What's new

Shaving bowls, mugs... confused

I am trying to put together a wet shaving set for my boyfriend for Christmas. I have researched everything right and left and can't seem to figure out the difference between mugs, bowls, shaving vs. lathering. While they all seem the same, I did pick up on some tips not to actually lather up in the same container as the soap. However, I received an Edwin Jagger shaving mug with soap in it. The bottom of the mug is also designed to keep the soap elevated. So is this mug just for storing soap? Lathering up would have to be done on the hand or straight on the face? Do I need to get an extra lathering bowl? Can somebody help me out, please?:confused1

I am trying to put together a wet shaving set for my boyfriend for Christmas. I have researched everything right and left and can't seem to figure out the difference between mugs, bowls, shaving vs. lathering. While they all seem the same, I did pick up on some tips not to actually lather up in the same container as the soap. However, I received an Edwin Jagger shaving mug with soap in it. The bottom of the mug is also designed to keep the soap elevated. So is this mug just for storing soap? Lathering up would have to be done on the hand or straight on the face? Do I need to get an extra lathering bowl? Can somebody help me out, please?:confused1

I've lathered in the same mug that I keep the soap for years.. but I've used cheap soaps. If you're getting him something nice, then a dedicated lather bowl would be supernice.

-Mason

Thank you so much, Mason! You really saved me from the agony of trying to figure all of this out. Kinda hard if you don't have a good idea of the logistics of the whole process.:001_smile

It can be difficult to get the soap to water ratio correct if lathering in the same container the soap is in. I'd wager that most of the guys here have a separate bowl or mug for lathering in. Everyone has different preferences, but it's probably safe to say that a good heavy ceramic bowl or mug will help hold the heat longer, and that some sort of texture or grooves inside will help the lathering process, although many (like me) just go and get whatever is cheap at the thrift shop. I was using an aluminum alloy bowl for a while, and it seemed to me that something about it, maybe the aluminum, retarded lather production, so you might want to avoid that route.

As for whether to lather in a bowl, in a hand, or directly on the face, each has their own preference and no one method is the definitive right way to do things.

I've lathered in the same mug that I keep the soap for years.. but I've used cheap soaps. If you're getting him something nice, then a dedicated lather bowl would be supernice.

-Mason

It can be difficult to get the soap to water ratio correct if lathering in the same container the soap is in. I'd wager that most of the guys here have a separate bowl or mug for lathering in. Everyone has different preferences, but it's probably safe to say that a good heavy ceramic bowl or mug will help hold the heat longer, and that some sort of texture or grooves inside will help the lathering process, although many (like me) just go and get whatever is cheap at the thrift shop. I was using an aluminum alloy bowl for a while, and it seemed to me that something about it, maybe the aluminum, retarded lather production, so you might want to avoid that route.

As for whether to lather in a bowl, in a hand, or directly on the face, each has their own preference and no one method is the definitive right way to do things.

+1 to both, and what a thoughtful gift idea! :badger:

Like the others said, there's lots of ways to lather, but I think it's best to not do it in the same bowl/mug as the soap rests in.

I load my brush up with soap that sits in a small coffee mug, and then build the lather in a ceramic bowl that I got from Wal Mart for about $2.00.

He'll surely figure out which way is best for him soon enough. He might even rather lather directly on his face or even in his palm...there's not really any correct way to do it...just personal preference.

Good Luck in finding what you want!

Your boyfriend is going to have a very merry Christmas, indeed!

I am just now getting into the brush, soap, cream, bowl thing myself and this may help. I found a little bowl for lathering at a cluttered antique shop for only three dollars. It measures about 5" x 3" and the bottom fits comfortably in my hand. I have used it twice now and I whipped up some good lathers in it.

For the soaps I bought a couple of old Old Spice mugs that seem suitable for either making lather or holding a puck of soap. Not sure exactly how I am going to use them.

I use a lathering bowl. I remove the soap from its storage container to the wet, pre-heated bowl. I lather the soap in the bowl. I wipe off the excess lather and return the soap to the storage container. Then I continue building my lather in the bowl.

That's just me. YMMV. Etc, etc.

Tim

The nice thing about a scuttle or a separate lathering bowl is that you can place it in hot water for a while, dump the water and make the lather in the warm bowl. Then it's nice and warm when you apply it to the face.

Wow! Thank you, guys, for such helpful tips and info! I am not confused any more, but convinced we need an extra bowl. Now I have more questions. As many of you mentioned you can go with readily available and economic options of bowls, cups or such. Or there's still an option of going with a designated bowl from a shaving supply place that looks neat and goes together with other items. I found a beautiful bowl that would look really nice with what I already have.
http://store.crabtree-evelyn.com/edwin-jagger-acc130283.html

Now, here are the questions:

Is this a justified expense? I don't mind paying for the beauty of it (it's a gift after all), but do mind paying for useless beauty. It's black, some people don't recommend getting white bowls. I understand this porcelain bowl will retain heat for some time, but how important is the shape of the edges of the bowl. I seem to have picked up on the fact that you do use the edges of the bowls to rid of excess lather (or am I completely off???). Also, what are the chances of this thing slipping out and breaking? Do you handle it a lot with slippery fingers or it pretty much stays stationary? Any other things to consider?

As many of you mentioned you can go with readily available and economic options of bowls, cups or such. Or there's still an option of going with a designated bowl from a shaving supply place that looks neat and goes together with other items. I found a beautiful bowl that would look really nice with what I already have.
http://store.crabtree-evelyn.com/edwin-jagger-acc130283.html

Is this a justified expense? I don't mind paying for the beauty of it (it's a gift after all), but do mind paying for useless beauty. It's black, some people don't recommend getting white bowls.

