What's new

Australian Shave Creams - We are Blessed Down Under

I've finally tested all the Australian shaving creams that I can find by walking into shops locally. I haven't hunted any down on the internet, so that I've probably missed many.

Here is my assessment, and I will be interested to see what other Australian members think.

1. Faulding "Shave", $2 to $3 per 75gm tube - better than Arko Regular, not as slippery as Erasmic cream, dries out a bit quickly.

2. Palmolive Shaving Cream, $2 to $3 per 65gm tube - better than Arko Regular, not as slippery as Erasmic cream, dries out a bit quickly.

3. Oriental Shaving Cream, $17 for 500gm jar - on par with, or slightly better than the previous two. I haven't quite made up my mind.

4. Windsor Shave Cream, $7 per 150ml tube - nearly on par with Trumpers shave cream. Rich lather and very slippery.

5. Natio Shave Gel & Natio Shave Cream, $10 per 150gm tube - these two are brushless, and I really can't tell much difference between the gel and cream versions. Both are rich and very slippery. Much better than the Neutrogena brushless shave cream, and nearly on par with the slipperiness of Trumpers shave cream.

6. David Jones Ultra Rich shave cream, $11 per 175gm tube - this brushless cream feels richer than the two Natio ones, but curiously is slightly less slippery. Still, the shave is great.

7. Trishave 3 in 1 anti-rash shave creme, $8 per 100gm tube - this brushless cream is found in most supermarkets. It has lots of menthol and claims to clean before shaving and moisturise after shaving, as well as being a good shaving cream. It's not as slippery as the Natio and David Jones creams, but still delivers a good nick free shave with my Merker 33C.

The Windsor Shave soap at $10 is as good as most of my other vegetable soap pucks, and the Comoy soap puck which I used today, delivered a pleasant nick free shave - though I've seen others criticize it here. But it's not worth posting about them separately in the Soap forum.

I think that we get a very good deal down here with the locally made products.
Regards,
Renato

P.S. I'd rate both the two Natio products and the David Jones one ahead of the more expensive brushless Body Shop Macca Root shave cream (even though it too is a pretty good product). I'd rate the Trishave one as on par with the Body Shop one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. Always good to learn about products from elsewhere.

BTW-Where is the Palmolive produced?

Fauldings is one of the best smelling creams I have tried,but the worst for lather.I think it is better suited as a brushless rub-on cream.Australian Plmolive sticks are great,and I tried Windsor shave cream and aftershave this morning,however,mine came from the Czech Republic.If possible,can you post photos of the Comoy and Windsor pucks ? Haven't seen those before.

Fauldings is one of the best smelling creams I have tried,but the worst for lather.I think it is better suited as a brushless rub-on cream.Australian Plmolive sticks are great,and I tried Windsor shave cream and aftershave this morning,however,mine came from the Czech Republic.If possible,can you post photos of the Comoy and Windsor pucks ? Haven't seen those before.

If you like the scent why don't you get some scent-free cream or soap and mix in the Fauldings.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Out of those, the Australian Palmolive is the best buy that I could find.

Thanks for the information. Always good to learn about products from elsewhere.

BTW-Where is the Palmolive produced?

That particular version of Palmolive is made in Australia.

The Windsor puck in the gold tin has a review here.
http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=47735&title=windsor-shave-soap&cat=40

Unfortunately, the Comoy puck which has for months been on Australian Ebay for $3 plus $3 postage, has suddenly disappeared. When I've looked at various grooming sites I have seen it included in toiletry sets, but it would be a needle in a haystack problem finding it again, as google doesn't throw it up.
Regards,
Renato

Out of those, the Australian Palmolive is the best buy that I could find.

When one takes volume per tube into account, the Windsor cream winds up being the same price as the undiscounted Palmolive cream at $3 per 65gm tube (sometimes $3.50 in expensive chemists), which to my mind makes Windsor the best buy.

Also, the Windsor cream is nearly as good as Trumpers cream, which costs $22 per 75gm tube, i.e. six times more than Windsor on a per volume basis.

The only problem with Windsor cream is that it is difficult to find - there only ever seems to be at most one chemist in a town or shopping centre that stocks it. Curiously, the Windsor soap puck is in a lot more chemists.

The Natio products effectively cost $4.32 for 65gm, which make them only a third dearer than the Palmolive cream. It's a shame they don't lather up, because their performance is better than that of the Palmolive.

It's also a shame that in all these comparisons I seem to be canning both Fauldings and Palmolive, because to my mind, each is still significantly better than most of the canned foams and gels that I used to use before "discovering" them.
Regards,
Renato

Luc

Staff member
When one takes volume per tube into account, the Windsor cream winds up being the same price as the undiscounted Palmolive cream at $3 per 65gm tube (sometimes $3.50 in expensive chemists), which to my mind makes Windsor the best buy.

Also, the Windsor cream is nearly as good as Trumpers cream, which costs $22 per 75gm tube, i.e. six times more than Windsor on a per volume basis.

The only problem with Windsor cream is that it is difficult to find - there only ever seems to be at most one chemist in a town or shopping centre that stocks it. Curiously, the Windsor soap puck is in a lot more chemists.

The Natio products effectively cost $4.32 for 65gm, which make them only a third dearer than the Palmolive cream. It's a shame they don't lather up, because their performance is better than that of the Palmolive.

It's also a shame that in all these comparisons I seem to be canning both Fauldings and Palmolive, because to my mind, each is still significantly better than most of the canned foams and gels that I used to use before "discovering" them.
Regards,
Renato

Isn't Palmolive $1.65 at Safeways?

The Fauldings is so hard to lather it would only downgrade anything you added it to.There are so many creams available worldwide it just wouldn't be worth it.

i dont really agree with that its not as good as aus palmolive but its not hard to lather well when you get the hang of it. the best thing you can do is kill the lather with extra water add a tad more cream and then rework the lather.

Is Otoko shave soap an Australian product? I had to buy it from an Australian vendor because I couldn't find it anywhere else. It's really great stuff.

Isn't Palmolive $1.65 at Safeways?

When it's on sale, I've sometimes seen it as low as $1.89, but usually it's around $2.80 there.

But I've also picked up a tube of Windsor on sale for $4.95 at one chemist.
Regards,
Renato

Where did you find the Oriental Shaving Cream? Is it the Turnley's one here http://www.turnleys.com.au/images/turnleys/files/Barber%20Posters%202012.pdf?

I wonder if it's similar to the JM Fraser's cream (which I believe is now discontinued, but I have one NIB in my stash).
Yes, it's the one in that image.
I'm pretty sure some Shavers Shops stocked it, but I just bought mine from the barber who cuts my hair (HairMax, Nepean Hwy, Mordialloc ).

I don't know the Fraser's cream.
Regards,
Renato

Luc

Staff member
When it's on sale, I've sometimes seen it as low as $1.89, but usually it's around $2.80 there.

But I've also picked up a tube of Windsor on sale for $4.95 at one chemist.
Regards,
Renato

You got to look for those specials... Always! :wink:

Is Otoko shave soap an Australian product? I had to buy it from an Australian vendor because I couldn't find it anywhere else. It's really great stuff.

I remember reading about it here. There are quite a few other Australian shave creams around, but I've just limited myself to what can be found by walking into shops around here.
Does Otoko lather or is it brushless?
Regards,
Renato

In Adelaide the Palmolive is around $2.20, when I am running low on soaps and creams I always get a tube of this to tide me over. I have yet to try the Fauldings.

Top Bottom