What's new

Electric Shaver vs Safety Razor

Hi new to the forum here.

I have been using my Phillips Norelco Electric shaver for about 9 months. Before that I rarely used it unless I was in rush. Instead I used a generic disposable cartridge razor.

The problem with the cartridge razor is every few shaves I will get ingrown hairs. Either on my cheeks, near the ear area, or on the jawline. They are ugly and painful. :sneaky2: One of them seems to have scarred and it left a faded, but noticeable dark brown spot on my face. That was 9 months ago and it hasn't gone away. So I stopped using cartridge razors.

The electric isn't very good at all. 1.5 days after a shave the shadow and hair is already visible. I don't even have a thick beard. The razor doesn't cut the hairs very well either. I have to press quite firmly and then I get razor burn which lasts a couple of hours.

I usually keep a goatee or go clean shaven. The hair on my cheeks and neck grows in curly like my head. It also grows in patchy like opposed to my mustache and goatee.

I want to know if it's worth getting a Double blade Saftey Razor. I have watched videos and a few guys said you won't or rarely get ingrown hairs. That's the only thing I really care about, I don't want a marked up face.

thanks all!

Welcome, I myself am new to the forum. Used a Norelco wet/dry for a decade before switching to wet shaving with a DE 2 weeks ago. Its night and day for me. My face is smooth and clear and zero irritation. This was my line of thought: buy another set of blades for the electric for $30, or spend $50 and try out a new way to shave and save money if it works. Granted, you hang out here long enough and you wont save any money, but you just might enjoy your shave!

Good luck.

Learned to shave on an electric. Later went to a cartridge razor and had the same problem you do. So I went back to an electric. Then someone told me to switch to a straight. It solved the problem but the shave was so close I couldn't keep myself shaved daily or even every other day. Then stepped up (or down) to a DE razor. Perfect. No ingrown hairs and daily shaves. I occasionally use the straight when I need a very close shave still. But I haven't gone back to my electric or my fusion cartridge since I discovered old razors.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Marlo and welcome aboard the B & B (besides being enrolled in the fictional, sacred and utopian Order of Shavedom). Please feel free to come up to the promenade / sun deck &
'sit-a-spell' (...Yeah Baby!!!).

Sounds like you're 'on the fence', but you know what...this Forum has the knowledge, ideas, and all around 'know-how' to assist in your Wet-Shaving experience. In a nut-shell, after you read about The Zen of Shaving...your 'gonna' love it here.

Read More: http://zenhabits.net/the-zen-of-shav...nge-your-life/
I would suggest 'file 13ing' your electric shaver, purchase the 'tools' of the trade and 'jump right into' this forum with both feet
proxy.php
(and with proper use of the 3 P's of shaving...practice, patience and procedure [technique], will decrease your ingrown hairs).

When you get a DE razor, either vintage or modern (or both), it's was wise and sage advice to get a Razor Blade Sampler (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...pack?highlight), so that you'll see what blade would be a good fit (mild, moderate & aggressive, ect...), for your face and razor.

Also, the Thread entitled Wet Shaving Instructions & Tutorials (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...THIS-THREAD%21), maybe of great interest to you and is very informative to include shaving videos by member Mantic @ http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59. And don't forget the 3 P's of shaving...practice, patience and procedure (technique).

Although, you may not be additted yet (I think I'm holding up fairly well...with a few exceptions), because we all suffer (gladly and are doomed perhaps), from this shaving complusion (and other Acquisition Disorders), because at times..."Resistance is futile".
proxy.php

"Lead us not into temptation. Just tell us where it is; we'll find it". Sam Levenson

Please don't forget once you get time....to tell us a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame sub-forum.

proxy.php
"Don't worry about the [cuts, weepers and] nicks and pick up your life...forget all the bad things, the pain and the strife". Author Unknown

Last edited:
Welcome! I used an electric razor for years (both Philishave and Braun) before I started wet shaving.
I would get the worst razor burn on my neck from a cartridge.
With an electric it was much better, but not perfect and too time consuming to get a good shave.
When I switched over to DE, I had no irritation at all.
Yes, it will take time and practice to get there, but when you do....Wow! what a difference.

Read through the forums and ask questions.
We're here to help.

It was plain skin irritation, red blotches that didn't fade quickly, plus missed patches that the hair grew slightly differently in, and whatever shaving system I tried using from among Mach3s and Quattros and Norelcos would leave them behind.

Never having had ingrown problems on my face or neck, part of your overall question I cannot address. However, when it comes to getting a clean shave with minimum strokes, minimum "passes", It's SEs, not DEs, that take the cake. Injectors, particularly, are so easy to use, and to get a Damn Fine Shave from, they will seem like cheating when you try them, compared to anything else.

A DE isn't going to solve your problems. Learning proper techniques and using better products will, since ingrowns are caused by bad shaving habits.

thanks for the welcome :001_smile

I started cartridge when I was young, but got an electric as a gift 3 years ago.

It's the cartridge that gives me ingrown hairs often, not the electric. The electric sometimes gives me razor burn though and it doesn't work well. It's a 3 head electric shaver.

