What's new

2 band; 3 band; 1 band; black badger...??

I see all of these different nomenclatures and have to sit and ponder is any of them better than the other(s)? When it comes to handles I cant figure out why they dont call PLASTIC by its real name!1?? But with the different GRADES of badger hair..geeze. After you once weed out the "My little Pony" horse hair...amd then the Piglet / Clydesdale hybrid....there is STILL a MASS of adjectives to try and sort out.!!!

Im thinking the ONLY way im going to find an "upscale" brush to my liking is to go to the city to a large store...try each and every one that even looks good to me directly on my face to see how soft / smooth it is.

I just dont thin any brush company is going to let me buy a brush...use it...and if I dont care for ..???...send it back for a refund!

It's really not that hard. Select a price point your comfortable with. Accept that you probably won't "nail" it the first time around. Realize if you buy quality you can resale it on the BST for just a little less than what you purchased it for, if you buy smart. Do your homework. Buy off the BST and you more than likely can resale it for the same price minus the shipping. Do your homework. Buy one, wait for it to arrive, and enjoy! Sell it. Repeat process.

Or buy an SOC 2-Band and get it right the first time. Good Luck.

MODS: Thanks for moving this to the proper forum. I sure had my head where the sun dont shine when I posted it...lol

Im thinking the ONLY way im going to find an "upscale" brush to my liking is to go to the city to a large store...try each and every one that even looks good to me directly on my face to see how soft / smooth it is.

Would any sales assistant stand by and let you try brush after brush on your face? I have no idea, but the thought of asking if I could would feel odd! When you say "large store", you mean a large department store with a men's toiletries section? Just for curiosity, I googled "department stores in Cincinnati" and clicked on a familiar name, Saks Fifth Avenue.

This pure badger is €64.40. (I think it was giving me a euro price as I'm browsing from Ireland).

$0477979625518R_300x400.jpg

This "power brush" is $125 (in either pure or fine hair).
$0477951948444R_300x400.jpg
And this pure hair brush weighs in at a hefty €349.

$0424147508784R_300x400.jpg

The other thing that caught my eye in your post, what qualities would the brush have to be "upscale"?

That's what I had to do. Just not at the store, because they are not the same dry as they are wet and lathered. So I just bought what sounded good and sold what I didn't want. The thing is, I liked most of them. I just didn't want to stop trying because that question was always there. And on my budget, keeping them all is not an option. So I sold some I wish I had kept, I sold some and wound up buying the same kind again and found the second one was not the same as the first one.
In the end I think it's a crap shoot. I had 3 Rooney XL's, all 3 felt different. 2 Dukes, both felt different. So I think trial and error, buy-sell-trade is the best way to go in finding a brush.

2-Band brushes are nearly impossible to find in any regular department store - let me be honest, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND A 2-BANDER IN ANY DEPARTMENT STORE, and certainly not one you can test in the store :biggrin1:

Unfortunately SBAD is what you need for you to be able to find the best brush possible for your face, beard and skin - and this will cost you anything from $1000-$3000 in purchasing to test all the better known brands in both 2-band and 3-band, but you can sell them used for 75% of the retail price, so expect to spend $500-$1000 to find your perfect brush :scared:

I have already spent close to $2000 on brushes already and I just started traditional wet shaving in August last year, I never started this hobby expecting to save money, and I already bought a Pils shaving set in 1996, so I knew the prices would be up there.......:001_cool:

But take your time - and if you have no problem buying used, get a couple of used brushes in the BST section and start to test them and slwoly but steadily will you get the idea of what kind of brush you prefer.

Good luck :thumbup:

That's what I had to do. Just not at the store, because they are not the same dry as they are wet and lathered. So I just bought what sounded good and sold what I didn't want. The thing is, I liked most of them. I just didn't want to stop trying because that question was always there. And on my budget, keeping them all is not an option. So I sold some I wish I had kept, I sold some and wound up buying the same kind again and found the second one was not the same as the first one.
In the end I think it's a crap shoot. I had 3 Rooney XL's, all 3 felt different. 2 Dukes, both felt different. So I think trial and error, buy-sell-trade is the best way to go in finding a brush.

How ya doing Bob? I still got and enjoy the one you custom made for me..

Maybe thats the answer...buy; try it and if ya dont like it...buy another or a different one..??

2-Band brushes are nearly impossible to find in any regular department store - let me be honest, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND A 2-BANDER IN ANY DEPARTMENT STORE, and certainly not one you can test in the store :biggrin1:

Unfortunately SBAD is what you need for you to be able to find the best brush possible for your face, beard and skin - and this will cost you anything from $1000-$3000 in purchasing to test all the better known brands in both 2-band and 3-band, but you can sell them used for 75% of the retail price, so expect to spend $500-$1000 to find your perfect brush :scared:

I have already spent close to $2000 on brushes already and I just started traditional wet shaving in August last year, I never started this hobby expecting to save money, and I already bought a Pils shaving set in 1996, so I knew the prices would be up there.......:001_cool:

But take your time - and if you have no problem buying used, get a couple of used brushes in the BST section and start to test them and slwoly but steadily will you get the idea of what kind of brush you prefer.

Good luck :thumbup:
Socks; shirts and boxers are ll I get from department stores. Anything else comes from their perspective "specialty" store(s)
I dont wish to waste that amount of time. Surely there is a brush that will suit me to a T because Im not that choosy on 99% of items...so buying and selling and buying and selling....nope...not for me at all. And buying from the BB here is like buying from E-bay....I cant lay hands on it before I decide if I want it or not..

I'll see what the AoS store is carrying here and go and slobber over several of their best ones and work from there.

My opinion on two bands is there is no difference from brush maker to brush maker. All two bands feel the same to me. The only difference in them I've found is density and knot shape.

Socks; shirts and boxers are ll I get from department stores. Anything else comes from their perspective "specialty" store(s)
I dont wish to waste that amount of time. Surely there is a brush that will suit me to a T because Im not that choosy on 99% of items...so buying and selling and buying and selling....nope...not for me at all. And buying from the BB here is like buying from E-bay....I cant lay hands on it before I decide if I want it or not..

I'll see what the AoS store is carrying here and go and slobber over several of their best ones and work from there.

Do as you please, but I highly recommend you search this site for AOS reviews. Their soft products (creams, soaps, asb's, etc) are highly regarded but their brushes, razors, etc. are considered extremely overpriced. That said, you can lead a horse to water but you can't force them to drink.

So whats so special about THAT badger brush for $81.00 american dough...especially when compared to their own brand more $$ brushes

Brushes are subjective. Obviously I like mine. Maybe you should talk to Bob about a custom brush for you. That would be a great option.

Do as you please, but I highly recommend you search this site for AOS reviews. Their soft products (creams, soaps, asb's, etc) are highly regarded but their brushes, razors, etc. are considered extremely overpriced. That said, you can lead a horse to water but you can't force them to drink.

Well all one has to do is look at the stuff. They dont make their own razors...they sell someone elses...same way with the brushes. Cant be more than 1/2 dozen companys in the entire free world doing the brush thing. Handles are identical...half of the nomenclature for them is the same... Only variations are what the bristles are called. Super this or that....fine this or that....super dooper fine...etc.

Same way with their soft products....anyone got the coordinates for the AoS shaving cream factory! I bet not.

Top Bottom