What's new

I love DR Harris (and other reasons you should ignore my reviews of ANYTHING)

I have no idea which soaps are good or bad. I can't gauge brush density with any scientific margin of error. I don't know what anything smells like, and even if I hate it now, it's very possible that I will like it tomorrow. Also, I am biased about everything.

I can cite all kinds of examples. For instance, it seems that lately I've heard about poor performance from GFT soaps. You know what? Since hearing of it, I think I've been getting poorer performance. I tried some Violet a few days ago, and got disappearing lather. But then I really went to town on it with a soap-destroying brush, and got nice lather from hand-lathering. Did I load more when I hand lathered, or is it harder to really tell good lather when it's not on your face? I don't know. Maybe I'm too used to soft soaps like RazoRock.

Today, I shaved with Fraser's Mosswood. It's a cream, which is supposed to be not as slick as soap. While it's well-regarded, I've also read comments from some saying it's not as good as high-end creams. You know what? Awesome shave. My hunch is that part of the problem with creams is that they lather so fast...instantly...guys don't work the brush on the face as long as with soap--which in my opinion is the single biggest factor in getting a good shave. Then again, my theory falls apart when considering bowl latherers, since I guess they spend the same amount of time on the face with both creams and soaps. Dang bowlers...they always irritate me. :001_tt2: So again, I don't know! I don't know anything!

Here's another example of why I can't be trusted. I love DR Harris. When they sent me a sample of Windsor, they included this post card.

$harris.jpg

Do you see how cool that is? Do you see the provenance, history, heritage? Do you get that with Mama Bears? No. By the way, $1000 dollars on the table and I probably would not be able to tell the difference between Mama Bear lather and Czech and Speake lather.

So don't ask me! I don't know anything!

View attachment 266673

Awesome post --and quite refreshing. :thumbup1:

They sent me the same postcard. It's nice to look at; inspirational even. Cheers Dr. Harris & Cheers Vlad.

Great post Vlad. And yeah, D.R. Harris is the first place I would head to if I ever made London. BTW, we don't know anything either but we sure like think we do.

Cheers, Todd

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
One night I had the fellas over for a Johnnie Walker scotch-tasting. All of the different labels were on hand. The Red, Black, Green, Gold and Blue. This was my score:

Red = Green
Green = Red
Black = Blue
Blue = Black
Gold = Gold (if I got this wrong I might have been johnniesnotsure)

So whatever you don't want to know about scotch, just ask.
I am sure my scotch acumen applies to shaving products as well.

Thanks for shedding light on the fact that we are truly in the dark. At the very least we can make out shapes. :wink:

So, what did you think of the Windsor? Or was it Williams? :biggrin:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I really liked your post.

:thumbup:

... but then again, I too know nothing, and my opinion should be strenuously disregarded.

great, enjoyable post - and i don't even like D. R. Harris - the product that is. Now, the history, the shoppe, the postcard, that is something else entirely :biggrin1:

I'd like to have an 11x14 of my Harris post card hanging on my bedroom wall. Love those Harris soaps. #5 is on it's way to me.

Love Harris. My opinion should be taken with a few extra drops of water and mixed vigorously....

Top Bottom