Maybe my technique is no good with the cartridge. Usually I shave straight across with the grain and against the grain for the neck. Sometimes I find myself having to go back for missed hairs. Maybe it's how the cartridge razor cuts the hair or the fact that It's curly so it grows in wrong sometimes.

I watched a video from this shaving guru on youtube who use a merkur DE razor. I will check out those links and read the sample information.

thanks again.

I had razorburn problems with electric for many years till I solved it.

My solution was to use soaps that washed and really dried my skin out - like Johnson& Johnson Clean and Clear soap bar or Sapoderm soap bar (i.e. drying medicated type soap bars, not moisturising ones) - then wait for my face to dry. Not only did I get an irritation free shave, the life of my cutters went from 6 months to over three years.

Generic disposable cartridge razors I usually find a lot more irritating than proper cartridge razors. I get great irritation free shaves using,
Gillette Fusion (not Proglide) with most slippery creams like Trumpers.
5 Blade Schick Hydro with it's lubricating goo and standard canned foam (it doesn't work well with good shave creams)
King of Shaves Azor with good brushed on soaps (it too doesn't work well with good shave creams).

For irritation free DE shaving I very much prefer an old Gillette Tech razor with standard stainless steel blades, like Gillette SuperThin or Supermax Stainless Steel) or my Weber DLC razor with very sharp Feather or Astra SP blades, used with good soaps and creams. All my other DE razors aren't as mild as the three cartridge/soap combinations I've listed above, and I have to use premium cream and soaps to get a good shave from them.

Regards,
Renato

I'm with Marlo here - carts gave me ingrowns, electrics never. However the electrics were expensive ($500 for a Braun 7 series) and ongoing maintenance was a cost/time investment.

Since switching to wet/DE I get a lot of comments on skin being clearer, smoother, healthier.

Do it Marlo!

However the electrics were expensive ($500 for a Braun 7 series) and ongoing maintenance was a cost/time investment.

Philips rotary shavers with double-action cutters were top of the line 20 years ago, mid range 10 years ago and bottom of the line currently. But they still do the same good job they did back then. Mains powered units can be picked up for $30 when on sale, and they do a very good job, providing one dries one's skin out in the manner I describe above.

I'm mystified as to why anyone would spend $500 on an electric shaver, unless they had some dire need to shave with them under a shower or while scuba diving.
Cheers,
Renato

Philips rotary shavers with double-action cutters were top of the line 20 years ago, mid range 10 years ago and bottom of the line currently. But they still do the same good job they did back then. Mains powered units can be picked up for $30 when on sale, and they do a very good job, providing one dries one's skin out in the manner I describe above.

I'm mystified as to why anyone would spend $500 on an electric shaver, unless they had some dire need to shave with them under a shower or while scuba diving.
Cheers,
Renato
Yeah the 3 head razor just doesn't cut the hairs well. I have no experience with any other electric razors but I heard Braun are ok.

Welcome to B&B!

I have shaved with electrics for years and would still choose it over a multibladed cart razor but both gave me bumps every now an then. Even though with my current knowledge of my face and prep I might actually be able to shave with multiblades, I just won't.

Considering it takes 1,5 days for your whiskers to show after an electric shave, I guess your growth is quite mild. You could start with a very mild razor take your time to master it.

The other way to get started is stick with your cartridge razor for now and work on your prep first. Good quality cream/soap and a brush does not need to break the bank. With good lather, less pressure and a gentle multipass shave, I think you would be amazed about the difference. When you have the lathering sorted, dive into the world of safety razors.

If DE/SE razors intimidate you, you can also enjoy the virtues of shaving with a single blade with the Gillette Guard. This razor is not intended for the western market but is available at westcoastshaving. It's what I use for travel and gives me an irritation free shave.

Welcome! I myself am in the process of ditching an electric razor for a DE. For me, I wasn't satisfied with all the money I was spending on my Mach 3 for shaves that were lack luster at best. 3 years ago I started using an electric, which was very convenient. Now, I'm sick of two things. 1: I can never seem to shave one spot on my neck. 2: I can only shave once a week because i'll get really bad razor burn.

So far, I'm liking the change but I'm only one shave in and need to work on my technique.

I had as much trouble with electrics as cartridges.

In my lifetime, I must have had between 10-20 electrics, as I was always trying to find that one razor that would finally be worth it. (did the same with cartridges).

With the electrics I hoped to escape the ingrowns, the burn, the rashes, the cuts, etc. and nope, I still got all of those.

I switched to DE, and went from hating to shave to enjoying it quite a lot.

The ingrowns are rare and usually due to a really hard-headed whisker that insist on growing at an angle, and aside the beginner's phase with a few burns and weepers (mostly), today I'd have to say that it's night and day.

I still use a trimmer to trim the beard, but the shaving is now fun, pretty much like many in here, as a hobby.

I had used Panasonic's Wet/Dry razors for many years and had shaving rashes and ingrown hairs; same with cartridge razors. These days I'm stictly wet shaving with DE blades. Blade of choice is PolSilver Super Iridium, and I were you and new to DE shaving, I'd look for a Gillette Tech razor--it's not for beginners alone, but for seasoned wet shavers, too. Welcome and good shaving.

Top Bottom