What's new

Valet Autostrop Razor PIF

As in the title. Valet Autostrop razor in chrome box with original instructions. As you can't get blades for them (unless you find some NOS or want to mess on altering others) it is just for collectable interest and not for use. Strop leather is missing. Has original blade holder with a few old blades plus patent information sticker on base of tin.

As with all my PIFs, the winner will be chosen at random from subsequent posts on this thread. Offer closes 24 hours from time of thread start.

Buyer to pay postage.

$avalet.jpg

Last edited:
Yes like the others and yourself have said the only blades for them are the feathers and depending on the model it can use despined standard blades. Also have hear people whom have gotten the strops and worked on the old blades (or NOS) and bring them back to shave ready.
Oh and count me in

Last edited:
For those that are interested in this PIF, the feather blades work alright, they are about $1 a piece, but as was said some models can use de spined SE blades, which isnt too hard to do. grip the edge of the spine with a pair of pliers and wiggle the blade a bit. then pull out.

I'm in!

Currently my only SE is a Gem PB and have an E1 Injector on the way.

I allready have the feather blades (work great in Gem PB) so I'm ready to go!

Sorry burntraven, missed yours. Tossed a coin and still went to him I'm afraid.

Thats alright Toddy, there's always calling upon my RAD if i end up wanted one bad enough. And it would have been a while before she would have seen service with me. Well be looking forward to reading about the first shave with it though.

I received it and I was pleasantly surprised about the condition.

The (nickel?) plating is still shiny. Only the strop guides are brassed but they should be, it just shows it has been in service the way it was designed to be. All mechanics move smoothly and when it's closed there is no free play on the blade holder.

I gave it a good cleaning and an alcohol dip.

After inserting a feather blade, I did notice the blade has the tendency to get a bit unevenly exposed so I decided to gently push the edge back with the wrapper when closing the door of the holder. Unfortunately when I was switching hands during loading and did not anticipate the flipping of the holder, I cut my finger. Not badly but I am wearing a bandaid now. The blade is almost perfectly even when I use the comb as reference. I consider it safe to use but I will be as carefull as I possibly can with a razor.

I will try it out tonight!

Attachments

• $DSC07645.jpg
    $DSC07645.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 60
  • $DSC07646.jpg
    $DSC07646.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 60
  • $DSC07648.jpg
    $DSC07648.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 60
  • $DSC07649.jpg
    $DSC07649.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 60
  • $DSC07650.jpg
    $DSC07650.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I just had my first shave with this piece of art.

My only other open comb experience is a Gillette NEW LC which gave me too uncomfortable shaves and eventually traded so I was extra cautious.

I lathered a generous amount of Tabac on my cold rinsed face and began shaving WTG. It felt smooth and comfortable but it was not a very efficient pass. This is quite common for me and I think I will try a steeper angle tomorrow. I did ATG at the shallowest angle possible and it was still gliding smoothly but now shaving quite close. I could have stopped there and called it a shave but considering I did not have the slightest weeper or irritation I lathered up for a third pass which was as smooth as the previous one but made the end result even more satisfying.

This was my easiest first shave since trying out my Tech. I could just translate my technique from my Gem Push Button to this razor and it was excellent.

I was initially not planning to try it before mastering my E1 injector but after 7 shaves and still being not adjusted to it properly this was a welcome break.

This razor is a winner!

Glad someone could make us of it. See if you can get hold of something to make the strop and you can keep resharpening your blades.

Last edited:
Glad someone could make us of it. See if you can get hold of something to make the strop and you can keep resharpening your blades.

I have been looking at that. http://www.strop-shop.co.uk had one but it's discontinued. The Feather blades I am using now should not have significant stropping potential so I guess I would need to have an original blade properly honed first if I would want to have anything stroppable.

For now I will be using it with the Feather blades. So far I have had 3 very smooth shaves with one blade and hope I can (comfortably) stretch that. I recall doing 6 shaves with one blade in my Gem Push Button but regretting 5 and 6.

Top Bottom