What's new

Artist club razor

Out of interest just how would this razor compare to a 'real' straight. I am really excited waiting on my bought unseen from Larry at Whippeddog, I have read mixed reviews regarding the artist club razor.....the proguard blades for the artist club razor caught my eye....?
T
Is the artist club razor the equivelent to a lazy mans straight?

Stroma

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It's interesting that you would term it a "lazy mans straight". A feather razor is very sharp, and even the most industrious man would likely never get a regular straight as sharp. I get mine pretty close, but it's not quite the same. I see it more as the "practical man's razor" ;).

I feel it is the evolutionary result of modern metallurgy and manufacture.

You'll find the AC to be an excellent straight. Don't buy into the hype that its not a "real" straight. You'll find it can and will beat any straight out there. Yes the blades will be really super sharp, much more so than a regular straight. As such its much easier to nick or cut yourself with the Feather. But just take your time with it, and just go WTG on the easy parts of your face. The sideburns at first, and as you gain experience, then move to other parts of your face. Be sure to lay off of any pressure, you won't need any.

+1 to Kent's comment. I have never gotten a razor remotely close to the edge of a pro or a super pro feather. No experience with the guard.

The other benefits of beginning with a feather are:
- There is no question that the blade is sharp enough
- There is no way your stropping can "dull" the blade

You take two variables out of the equation, which helps the learning curve

Top Bottom