What's new

Bottle Cap Brush Project

For a long time I had a bottle cap from a bottle that had long since served its purpose and was thrown away. I saved the cap because it was better quality than the bottle it came with and I thought it could be used on another bottle in the future. However, I was looking at one of my boar brushes and saw that the handle was the same size as this bottle cap.

I knew I had a TGN Synthetic knot at my disposal and then one thing led to another. I stained and finished the wood with Minwax® Polycrylic®. After increasing the bore of the cap slightly and filling the inside with epoxy and BBs for ballast, I proceeded to finish the knot with epoxy and the rest is seen in the images below.

proxy.php

Gary that's beautiful and another wonderful brush. That would look good next to my custom Burma Shave brush....just saying :001_smile

Here is the inspiration for the Bottle Cap brush. The Shaving Factory boar brush was one that I really liked because it came in a "broken in" mode right from the first use. I liked the size of the handle and when I saw it ...

proxy.php

Here is a first lather with current formulation Williams soap. Yes, I mostly use current formulation Williams as a brush break in and testing soap.

proxy.php

proxy.php

This was a nice moist lather. I applied one test face pass and there was enough for another plus a head lather.

The handle is nice a balanced and fits well in my hand.

This will do nicely! :biggrin1:

This does a great job of face lathering. Quick and easy with more than enough for a head shave and two to three face passes with one brush load.

Your brush has kindled my muse. When I saw your bottle cap handle, it made me remember that I had a marble wine cork that had most of its cork broken off. The hole appears to be 22mm wide but very shallow (which means trying to make a deeper hole in solid marble. What do you think?

$DSC03804.jpg

Your brush has kindled my muse. When I saw your bottle cap handle, it made me remember that I had a marble wine cork that had most of its cork broken off. The hole appears to be 22mm wide but very shallow (which means trying to make a deeper hole in solid marble. What do you think?

For a rock, marble is actually pretty soft (It's composed of Calcite, No. 3 of 10 on the Moh's Hardness Scale) so it should be fairly easy to grind out a deeper hole. Take it slow and easy, keep it wet and cool, and protect yourself from the dust. I'll be interested to see the end result. I think it has great potential.

Top Bottom