What's new

cutting board

i love the cutting board on the front page. got me thinking i need one even though i am just a vegan. it is too big and i must buy one in a local store. long story with accountant.
i want no more than 14x14. as thick and fancy as possible. i tried willimas sonoma,le gourmet chef,bb&b,northwestern cutlery,crate and barrel so far. nothing really high end. i will spend $250 but i don't think i need to. i know boos and mcleod but no one stocks the fancy ones. my question to you guys: is there anywhere between say chicago and milwaukee i can get what i want?

thanks

Legion

Staff member
Failing the B&B board (that looks bloody sweet), I have a bamboo cutting board which I bought from Aldi, and it has been serving very well.

i need to hand someone cash for this. like i said long story. plus id like it sooner. i do admire his work though. the acacia boards out there all from thailand seem too inexpensive to be true. i don't know what the deal with those is. crate and barrel has a super thick one but it is 21x15. i read bamboo is bad for knives. boos and mcleod should be fine but no one seems to have a nice one under that size.

guys i just wanted to let you know something in case someone does not. i decided to get a poly board as mandated for commercial food service by the fda,usda,nsf. a wood board is certainly allowed in your home. however they require a lot of proper maintenance to be safe and also not crack.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Boardsmith makes some really nice boards, but for sheer utilitarian purposes, I'm a sucker for Sani-Tuff.

We have some bamboo boards that work very nicely. They are very soft and slow, so I can see where some wouldn't like the cutting surface. We have one for non-meat items and a plastic one for meats.

For better, hardwood boards, I have had luck walking around local gallery hops/art fairs and found several woodworkers that make extremely nice end grain boards and matching knife blocks.

http://www.thorpewoodworks.com/ is near us. They made one for us in maple and cherry to and personally delivered it! I would call their number if you are interested; Jenna is very nice.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the Chicago location.

Last edited:
i am going to try to go with the person saf posted. those are very nice. i am just concerned that the fda outlawed wood boards except for laminate ones. is it true you need oil,salt,lemons,bleach,scraper? i am just cutting veggies but veggies can have stuff like salmonella. really i wanted it for the looks but i would use it. my guy feels constantly buying online can buy someone an audit. of course he is way before the internet lol. other than that there is a real nice looking board at bb&b but i am guessing it is junk like most of what they sell there. i noticed the boards saf posted are mostly not end grain i think, is that important?

thank you saf and everyone else.

People have been using wood as cutting boards for thousands of years, especially in the US we are overly cautious about food issues. Since you are only using for veg and wash them first it won't be an issue. The lemons salt and bleach are just for cleaning, most of your food won't stick so not a big issue. As far as the oiling goes, yes if you want the board to last you will need to oil every so often but that is not a huge under taking. Just put mineral oil on the board and let it sit then wipe off flip and repeat. Every few months will be fine and it will last you a lifetime. If you get marks in the board and it bothers you just a little sanding and reoiling.

Okay, I’ll say it. This is one the oddest threads I have come across in a long time.

I just want to be sure I read the posts correctly so far... (Added in gratuitous use of shift key and comma for my own mental well-being). To summarize:

"I really like the custom wood cutting board, I need one even though I am a vegan, but I want a smaller one, my accountant says I can only buy things in cash and not order online, I want something really high end but would prefer to not spend a lot, wooden cutting boards from Thailand seem too inexpensive to be what they claim to be, bamboo won’t work, oh wait I just got a polyethylene cutting board because you should know that wood isn't safe for commercial kitchens, wood boards need a lot of maintenance or will crack, now I am going to get a wooden one from an online vendor as per saf’s suggestion, I just worry that they have been “outlawed!” by the FDA, a guy thinks that internet buying leads to audits but he happened before the internet, do I have to get an end grain cutting board?"

inspiringk lol.... you make a good point. i was sort of thinking out loud and just letting sewage spew from my mouth onto the internet. i apologize for being so confusing.

i decided on this. no maintenance,nsf seal,got locally. even goes in dishwasher. this company makes other items out of this material that are tens of thousands of dollars so i figured what the heck. $187137_eppic_detail.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Ok . . . first off there is no FDA in Canuckville. Bamboo has a high level of silicates which will contribute to dulling your knives. Wood boards are great. Planks will cup and warp but if they don't split you can sand them down many times and keep enjoying them. End grain blocks seem to heal themselves. I keep a polythene board on hand for raw chicken so I can just bung it in the dishwasher when I'm done. But I will carve the Thanksgiving turkey on my wooden board and clean with soap and hot water and not worry. (Hmmm. . . no the raw turkey never does sit on the wood boards)

Okay, I’ll say it. This is one the oddest threads I have come across in a long time.

I just want to be sure I read the posts correctly so far... (Added in gratuitous use of shift key and comma for my own mental well-being). To summarize:

"I really like the custom wood cutting board, I need one even though I am a vegan, but I want a smaller one, my accountant says I can only buy things in cash and not order online, I want something really high end but would prefer to not spend a lot, wooden cutting boards from Thailand seem too inexpensive to be what they claim to be, bamboo won’t work, oh wait I just got a polyethylene cutting board because you should know that wood isn't safe for commercial kitchens, wood boards need a lot of maintenance or will crack, now I am going to get a wooden one from an online vendor as per saf’s suggestion, I just worry that they have been “outlawed!” by the FDA, a guy thinks that internet buying leads to audits but he happened before the internet, do I have to get an end grain cutting board?"

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Aframestokyo has traditional Japanese willow cutting boards for sale. Not "fancy", but very desireable IMO.

You can PayPal it.

i have browsed all over the internet. i browsed some specialty cooking stores locally. my personal opinion is the nicest ones are the one i got and this one. you will never guess where this is and how much it is. it is made in thailand as are all products from this species of wood.$0063189955495_500X500.jpg

Top Bottom