That bowl looks to be perfect, although rather expensive. The bowl I currently use is also black, which I like; I can judge the density of the lather better by just looking into the bowl (especially in the morning when my eyes are still tired). On the other hand I've used light colored bowls and mugs before w/ no problem....it's all just personal taste IMO.

You may be able to find a similar bowl (or one you even like better) for much less money at a big chain store or specialty shop. Then you can spend the saved money on another cream or soap puck!:thumbup:

Good Hunting,

I've used many different types of bowls, and the best are fairly heavy (retains heat longer) and have some texture to the inside (not rough, but something to help "work" the brush). I have seen some soup bowls that are constructed with a handle like a coffee cup. That gives you a place to put a finger or thumb and help prevent slipping.

The bowl you indicated is very nice and quite effective, but the price is more for looks than anything else. If you want to save money, any bowl (ceeral, rice, soup, etc.) will do; the more expensive ones are just prettier to look at, with the exception of a scuttle. IMHO, these are designed better for keeping a warm lather than anything else. It's more of a luxury thing. A Ford Escape will get you where you want to go as well as a Lincoln Town Car. The difference is not in functionality. :biggrin1:

Great ideas, I picked up a huge latte mug for my 3 inch soaps works awesome! I have a smaller mug for lathering my creams in and I picked up a victorian candy dish which is massif as well for my Williams Mug Soap, all 3 work great you might even consider getting him a personalized mug too which would be another great idea.

Hi Showme --

Here's a post I entered regarding lather bowls, perhaps you'll find it helpful.

Most 'purpose made' soap bowls offered by shaving vendors (C&E, EJ, and the like) are too small and overpriced, IMO. Many of them are quite attractive and can be quite high quality; I just find them to be inadequate for the task. The exception are some of the offerings by potter-artisans who make scuttles and bowls for the on-line wet shaving community.

The other exceptions are soap bowl/containers offered by some brands of triple-milled shave soaps where the container is sized and specifically made for their product --like the one you linked to. These are best used to hold a cake of soap and are not used as a 'lather bowl'. The appropriate use for these is to hold the soap. In use, the user loads the brush on the soap held in the bowl, then builds the lather directly on the face. The bowl is really too small for any other usage.

HTH. Happy holidays, and all that. . .

-- John Gehman

I can understand that you'd not want, say, a thrift-shop mug or bowl, or a Wal-Mart item to give as a Christmas gift. How about looking around to see if you have a potter locally? Either that, or look for one of those places where you can choose raw ceramic items and decorate them yourself? Either way, you'd be giving your boyfriend something that's not only nice, but custom-made just for him.

The rule of thumb for me for lathering bowls is "earthenware or heavy porcelain, about the size and shape of a cereal bowl" Any good houseware store has a wide variety of such things. They'll be less expensive and just as nice as that Jagger bowl. I often use a white bowl and it doesn't make a difference really, but a dark interior does look nice.

Best Regards

Graham

Pogo

Hi Showme --

Here's a post I entered regarding lather bowls, perhaps you'll find it helpful.

Most 'purpose made' soap bowls offered by shaving vendors (C&E, EJ, and the like) are too small and overpriced, IMO. Many of them are quite attractive and can be quite high quality; I just find them to be inadequate for the task. The exception are some of the offerings by potter-artisans who make scuttles and bowls for the on-line wet shaving community.

The other exceptions are soap bowl/containers offered by some brands of triple-milled shave soaps where the container is sized and specifically made for their product --like the one you linked to. These are best used to hold a cake of soap and are not used as a 'lather bowl'. The appropriate use for these is to hold the soap. In use, the user loads the brush on the soap held in the bowl, then builds the lather directly on the face. The bowl is really too small for any other usage.

HTH. Happy holidays, and all that. . .

-- John Gehman
I'd listen to this man :)
I'll also echo that it should be some sort of heavy ceramic/stoneware, like a heavy cereal bowl or a wide mouthed latte mug. You want something wide enough to easily swirl up lather in, and it's nice if it's heavy because one, it'll retain heat, and two, it can rest in a sink full of hot water to keep even more heat.

Or if you really want to get fancy, you could order him the moss scuttle.

Good luck, and kudos to you for getting him a thoughtful gift!

My lathering bowl is a black, ceramic soup or cereal bowl that I bought for $0.74 at Wal-Mart. It is about 7" diameter and fairly thick/heavy. I have been using it for over a year and am completely satisfied with it.

Tim

Well, I looked at the scuttles online. They sure are interesting devices, but pricey. Great idea for a free-standing gift though. I'll keep that in mind.

In the last several days I checked out several stores with the thougtful guidelines for measurements and textures. I must say that every single place I went to had something to offer. My search is a little bit complicated by the fact that I am restricted by the color and form to match what I already have, but other than that, plenty to choose from.

It seems like the ideal choice would be actually not a cereal bowl, but a rice bowl. They are smaller, fit nicely in hand, in half of the cases (or even more) the inner surface is not sleek and shiny, but somewhat textured and matte. Seems like the perfect lathering bowl.

To throw a few names, Target has some interesting bowls. World Market has quite a selection in their Oriental cookware section. Belk's (I am in the South) has some nice bowls in their houseware section, I especially remember the brand Derby (made in England). Sango (I think somebody mentioned it in some discussions I looked through at this forum) has some really beautiful bowls. Not all of them are matte and textured inside, but some are. I noticed Sango at Belk's, Ross (Dress for less), and TJ Maxx. Ross had some nice rice bowls too.

Thank you SO much to all of you! Complete turnaround for me from being clueless to being confident that I can find what I envision as a gift.:001_smile

Top Bottom