

I have not tried a slant myself but after about 200 shaves with a straight, shave quality became at least as good as with a DE. Now after over 300, i can probably get the kob done as quickly as with a DE if I really wanted to. Keep at it, it just takes time. Efficiency is not the issue for me, instead its all about a more fulfilling and enjoyable shave especially when I have honed the blade myself.

If you are getting feedback and no cutting then you might have a dull razor (might).

However, I think your experience with getting a straight to work and finding the techniques help you with DE or Slants is understandable. I can get a good shave with a DE in fewer passes than I did when I was only using DE.

Straights take a little longer but experience will get you in the same ball park as a DE. If I use a super sharp blade, I can beat most of my DE shaves in speed and it will be a closer shave. Of course, I run the risk of a blood letting so I usually take it slower.

Thanks for the replies, all.

@MrDentini - Exactly. "Charming." I won't give up, but have hit a plateau.

@ladykate - I *think* it's sharp. I honed it with lapping film just last week. Is it "shave-ready" sharp? I'm not good at saying.

@BakerAndBadger - You can get DE close with ONE PASS (and touchup?) Even the video gods do more than that. What you have must be super sharp. My Dovo was pretty sharp when it was brand-new. Maybe I should send it out to get honed.

@razoRock - I'm happy to find something that delivers BBS and "works" as a go-to. But I want to get this nirvana with a straight. I know it's possible, and having accomplished BBS with a straight one is so much worse than never at all. I know it's possible!

It's only blood. Heh.

No I can't get DE close with one pass. I can get a good shave most days with one pass but DE close requires a couple of passes, probably 3 and touch ups.
Was your Dovo shave ready or did it have a factory edge? That might be your problem. Blades straight out of the box aren't sharp enough and need a little honing before using.

Was your Dovo shave ready or did it have a factory edge? That might be your problem. Blades straight out of the box aren't sharp enough and need a little honing before using.

It was shave-ready. I strop daily, and hone with the lapping paper every 30-50 shaves.

If it passes the HHT then it isn't the blade and you've got to look at your technique.

Stretch that skin.
Gurn like a hillbilly.
Make sure your prep is good.
Try introducing a scything action on your WTG stroke.

Can you get a good shave on the WTG direction? That's the building block in my opinion. If you can't get that bit right then you've got to work on it before graduating to the other directions. I prefer to do 2 WTG and nothing else than a half arsed WTG and a XTG. Now, I don't have a heavy beard compared with a lot of fellas but it's the same battle - you are just cutting hairs.

And finally, don't try and cut the hairs with the spine, the sharp side works best! :thumbup:

I think it's the razor, I never have seen a Dovo brand new that you could shave with, not nearly sharp enough. And it does take a bit of time to get the technique of shaving, stropping and honing right. Just keep at it, it will come in time. Most people go through this learning period but those who persevere get really good shaves. Look around if there is some member in your area that is willing to loan you a shave ready straight so you can feel the difference. It opened my eyes when someone give me one to try. have a nice weekend

Top Bottom