What's new

How many computer monitors do you use?

How many monitors on your computer?

• More than two.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm back to work now and I use two 19" monitors with an extended desktop on Windows7.
When I was off, I used my laptop with a 15-some-odd inch monitor.

I sure missed my work setup.

So how many monitors do you use on your computer?

I currently have 2 19" monitors at work also. It enables more efficient workflow, except of course when B+B is up on 1 screen at all times...I might have to incorporate a 3rd B+B-dedicated monitor so that workflow remains 'efficient' :001_cool:

2 screens and 2 PCs, switching the screens (electronically) to suit the situation. A very versatile setup.
Mind you, two 24" widescreens next to each other is hard to take in all at once.

One 26 inch monitor. Large enough to tile all the active windows.

It's surprising how many applications/webpages are unusable unless they are maximised. Having 2 screens lets you maximise them and still "tile" across screens.
The real test is when you're at work and have to repeatedly copy data between applications. Having 2 screens lets you do the job four times faster by dragging selections across without having to keep scrolling.
Trust me, when you need it, you NEED it. The rest of the time it's merely a luxury.

I voted for one because I prefer using just one (at least 19 inch or bigger) at both work and home whenever I can.

But, there are times when I just can't get away with just one screen, then I really appreciate using an extra monitor or two.

At risk of sounding like an idiot, do both monitors have the same thing on them? How does this work?

It is really your choice on how you would like to use the second monitor, typically they would not have the same thing on, but they can do this (in my roommate days we had four monitors set up showing the same movie so that we all had a good view in the living room).

Really, the second monitor becomes an extension of the first one, to an extent. One is your primary monitor (think start bar and desktop) and the others are just extra space. You can drag a document or program from one to the other and your mouse pointer just kind of jumps through the air onto the second screen. For instance, I often work with documents that need changing - one screen will have the primary document body, next to that I keep the bibliography and appendix that will later attach to that document, and on the third screen I keep the internet (well not all the internet, just my access to it) for quick checks. It surprisingly saves a lot of time when you don't have to flick between tabs etc.

My only problem is that I start to feel a little claustrophobic when surrounded by too many screens for too long:bored::sod::sod::sod:

one and only one.I'm 35 but still like reviewing stuff on paper. when i did Insurance I had to print a financial report, all 80 pages, and sift through it. I just CANNOT sit there on a computer and read it and take it all in. i don't know, just old school.

It is really your choice on how you would like to use the second monitor, typically they would not have the same thing on, but they can do this (in my roommate days we had four monitors set up showing the same movie so that we all had a good view in the living room).

Really, the second monitor becomes an extension of the first one, to an extent. One is your primary monitor (think start bar and desktop) and the others are just extra space. You can drag a document or program from one to the other and your mouse pointer just kind of jumps through the air onto the second screen. For instance, I often work with documents that need changing - one screen will have the primary document body, next to that I keep the bibliography and appendix that will later attach to that document, and on the third screen I keep the internet (well not all the internet, just my access to it) for quick checks. It surprisingly saves a lot of time when you don't have to flick between tabs etc.

My only problem is that I start to feel a little claustrophobic when surrounded by too many screens for too long:bored::sod::sod::sod:

So it is essentially putting two monitors together to make one very large one?

I have a 28" as my main, and a second 22" for keeping a browser etc. open while I'm in a full screen program.

Yes and no. It has a similar effect, but by having two monitors and an extended desktop I can have my email (in outlook) open on one monitor while I switch back and forth between other work programs (Active Directory, Banner-SSB, Banner-INB, Avaya softphone, webpages) on the other.
Often if i'm doing something that requires a screen to be referenced, I can drag it off to the email monitor and work on the other.

Believe me, once you go this route it's really hard to go back.

(bonus points if you know Banner-SSB or INB)

Sort of, except you can't really take an image or movie and let it stretch across the two screens. Think of it more as having two different laptops next to each other - now imagine the ability to have the mouse pointer from one laptop go across the screen borders and onto the adjacent screen. You can then also drag a program or anything you are working on from the one laptop right onto the other. Now just imagine the second laptop to simply be a monitor.

This way, we can have B&B open on full screen on monitor one, and Mr. Razor open on full page on monitor two.

Top Bottom