Thread: Rive Gauche--anything similar

Default Rive Gauche--anything similar

I love this stuff--clean, powdery, kind like an extra polished barbershop smell.

Anyone have anything similar they use?

Images

Parfum d'Interdits Absolument homme reminds me of rive gauche to a certain point. Dry down mostly.
    [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Ivan,[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [url=http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/18-Aftershaves][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Aftershaves[/SIZE][/FONT][/url] [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Steward[/SIZE][/FONT]

Penhaligons Sartorial kind of like a higher end version of it. Not as powdery IMO.

Anything else? Haha......I think most of us use Rive Gauche. It may be worth trying YSL Body Kouros. They are not the same, but they both have anise in them and are both really great. I use both.

Quote Originally Posted by drlvegas View Post
    I love this stuff--clean, powdery, kind like an extra polished barbershop smell.

Anyone have anything similar they use?
    Nothing smells quite similar to this all time great classic - but with that said, Azzaro Pour Homme and Aramis Tuscany have some Rive Gauche vibe to them, but lacks a bit in the lavender department and has more anise in them.

While I'm also a huge fan of YSL Body Kouros, I don't find it similar to Rive Gauche at all

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Nothing smells quite similar to this all time great classic - but with that said, Azzaro Pour Homme and Aramis Tuscany have some Rive Gauche vibe to them, but lacks a bit in the lavender department and has more anise in them.

While I'm also a huge fan of YSL Body Kouros, I don't find it similar to Rive Gauche at all
    No, I agree. Like I said, I don't think Rive Gauch and YSL Body Kouros are similar either. I just thought it was worth a suggestion.

To my nose, I swear that Aramis Tuscany is a blend of Rive Gauche and Azzaro Pour Homme. I am not a big fan of Azzaro, but I do like Tuscany. However, neither have the longevity of Rive Gauche on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Two of my other favorites

Images

I love Rive Gauche, and the closest I've come to it is Azzaro PH (though my experience is not extensive). Penhaligon's Sartorial is fantastic, and is a take on fougere, but to me it's very different to Rive Gauche - it doesn't have the same lavender and anise of the RG.
    Alan Oscroft (maker of strops)

RG is one of my all time fav scents...no longevity on me, though. May I suggest Rive Gauche Intense, if you can find it. I haven't been able to.

Steve

Azzaro PH and Tuscany for sure. I actually prefer both of these to RG with Azzaro the clear winner.

Images

Yep, wore Absolument Homme by Parfum d'Interdits today. Very very similar dry down to RG.
    [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Ivan,[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [url=http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/18-Aftershaves][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Aftershaves[/SIZE][/FONT][/url] [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Steward[/SIZE][/FONT]

Is this the Azzaro that everyone is referring to?

http://www.fragrancenet.com/azzaro-c...mf/en_US/00222

Steve

Images

Quote Originally Posted by desmoface View Post
    Is this the Azzaro that everyone is referring to?

http://www.fragrancenet.com/azzaro-c...mf/en_US/00222

Steve
    Yep, that's it.
    Alan Oscroft (maker of strops)

Quote Originally Posted by desmoface View Post
    RG is one of my all time fav scents...no longevity on me, though. May I suggest Rive Gauche Intense, if you can find it. I haven't been able to.

Steve
    The "intense" version adds patchouli to the formula, which, in my opinion, detracts from the barbershop-esque quality of the original.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tehtimmeh View Post
    The "intense" version adds patchouli to the formula, which, in my opinion, detracts from the barbershop-esque quality of the original.
    Agreed. The Intense version ruins the true barber vibe of the original IMHO

If you love Rive Gauche, just go with Rive Gauche. Beyond its being good, it is also relative inexpensive and readily available from discount sites.
    John