What's new

Cops and tattoos.

...tattoos have been worn dated to all most 2500 years ago representing nobility, tribe, status,job or punishments. Most tattoos were worn with pride showing you have achieved something you are proud of. Still true to this day most people get tattoos of things they love or are meaningful not always but in most cases so what is it that offends the non tattooed so much that they feel the need to discriminate, or turn up there noses at the tattooed person? I would like to know because I guess I never really asked before.....

I believe many people do stereotype the tattoo wearer to some degree. That before they get to know the person they make assumptions because non-military tats are associated with being too rebellious or not conforming with societal norms. Although tats are becoming common enough that the opposite may be true in some social circles.

Another aspect could be summed up by this familiar quote from a children's story. Whether talking about all tatoos in general, or a very specific image on a single person. Just substitute "tattoo" for "word":

"When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less." "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Where HumptyDumpty is the tattoo wearer displaying something with a specific meaning in mind. But everyone else receives a different message with different meanings.

wow, you truly compare having a tatt to having purple hair spiked into a mohawk? okay, that explains a few things. I guess we're just not all on the same wavelength about the meaning of ink. the punk look is meant to be counter-culture, having your wife's name tattoed on your arm shouldn't be in my opinion but I think I'm getting too invested in this discussion...

live and let live, peace out!

We may need to review the concept of 'analogy ' here.

I believe many people do stereotype the tattoo wearer to some degree. That before they get to know the person they make assumptions because non-military tats are associated with being too rebellious or not conforming with societal norms. Although tats are becoming common enough that the opposite may be true in some social circles.

I don't look at tatts as being rebellious anymore unless there is a hidden message there that only a few understand. 15 years ago yeah it was rebellious but not now, a lot of ellite sports athlete's have them and we let our kids look up to them and come into our schools to mingle with the kids? 20 years ago I doubt many schools would have allowed that?

I don't look at tatts as being rebellious anymore unless there is a hidden message there that only a few understand. 15 years ago yeah it was rebellious but not now, a lot of ellite sports athlete's have them and we let our kids look up to them and come into our schools to mingle with the kids? 20 years ago I doubt many schools would have allowed that?
I don't disagree with your points. Tats have become common enough that much of their negative stigma and rebellious statement power has been lost, at least to many in Gen-X and Gen-Y, but it still exists in some peoples minds, which feeds into this debate of whether Cops should have visible tattoos.

They have become common enough that I might predict their popularity will wane among Gen-Z kids as the become adults, as a way to separate themselves from the prior generation. Much like the rebellious long hair on men is not as popular as it was decades ago. Which is another way of saying they will become more acceptable.

I don't disagree with your points. Tats have become common enough that much of their negative stigma and rebellious statement power has been lost, at least to many in Gen-X and Gen-Y, but it still exists in some peoples minds, which feeds into this debate of whether Cops should have visible tattoos.

They have become common enough that I might predict their popularity will wane among Gen-Z kids as the become adults, as a way to separate themselves from the prior generation. Much like the rebellious long hair on men is not as popular as it was decades ago. Which is another way of saying they will become more acceptable.

Pretty much goes in circles and as they are the trend over the last 10 years and I tend to agree that in the next 10 they will not be as popular.

Popular or not I don't think they are fitting on a cop. If we could gaurantee that all tatts will be socially acceptable on cops then I have no probs but that would be hard to manage.

All it takes is one tattoo of Elmer Fudd sexually molesting Donald Duck to make it look bad. Just like it takes 1 dog to defecate on the beach for the 'No Dogs Allowed' sign to go up.

We may need to review the concept of 'analogy ' here.

I'll skip the enlightenment session, thanks.

maybe this is a language/concept hurdle thing, English isn't my mother tongue.
the point I was trying to make is that if one makes a prejudgement on a tattooed individual because they have an emotional response that reminds them of the negative/criminal behaviour of "heavily tattooed" gangsters, then they might want to re-evaluate that response by looking at other aspects of these criminals and wondering whether those aspects would evoke the same response on their own with people emulating that as well.

and my analogy using brown hair was perfectly on point from my perspective. I don't see being tattooed as being particularly out of the ordinary therefore I chose brown hair as a comparison. Then again I wouldn't have a negative response to someone with spiky purple hair either so what do I know. I'm only 42 after all.

anyway I'm done with this discussion. I'm sticking to the bacon food group thing.

:drool:

I don't have a strong opinion on this, but it never ceases to amaze me that people get tattoos to change the way they present themselves to others, then complain when people treat them differently.
Don't give me that "I got the tattoo for myself, not for others" line. You barely notice your own tattoos after a while, but they stand out to anyone else who sees them for the first time. Some tattoos you can't even see yourself! Tattoos are always done for other people's viewing, no matter what they say.
Don't get a tattoo unless you can deal with the consequences. You won't always get the reaction you are hoping for.

I would have a little less respect for a cop showing a tattoo. A rebellious streak (perceived or actual) is totally at odds with the clean-cut message a cop should be sending. It opens him to accusations of hypocrisy, reducing the chance of him being respected and making it harder for him to do his job.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't have a strong opinion on this, but it never ceases to amaze me that people get tattoos to change the way they present themselves to others, then complain when people treat them differently.
Don't give me that "I get the tattoo for myself, not for others" line. You barely notice your own tattoos after a while, but they stand out to anyone else who sees them for the first time. Some tattoos you can't even see yourself! Tattoos are always done for other people's viewing, no matter what they say.
Don't get a tattoo unless you can deal with the consequences. You won't always get the reaction you are hoping for.

I would have a little less respect for a cop showing a tattoo. A rebellious streak (perceived or actual) is totally at odds with the clean-cut message a cop should be sending. It opens him to accusations of hypocrisy, reducing the chance of him being respected and making it harder for him to do his job.

Actually, mine was for me. I got tired of removing my wedding ring every time I worked around electricity or washed my hands. I no longer have to worry about that now.

Don't give me that "I got the tattoo for myself, not for others" line. You barely notice your own tattoos after a while, but they stand out to anyone else who sees them for the first time. Some tattoos you can't even see yourself! Tattoos are always done for other people's viewing, no matter what they say.

Not everyone likes Da vinci, Monet, Brukowski, Smith or Corruthers.

It actually makes it harder for all cops tattoed or not to do their jobs. When public opinion of the police force goes down the last thing you want to see is half your police force covered in tatts.

+1 million.

So, a cop's appearance doesn't effect whether people take him seriously or not, eh?

$Tour_Route_2.jpg

My wife has a cousin who's an underover detective in a southwest city. He's got a tat on his arm - Asian characters, I have no idea so I ask him, Eric, what does yout tattoo say... he answers me..."police detective"!

I have a couple from long ago, and I don't much care if others are tattooed. That said, the reality is that a lot of companies DO care, so it is prudent to be discreet, depending on your work. Anything on the neck or face will likely make some people suspicious, or at least wonder about you. Fair or not, it is what it is.

Last edited:
don't give me that "i got the tattoo for myself, not for others" line. You barely notice your own tattoos after a while, but they stand out to anyone else who sees them for the first time. Some tattoos you can't even see yourself! Tattoos are always done for other people's viewing, no matter what they say.

wow...

Top Bottom