What's new

gillette adjustable long black handle and short black handle?

i don't know much about these razors, so i'm asking the community for help on them. how long are the handles? what do they weigh? and are the handles made of plastic?
my only adjustables are a fatboy and two slims. i probably like the slims more because the weight is in the head though.

I bought one a few weeks ago . The handle is some kind of metal with a coating on it . For better grip maybe ? It shaves good enough for me to by another as a backup . I'm quite happy with it . It is a heavy razor , most of the weight is in the head though .

The adjustabel is pretty good, but I love the short handle black job. I usually get great shaves from them.

I picked this one up a few weeks ago. It does a very nice job. I don't find it heavy at all - lighter than my Slim, FB or Mergresses.

The handles are made of metal and are painted over for some reason.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
The Super Adjustable was manufactured from 1969 to 1986. The most desirable years are from 1969 to 1976, as beginning in 1977 a black polymer lower head plate was installed, in place of the metal plate. There were two versions, a long handle (109mm) and short handle (84mm). The handles are metal with a hard, black resin coating, hence the name "Black Beauties". They are wonderful razors and my favorite of all the Gilllette adjustables.

The short handle version is on my short list of razors on my future wish list. I need to tame down the purchases for a little while :-|

Fatboy 78g 7.6cm

LH SA 70g 10cm

Slim 72g 8cm

I think I love playing with the things as much as shaving with them.

Click! Click! Click!

The Super Adjustable was manufactured from 1969 to 1986. The most desirable years are from 1969 to 1976, as beginning in 1977 a black polymer lower head plate was installed, in place of the metal plate. There were two versions, a long handle (109mm) and short handle (84mm). The handles are metal with a hard, black resin coating, hence the name "Black Beauties". They are wonderful razors and my favorite of all the Gilllette adjustables.
The Super handle is aluminum with a black resin coating. I think Gillette switched from the nickel plated brass handle on the Slim to save weight, and very likely cost. Overall I like the longer handle of the Super, but prefer the larger diameter TTO knob of the Slim.

Besides the black plastic base plate in the post-1976 Supers, other metal parts in the head, like the doors, are made of thinner stock, so it's noticeably lighter than the earlier models. I pick up a 1978 Super on eBay a few years ago for $11 and change, and found I preferred the greater weight of my O2 (1969) version. Gave the 1978 to a friend who found she liked the lighter weight for shaving her legs.

That said I'm off to the health club for a workout and a shave from my travel kit: Slim, Dorco 301, Omega Syntex, Irisch Moos stick, and Nivea ASB.

Last edited:

I bought one of these in high school, it had the polymer plate, would have been the 77-78 time frame. As much as I can remember about it, it shaved very well.

thanks for the help, i thought the entire handles were plastic. now if you had to pick between a long handle and a short handle.. which would you pick?

do you have the long or the short handle? most of the posts i read say the long handle is better.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

+1 Prefer the Super Adjustable over others.

i don't know much about these razors, so i'm asking the community for help on them. how long are the handles? what do they weigh? and are the handles made of plastic?
my only adjustables are a fatboy and two slims. i probably like the slims more because the weight is in the head though.
I like the long handle Super Adjustable Black Beauty.

Gus/BOTOC

Top Bottom