What's new

are the weber safety razors mild or aggressive?

I have decided to invest in a second razor as I am not entirely happy with my DE89.

I just want to know if the Weber DLC is classed as mild or aggressive?

Weber DLC/ARC are mild closed comb razors, very similar in my opinion, to the EJ89. They vary primarily in composition of materials used.

Weber DLC/ARC are mild closed comb razors, very similar in my opinion, to the EJ89. They vary primarily in composition of materials used.

Would you say I am wasting my money by buying a second razor?

The main problem I have with the DE89 is the quality. Dont get me wrong its beautiful, but I had trouble with the chrome plating (which has been replaced by Edwin Jagger who have brilliant customer service). I dont feel like my DE89 is going to last years and years even if I keep looking after it. The Weber razors look totally solid. The handle isnt plated its solid steel, the head obviously is plated but with a DLC coating which again is solid, and I believe it will last a long longer and provide a equal if not better shave than my DE89.

£50 is a lot of money tho. It would take me about 3 months of DE shaving to get that back in cartridge savings lol.

I have both the ARC and DLC Weber razors, as well as the EJ89l. My experience with the Weber razors has been very positive; my rationale for purchasing the ARC/DLC was the solid steel composition and its inherent longevity. The Weber handles are very nice as well.
Although the £50 may seem steep, it's in my opinion a 'reasonable value' in terms of what you are getting, when compared to the price of other stainless steel offerings. I don't think you will be disappointed in the long run, but as is always said here...YMMV. :biggrin1:

I honestly didn't see a difference in shaving performance between my Merkur 23c and my Weber. The Weber razors are more solidly constructed IMO. I don't think you would go wrong picking one up, should last a long while.

I have both of the razors you are considering and I concur rdukki, very similar shaves. The Weber slightly is smoother IMO and should last longer. Maybe you could get the Weber then sell whichever one you don't like as much.

I have an DE87 and a Weber DLC. I prefer the Weber. Both work very well but the Weber is a better whisker wacker for me.

I feel it is a good value and look for it to last longer than me.

Up till about two months ago, the general consensus here was that the Webers weren't mild razors. I got a new Weber and posted as to how it was the mildest razor I'd ever come across. Plenty of responders disagreed with me, as their Webers were as aggressive as say a Merkur 33C or more aggressive.

Since that time, several people have posted agreeing with me that their newer Webers are very mild.

My Weber with a Feather blade is nearly as aqgressive as a Merkur 33C with a Gillette Super Thin or Supermax stainless steel blade. If the latter stainless steel blades are put in my Weber, it just doesn't shave close enough.

I'm using my Weber a lot - mainly because it's my only "safe" DE razor, after I've scraped myself with other razor/blade/soap combinations that have left me with rash or burn. And when I want to make sure I don't have blood spots when I'm getting dressed up to got to a function.
Regards,
Renato

I would put my weber arc one step ahead of my R89 in terms of how agressive the feal is, both loaded with a feather blade as that is all I use. Hardly noticeable but to me I feal the blade a little differently.

I wouldn't say it's more aggressive - rather, more efficient. There's not really more blade exposure, but it seems to do a more efficient cut with each pass. Could be the added weight or difference in balance.

I have the Weber DLC and the Muhle R89. The Muhle was my daily shaver (with the occasional day or two dalliance with other flights of fancy), but the Weber has replaced it.

I sold mine because it wasn't getting a ton of use. It is a nice razor and worth the price. Regarding aggressiveness, to me it is middle of the road, a bit on the milder side but capable of good shaves in 2 passes.

Up till about two months ago, the general consensus here was that the Webers weren't mild razors. I got a new Weber and posted as to how it was the mildest razor I'd ever come across. Plenty of responders disagreed with me, as their Webers were as aggressive as say a Merkur 33C or more aggressive.

Since that time, several people have posted agreeing with me that their newer Webers are very mild.

I wouldn't say it's more aggressive - rather, more efficient. There's not really more blade exposure, but it seems to do a more efficient cut with each pass.

This pretty much sums up the Weber IMO. It is mild but very efficient. I get effortless DFS / BBS shaves from mine.

You could get your EJ razor replated in rhodium (or just the head and then buy a longer lasting handle, as in: Weber, Tradere, UFO etc.)

The Weber DLC was going to be my next purchase until I read about the coating wrinkles on the head. I wouldn't be very pleased to have those wrinkles, even if they don't affect the shave.

So maybe a replate is worth considering, though this will probably be pricier than buying a new razor.

The Weber DLC was going to be my next purchase until I read about the coating wrinkles on the head. I wouldn't be very pleased to have those wrinkles, even if they don't affect the shave.

I don't recall reading about any coating wrinkles (but I haven't likely read every Weber post). My DLC is about as uniform in color and smoothness as you can get - I'm quite pleased.

I'm pretty sure you can't replate--most of the platers I've seen can't replate Zamac razors. Perhaps someone else is doing it, though...

You could get your EJ razor replated in rhodium (or just the head and then buy a longer lasting handle, as in: Weber, Tradere, UFO etc.)

So maybe a replate is worth considering, though this will probably be pricier than buying a new razor.

Mild. Not efficient enough for me, but ranks above the EJ89. I'm keeping it because of the quality, for easy days and for my legs (cyclist).

I'm pretty sure you can't replate--most of the platers I've seen can't replate Zamac razors. Perhaps someone else is doing it, though...

Thanks. I wondered about whether anyone was replating EJ razors. Maybe EJ will put out some top of the line rhodium razors or even just plain steel razors in the future. I would buy one. I like my EJ razors but don't think they'll live nearly as long as the Gillette DE razors.

I highly recommend the Weber, though! It's a great razor, and I have no desire to stray from it. SO has a gaggle of vintage gillettes, and I like the weber much better.

(For full ymmv disclosure, he doesn't prefer my Weber to his Slim either)

I like my Weber ARC bulldog, however I am glad to have, and will never surrender, my Muhle R89. If I had to choose only one, it's the R89...but who's choosing?

In short, go get the Weber, but be sure to sample different blades to get the best fit.

Top Bottom