What's new

Muhle R41 comparison to the EJ 89

They are completely different. If you haven't tried many other razors, I would suggest against the R41. As the step leading up to it, maybe a Merkur Progress or some vintage adjustable. Merkur slants are also popular.

The R41 is basically a DE blade stapled to the end of a handle. I love it, but it's probably the most re-sold razor.

They are completely different. If you haven't tried many other razors, I would suggest against the R41. As the step leading up to it, maybe a Merkur Progress or some vintage adjustable. Merkur slants are also popular.

The R41 is basically a DE blade stapled to the end of a handle. I love it, but it's probably the most re-sold razor.

Thanks I was tempted to pull the trigger. I am new and have tried 4 razors so far, slim adj, tech, a 46-47 aristocrat and the 89. Im comparing everything it the 89, I like it the best. Tech is too mild, I don't like the adjustables. What's next for me ?

Do not be afraid of the R41. It gives a very close, very long lasting and dare I say, smooth shave? Yes, it is agressive and I would advise anyone buying it to not go against the grain for the first week or so of usage until you really begin to get used to it.

I have both. It will will take me 4-5 passes with the DE89 to get a BBS shave. It will take me 2 passes with the R41, and a slight touchup in some areas.

I would even suggest it for N00bs as long as they don't go against the grain for the first two weeks and heed the mantra of NO Pressure. No Pressure. No Pressure.

I loved the smoothness of the 89 head. The EJ barley handle on it was my favorite, but the R41 cured me of RAD. It is totally different and requires a feather touch like a straight. It is essentially a safety razor without the safety! But I have never had a smoother more efficient shave! It even cleared the areas I usually struggled to get smooth or had to buff sometimes...
They're totally different except for the fact they both were designed well, but they weren't meant to shave the same when they designed the R41.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to pass on the 41 for now. Maybe the 38c, it's tuff because you have to pull the trigger on a 50.00 razor to see if you like it. I bought a slim adj in good condition and didn't like it, than 46-47 aristocrat too small, than a tech, needed 50 passes to get a good shave a was late for work WOW what's next

Do not be afraid of the R41. It gives a very close, very long lasting and dare I say, smooth shave? Yes, it is agressive and I would advise anyone buying it to not go against the grain for the first week or so of usage until you really begin to get used to it.

I have both. It will will take me 4-5 passes with the DE89 to get a BBS shave. It will take me 2 passes with the R41, and a slight touchup in some areas.

I would even suggest it for N00bs as long as they don't go against the grain for the first two weeks and heed the mantra of NO Pressure. No Pressure. No Pressure.

^ This. That said, you asked what's next for you: I'd suggest you get an R41 on the BST and cure your interest. If you choose not to, which it appears that's the way you are leaning, you may want to look for a Gillette New open comb or a FaTip. Both very smooth shavers that would be a good introduction to open combs.

I think this is crazy talk. My first razor was a merkur 34c. Used it 10 times then switched to the R41. The R41 was much easier to learn as a newb, and I had it down in a couple days. The feedback is so good it is really fast to learn. I don't understand why people keep thinking it is for advanced users just because it is agressive. Not my experience as a newb, that's for sure.

See my shaving journal for details of my progress.

I think this is crazy talk. My first razor was a merkur 34c. Used it 10 times then switched to the R41. The R41 was much easier to learn as a newb, and I had it down in a couple days. The feedback is so good it is really fast to learn. I don't understand why people keep thinking it is for advanced users just because it is agressive. Not my experience as a newb, that's for sure.

I think it actually makes you learn how to shave with a DE properly! My opinion is that people learn bad habits with other razors like too much pressure, not consistent blade angle, hooking at bottom of neckline, etc. Because the other razors are more forgiving, those bad habits aren't fixed. With the R41, those habits are necessarily corrected early. The R41 gives you great feedback and you can learn really quickly what you're doing wrong. It can also be harder on non-newbies who then try the R41, similar to those who have used cartridges for so long. I have tried cartridges and milder DEs after getting the R41, and I get better than I ever did with them before. I think this is because good technique makes your experience with any razor better.

