What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

proxy.php

Caol Ila 12 is one of my favorites. I'm wondering how the 18 compares. Have you had the 12 year?
I have had the 12 year and it is outstanding. I am not all that great at comparisons, particularly when the products are not side by side. If memory of the 12yr is correct, it is not quite as smooth as the 18yr and a tad less smokey. We are talking minute differences here.

Here at my favorite liquor store the 12yr is $80. I purchased the 18yr in a store at the Gatwick airport in England and I want to say that it was $60, but that was back in '04. I'm sure the 18yr is well north of $100 so there is that consideration.

Bottom line, you wouldn't go wrong with either choice!

Last night:

Hemingway Daiquiri (Not sure of the rum as it was at a bar)
Martin Miller Gin in a martini
2014 Domaine Durieu, Grenache/Syrah, Ventoux, Rhone Valley
Grahams 6 grapes port

I have had the 12 year and it is outstanding. I am not all that great at comparisons, particularly when the products are not side by side. If memory of the 12yr is correct, it is not quite as smooth as the 18yr and a tad less smokey. We are talking minute differences here.

Here at my favorite liquor store the 12yr is $80. I purchased the 18yr in a store at the Gatwick airport in England and I want to say that it was $60, but that was back in '04. I'm sure the 18yr is well north of $100 so there is that consideration.

Bottom line, you wouldn't go wrong with either choice!
Thanks for the comparison. I first had the 12 in a restaurant and kept my eyes open for a bottle. Found it in an island package store for $55! Haven't seen it for less than $70 since. It'll have to be an occasion for the 18!

Muddle 2-3 cherry tomatoes (or other small, bite-sized tomato) in a shaker with about 1 oz of olive brine. I have used fresh herbs (thyme, oregano, and/or basil) in this step as well.

Into the shaker, add 2 oz Vodka, a dash of Sriracha or other pepper sauce, and a couple of ice cubes. Cap and shake well.

Strain into a martini glass over several olives and tomatoes. Finish with a twist of lime.

I don't bother with a pick for the garnishes. I stick 3-4 each tomatoes and olives and just pour the drink over them.

For the olives, I really like Mazzetta's Garlic stuffed olives.

My wife calls it the "Pizzatini", however I prefer the "Freshly Soiled Martini" as a nod to the Bloody Mary Fresh from the El Dorado, and the base Dirty Martini.

I absolutely hate Bloody Mary's but this sounds very intriguing . Fresh and different!

Top Bottom