What's new

Please recommend me a decent bowl for lathering in.

At present I'm using a chinese soup bowl to produce my lather in. I feel it's a little on the small side though.
What bowl or mug would you personally recommend? what features/size should I be looking for? Where are they available in the UK?

Dan

I use an empty Taylor's tub. The plastic liner comes out and the empty tub is a perfect size for my smallish brush.

Dan --

When it comes to lather bowls, K-Mart, Target, Wal-Mart, (similar discount chain stores in the UK) and the like are your friend. As a general rule, lather bowls are best when 4.5~5.5 Inch (114~140mm) in diameter, 1.75~2.75 Inch (45~70mm) tall, stoneware (to retain heat/warmth), non-white interior color (so you can see lather develop), glazed but with a roughened surface (to aid in lather building), and CHEAP ($2~$5 (£1~£3) so you have more money for other shaving goods). Color and decoration to suit, with or without handle to suit.

I think that about sums it up.

Most 'purpose' made soap or lather bowls from shaving suppliers are overpriced, fail on most counts above, and are simply inadequate.

Good Luck.

-- John Gehman

Dan --

When it comes to lather bowls, K-Mart, Target, Wal-Mart, (similar discount chain stores in the UK) and the like are your friend. As a general rule, lather bowls are best when 4.5~5.5 Inch (114~140mm) in diameter, 1.75~2.75 Inch (45~70mm) tall, stoneware (to retain heat/warmth), non-white interior color (so you can see lather develop), glazed but with a roughened surface (to aid in lather building), and CHEAP ($2~$5 (£1~£3) so you have more money for other shaving goods). Color and decoration to suit, with or without handle to suit.

I think that about sums it up.

Most 'purpose' made soap or lather bowls from shaving suppliers are overpriced, fail on most counts above, and are simply inadequate.

Good Luck.

-- John Gehman

+1

I have been using this one from Cost Plus World Market:

proxy.php

(The small rice bowl on the far left.) It works very well, and has a slight indented pattern on the inside. It's about $6.

Top Bottom