I think it actually makes you learn how to shave with a DE properly! My opinion is that people learn bad habits with other razors like too much pressure, not consistent blade angle, hooking at bottom of neckline, etc. Because the other razors are more forgiving, those bad habits aren't fixed. With the R41, those habits are necessarily corrected early. The R41 gives you great feedback and you can learn really quickly what you're doing wrong. It can also be harder on non-newbies who then try the R41, similar to those who have used cartridges for so long. I have tried cartridges and milder DEs after getting the R41, and I get better than I ever did with them before. I think this is because good technique makes your experience with any razor better.

Same thing going to feathers for me, it made me better and in the end gave me a better shave. Right now I'm only using feathers and 7 o'clock blacks

How would the 41 compare to the 89. I love the 89l, it's my go to razor. I'm considering the Muhle R41 any thoughts on this

I too love my DE89. After reading up a lot on OCs I looked around for, and finally found, a 2010 R41. I would describe it generally speaking as an OC version of the DE89. If you're looking for a super aggressive razor and the current R41 sounds good to you, then go for it. But if you're looking for an open comb that's more like your DE89 haunt BST and look for a 2010 R41 (or post a WTB).

i certainly wouldnt be scared of the R41 as said above make sure you have a good technique and try an agressive razor you might preffer them. I was a DE89 guy until the R41 showed up now thats all I want to shave with.

Greetings fellow newbie! I agree with all of the above. I started with the EJ89 and have now finally tried my R41 for the first time recently, having gone in the following sequence: EJ89 - Weber ARC - Tradere OC - Weber DLC - Merkur 39C - R41.
I was apprehensive about the R41 but after having used it, agree with the other forum members. Although more aggressive by nature and design, it is not as daunting as advertised if respected. If anything, it is teaching me to hone the basic skills necessary for a decent shave with any razor - proper prep in terms of lather/skin, proper angle, low/no pressure, etc. Applying these rules, I consistently get a better, more efficient result overall - fewer passes with the more aggressive head. The R41 is probably not a good choice for a first time ever DE shave, but has great potential in the hands of a keen individual who has familiarized themselves with one of the milder razors first i.e. EJ89. Good luck :thumbup:

Don't be too afraid of the R41 - just give it the respect it deserves.

I went from an EJ86 to the R41 at the end of my 2nd month and have had some fantastic shaves off it. I seem to have done better with milder blades as the R41 makes this quite excellent. The fact this week has been a bit of a downer for me with the sharper Shark has just shown that I still need to work on my technique and not get complacent - and that's a good thing, imo.

Not sure how much these cost in the US but n the UK I paid £26 for mine and it's a superb piece of kit for very little outlay.

I too am new and really want to try the 41, but to be honest, am a little frightened. I did recently try the merkur open comb (I believe the 15c), with a weber bulldog handle. I'd say give that a shot as it's pretty mild for an open comb, but more aggressive than the 89 (which is the razor I started with and have been using for the last 3 months - and love). Good luck and that's my amateur advice. I swear I'm going to pull the trigger on the 41 soon :scared:

As a Newbie, when i first started if i would of used the R41 2011 head i would of given up on DE shaving for sure.

I would never recomend this razor to a Newbie, Someone coming from carts doesnt understand the angle of a DE , doesnt understand different razors require little or Zero pressure, The R41 Requires Zero, and one wrong move and some newbie is getting a nice slice :eek:/

Once you get more practice with good prep, mapping face, when and when not to apply pressure, how to direct razor in correct angle etc, then and then only try the R41, but not before. One thing i must say, that after i learned how to shave with the R41 i can shave with anything and fear nothing. Once you learn to shave with the R41 you can be fearless of the rest, at least for me that is what the R41 Has has done for me, Made me Fearless :eek:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom