HELP!! I want to write with a fountain pen.
I see a great deal of threads asking what pen should I buy. Sometimes things are detailed, while others give general recommendations. I hope that this might be a guide for those looking to find a centralized thread of pen information for recommendations, and with justification.
I have to say that the pen I recommend to the new user is a TWSBI. It is the only pen that I own, that I feel will not become damaged when handing it over to a novice user. Now there are arguments at to cost/quality/durability, but I find this pen is beneficial for the following reasons.
1) This is a demonstrator pen. It shows the workings of the pen, and makes it easy for the lay person to see what is going on. It also tends to attract the attention of curious people. In general, people like to see how things work, and this pen delivers.
2) It has many videos that show the takedown, cleaning, and tuning of the pen. So it gives a good example for those that want to start to tinker with their pen.
2) The pen is available as a piston fill or vacuum fill mechanism. Now this is my personal opinion, but I would rather buy this filling method than a converter/cartridge. I find that it adds a bit of value to the pen, and people tend to think they have a bit more "value" since it is built into the pen.
3) TWSBI customer service is pretty good. I know Speedy will work with the consumer to resolve any issues with his pens. He wants a pleased customer that wants to use his pen.
4) The nibs can be changed on this pen rather easily. You can buy individual nibs that will screw into the main body of the pen. This opens up a cheaper alternative, so to speak, instead of buying multiple pens.
Now of course I have to lay a disclaimer that I dont represent the company, these are my views, and etc etc. These of course are my opinions, and again would like to receive other member's view of what is an all around great starter pen with justification. I would truly love to learn, so that I can continue to give the best advice to those wanting to write with a fountain pen.
Veteran of the Great Irisch Moos Campaign of 2008-9
Proud member of the Great Eagle Group Buy of 2010
I Survived the Great Migration 06/2011
"Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence." Vince Lombardi