What's new

Habanero hot sauce!

The Habaneros have grown well again this year in the garden! Just finished making hot sauce with the recipe borrowed from Pepper Joe's website. Beware that when blanching Habaneros they don't really smell strong, but they will burn your windpipe! I learned years ago that rubber gloves are not an option either. Made a slightly different version of this last year, but substituted canned peaches for the carrots - great stuff either way! I would agree with Joe, this is a 10 on the heat scale!

PEPPER JOE'S ISLAND HOT SAUCE(A 10 ON THE PEPPER JOE HEAT SCALE)
- 12 habanero peppers
- 2 carrots
- 1 lg. onion
- 6 cloves of garlic
-1/2 tbs. salt
-1/4 tbs. white pepper
- 1 lime
- 8 tbs. white vinegar
Cut habanero peppers in half and remove seeds. Drop in boiling water for 30 seconds to blanche.(handle with care) Remove peppers and put onion, carrots and garlic cloves into boiling water and cook until tender. Squeeze juice from lime and combine all ingredients and put in blender. First chop, then blend at high speed. don

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't know how this didn't get any responses, but I want to thank you for posting it. I decided to give this a try, but I made some changes because, when I went to the farmers market, I forgot to take a list with me. I did 16 habaneros (plus the seeds from 4), 3 carrots, 8 cloves of garlic (I like garlic), the juice from 2 limes plus the zest. It was a real hit. The initial reaction is "this is sweet" followed a few seconds later by "ooh, this is hot". My supervisor told me to tell him when I make more so he can fund the produce procurement. Thanks for the recipe :thumbup1:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I just made up a batch this weekend. The recipe above is a great starting point and the sky's the limit from there. The changes I made was the addition of Thai chili's, 1/4 sweet Apple, apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar, a few cherry tomatoes. I took half the chili's and broiled them along with the cherry tomatoes for a charred flavor.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just made up a batch this weekend. The recipe above is a great starting point and the sky's the limit from there. The changes I made was the addition of Thai chili's, 1/4 sweet Apple, apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar, a few cherry tomatoes. I took half the chili's and broiled them along with the cherry tomatoes for a charred flavor.

Those sound like interesting additions.

Top Bottom