What's new

Convection Microwave Oven

I bought a GE Profile convection microwave oven. Does anyone have one? If so, do you like it? I hope it has a lot more versatility than a regular microwave oven. I want to prepare reglar meals in it and to use it for more than reheating a cup of coffee. I am trying to loose weight and hope that I can cook some low calerie dishes. I especially like vegetables.

Steve

Last edited:
I have a convection microwave, and I use the convection feature almost exclusively. I just ordered teh GE over the range version to reclaim some counter space in my kitchen last night.

Definitely more versatile. Plenty of things come out awful in a microwave that are fine in an oven, and a small oven means not heating the whole kitchen. (Unless you have an awesome built-in oven that doesn't heat the kitchen much.) A convection oven also heats up to useable temperature for many uses much faster than a regular oven. They're great for heating pizza, leftovers, appetizers, etc. Pasta and rice comes out nicely even with cheese on top, and you can brown it nicely. I also prep those smallish oval enamel coated cast iron things and bake or rebake them in the convection oven. You can also cook in it. I even have a cook book just for convection oven cooking. Though I also have "Moghul Microwave" by Julie Sahni which is just for cooking Indian food in a microwave (mostly).

You should do a lot better than me, since mine is actually a Cuisinart "Convection Oven Toaster Broiler", which is really just a small toaster oven with a fan. Well maybe mine has one or two things going for it. It makes good toast :) and has the broil option that heats the top coil more than the bottom. It might not matter, but it seems perfect for a 3 minute pizza grabbed on the way home from work and eaten hours later, or even a frozen one in 6-7 minutes. (Talking thin crust here.) I buy large pies (cut into 8 slices for you non-NYers) from my favorite pizzeria, wrap each slice in aluminum foil, and put 4 in a gallon freezer bag, then just open and toast. Much better than grocery store pizza.

The separate microwave is reserved almost exclusively for popcorn, liquids, and anything that's wet or immersed (or at least covered) in sauce, except I never use it for pasta. Think soup to stew over rice or mashed potatoes. But the shepherd's pie gets the convection treatment.

Last edited:
I do not have one, but my grandmother has had two Kenmores in my lifetime (27 years). She swears by it, and keeps suggesting I buy one.

She bkes pies, meatloaf, biscuits, etc. in hers. I've never noticed any difference between things cooked in the convection microwave and those cooked in an oven.

Thanks for the posts. Looking forward to using my convection microwave oven. The one that was delivered has a blemish on the dial, so I am waiting for a replacement oven. Maybe I was too picky, but I can't see paying a lot of money for an appliance that has even a minor defect.

Steve

Top Bottom