What's new

My first shave with my Muhle R41

Off of some recommendations I purchased the Grande daddy Muhle R41. Knew I would be getting it in the mail today, I loaded up a Personna Red in my Merkur this morning instead of my usual feathers. Got home and checked the mail and there it was, 2 new soaps and the razor.

Thought a good test would be to shave the head with this baby. Had about 2.5 days growth on it so soaked the brush and got out the new DR Harris lavender soap, opened up some cream and got to work.

Went over board with the prep I think... Put on some shave secret while I loaded the brush. Rewet the head, put some Skin Food on it and some cutting balm from Charles. Lathered the top of my head and started going to work.

My first though was, oh noooooo... Another badly designed handle, was slipping out of my hands like the EJ89, so I had to get the alum block out and dip my fingers in it. Can you razor companys try your handles in soft water please? Or does Merker have a patent on there handle?

Anyhoo, I always start in the front and work back on my first pass on the top and sides of my head. Finished that and rinsed off and was like wow, never got that close on the first pass :) Relatherd for the second pass, and touched up a bit.

Lathered the back of my head and went top down. A little grabby but was able to get though it. Relatherd and did a WE pass followed up ATG. Rinsed off and touched up the whole head.

When rinsing off, I left a little tingle on the back so I got the alum block and ran it around. Didn't sting too bad, thought it would be worst. Rinsed that off and put some bigalow cream and let the wifey test it out. She was impressed.

Can't wait till tomorrow for the face. Thanks for the recommendation guys. Happy with the head, the handle SUX though :cursing:

I never quite get the complaint about the DE89 handle. I mean it's slippy if it's soapy. Like most things, but if you rinse it then wet but not soapy it's fine (IMO).

R41 is a nice looking razor....in fact I might request either that or the Merkur Futur for my birthday next month from SWMBO

Don't wait any longer and shave your face with it!!! Use a very steep or very shallow angle. The angle is much different than other de razors. Eventually if you like the razor you might want to buy an ikon handle like I did. Perfect razor then.

Top Bottom