What's new

My New Weber DLC arrived today

And I'm a little disappointed.

I got lucky and got a good ARC last week, but the DLC I got has cosmetic blemishes in the finish. It appears to be a two tone paint job on the razor head. Based on their response to people with ARC problems, I am guessing I will have no recourse but sadness, but hopefully it will not effect the longevity or effectiveness of the coating. I'm not sure I am going to keep it though. I may return it depending on the return policy. I'm curious what others are getting this week in the mail.

Here's mine. Light scuffing or scratching to the finish and a very small amount of what I can only describe as wrinkles in the finish at the very right-hand side top cap. You can't even see it in the picture and I've only been able to see it under very bright direct light, such as outside or under a flashlight. Also while I like the two tone color scheme I really wish the handle was a matte silver instead of a shiny chrome silver. I put my feather AS-D1 handle on it and it looked gorgeous.

Having said all that shaving with it this morning was fantastic. I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces with a number of different soaps this week and a couple different blades. I wish the aesthetic quality was a little bit better but for what you pay I'm not complaining. Granted mine is not as bad as some others have reported.

View attachment 263544

I would be disappointed if I spent $70+ on a razor and there were any aesthetic issues. IMHO, those types of things need to be worked out at the prototype stage. I was planning on purchasing a DLC this month but I'm holding off for now, as I would prefer my razors to be wrinkle-free.

They sound like great shavers . . . But the "look" should be clean.

Mine turned out pretty nice...but it is one of his original runs...I would email him and get it worked out. It's probably in his best interest (as far as selling them to guys who frequent B&B) to work with you on that.

I ordered the DLC with the classic handle, Can't see any marks on it. Looks great. Now I have both the DLC and the ARC.

Good luck with it, but those marks should have nothing to do with the shave. However, a $70 razor should be produced better.

I would not buy a watch if the glass was scratched. This idea of blemishes that don't affect shaving (the main function of a razor) is just... garbage. The picture advertised on the website does not show any scratches nor marks, nor anything but a perfect product. Beside that picture there is a price that is attached to the product. I pay the price, taxes, duties, shipping cost... you name it = I want the product from that picture. I really don't know how to make it more simple than that. I could try to explain it in easier terms unless there is another point of view that I am missing.

It's a shame that it seems so many are having issues with the finishes on these razors. I've been eyeing one up and thinking of jumping on one when they next become available, but now I am skeptical. I too would be very disappointed with a "blemished" product.

My concern is that the finish was properly applied and will hold up over time. For a $70 solid SS razor with a high end coating, I expect a lifetime of use.

They have responded to me twice so far tonight. They are willing to take it back, but I requested an exchange, and will send pictures tomorrow. They said they would evaluate my request upon receipt of the pictures. So far their service has been first rate. No complaints from me.

From what I've seen, most people are having trouble with the underlying SS surface not being polished before application of the ARC/DLC finish. Both my ARC and DLC from the most recent batches have what look like mild scuff marks under the finish. All of this could have been avoided with a little more attention to detail on the razor cap.

So do you find the DLC to glide more smoothly over your face than other razors you own? In my case, it almost seems as though the coating is causing more drag than my AS-D1 or Fatboy, like I have to pull the razor with a bit more force than I normally do. At first I thought it was the cream I used for my initial shave and wrote it off, but since then I've used some tried and true slick lathers and it still seems like the DLC coated head is causing a bit more friction when pulled across my skin. Like I'm dragging it over a thick cream instead of a slippery lather. Especially since I'm trying to get an angle that's more cap than bar. I thought it was supposed to be the exact opposite and provide a super slick surface to glide easily over your face. :huh:

I still don't understand why the need for the coating. I have resisted a Weber because I would prefer a straight stainless head. I can't get over that mismatched look, and I don't see what the coating could add over the plain stainless.

I have the long handle DLC and the Bulldog ARC and am very satisfied. Two absolutely fantastic performers. I do have better looking razors but these two perform the best. At least for me. And they look OK to me as far as finish quality.

I have the long handle DLC and the Bulldog ARC and am very satisfied. Two absolutely fantastic performers. I do have better looking razors but these two perform the best. At least for me. And they look OK to me as far as finish quality.

+1

So no one else is experiencing increased drag from the cap against the skin with their DLC vs other razors? My shave with the Feather SS razor this morning glided effortlessly over my lathered skin where as the DLC head almost felt a smidge sticky by comparison.

I have an ARC and haven't noticed any drag, but with the razor's blade angle, I'm not sure much of the cap even touches my face.

I have an ARC and haven't noticed any drag, but with the razor's blade angle, I'm not sure much of the cap even touches my face.

Really? Is that the optimal angle on this razor? For a more mild razor I figured the angle would be more perpendicular to the face. After having come off using the AS-D1 for a couple weeks, my angle was favoring more toward the cap side than the bar side for an effective cut.

Top Bottom