What's new

So what is with the "Do Not Wipe Blade" printing?

So, let me make sure I understand. Gentle wiping with a soft cloth will damage the blades, but dragging the blade across wire-tough whiskers is OK.

I think I will just continue to wipe my blades the same way I always have. I have not hurt one yet.

I was merely providing the correct answer to the question. I myself don't believe that wiping the blade makes too much of a difference, and although I don't do it every time, have had no problems the few times I do it.

As always, if it is working for you, keep at it. I was just trying to push aside the lawsuit speculation and provide an actual answer here.

Bingo. Take a look at the warning labels on many products. Because we live in a law suit happy economy (and I am a retired lawyer) labels have to be put on many products to protect the manufacturer. For example, a bottle of dishwashing liquid tells you not to drink it. An electric knife sharpener I have tells you not to put your fingers in it. I recall the heavy lady who got a generous settlement from McDonalds when she spilled hot coffee from a cup placed on her lap.

Reminds me of a skit I once saw... I believe it was bill engvall and here's your sign.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Knowing the state of litigation in America it's likely because if done the wrong way it damages the finger(s). Yep, gotta remind people - don't touch sharp things!

What does America have to do with it? I've seen this on blades that I bought in Malta, Italy and Croatia. They had no clue that I would bring them back to the U.S. of A.

I'm still waiting for my lawyer to call me back after I tried to wipe with my blade!

OK, this is crap, no more inappropriate posts like this.

SWMBO hollered at me for this quote. I was reading in bed on my iPad at 2 a.m., and started laughing and snickering so hard I woke her up and made the dogs start barking.

So, anyone who posts like this and gets me in the doghouse again will definitely be on a posting timeout....

;)

Strange, I always assumed it was about the glue applied for packaging. "Wiping" seems way too general of a term to use. Oh well, I was expecting a more interesting answer, but I definately appreciate all the feedback gents!

I kind of question the "limitation of liability" argument. Using the damn things as intended is inherently risky. Even seasoned shavers get nicks and cuts, and in any given population there's likely to be a vexatious shaver wanting compensatory damages for epidermal mutation (inter alia).

Maybe "do not wipe" = "because you don't need to". Apart from the carbon blades, they're stainless and only need a rinse and a shake, and it's a polite (albeit firm) suggestion not to waste time wiping the blades when there's better things to do you with your time (like apply AS and ASB).

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Maybe wiping the blade removes moisture, thereby reducing micro-rust, thereby prolonging the life of the blade.
What blade manufacturer wants you prolonging the life of their blades?

:lol:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I kind of question the "limitation of liability" argument. Using the damn things as intended is inherently risky. Even seasoned shavers get nicks and cuts, and in any given population there's likely to be a vexatious shaver wanting compensatory damages for epidermal mutation (inter alia).

Maybe "do not wipe" = "because you don't need to". Apart from the carbon blades, they're stainless and only need a rinse and a shake, and it's a polite (albeit firm) suggestion not to waste time wiping the blades when there's better things to do you with your time (like apply AS and ASB).

Good point.

IIRC, there was a damages claim (from, where else, the United States of Plaintiffs) where a woman bought KY Jelly at the supermarket and somehow thought it was the other type of jelly (which Aussies and Brits might call "jam").

I think she got as far as toasting her bread and spreading the stuff too. For all I know, she probably even ate it.

Now, if I further recall correctly (from my younger and more energetic days), KY Jelly is "edible". That's not to say "please, feel free to eat this". But I think she brought a claim because a) the product did not have the requisite disclaimer and b) it was sold in a supermarket so it was implicit she could eat it.

Damn stoopid.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Q-tips have warnings not to stick them in your ear.
Most products suggest you do an allergy test on your skin before using.
And we all know how well the warning label on Cigarette packs has worked.

Just ignore the little "Do Not Wipe" and have a good shave.

Bingo. Take a look at the warning labels on many products. Because we live in a law suit happy economy (and I am a retired lawyer) labels have to be put on many products to protect the manufacturer. For example, a bottle of dishwashing liquid tells you not to drink it. An electric knife sharpener I have tells you not to put your fingers in it. I recall the heavy lady who got a generous settlement from McDonalds when she spilled hot coffee from a cup placed on her lap.

Don't know that she was "heavy", though that is superfluous to the story. She was 79 years old, and the coffee was almost 190 degrees, and she suffered severe burns. So, it wasn't just that the coffee was hot and the lady was clumsy. The coffee was unreasonably hot and the styrofoam cup folded up like a wet taco when she took the lid off.

Regardless, the "do not wipe" warning on a razor blade package isn't their to prevent lawsuits from morons that cut a finger off whilst wiping the blade

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Don't know that she was "heavy", though that is superfluous to the story. She was 79 years old, and the coffee was almost 190 degrees, and she suffered severe burns. So, it wasn't just that the coffee was hot and the lady was clumsy. The coffee was unreasonably hot and the styrofoam cup folded up like a wet taco when she took the lid off.

Regardless, the "do not wipe" warning on a razor blade package isn't their to prevent lawsuits from morons that cut a finger off whilst wiping the blade

Actually, the lady put the cup between her knees when she got it at the drive through. She spilled the cup while trying to take the lid off to add sugar and cream. Her grandson was the driver of the car.
She was awarded a large settlement, but what most folks don't know is that while the jury initially awarded her $200,000 in compensatory damages and $2.7 million in punitive damages, the compensatory damages award was reduced by 20% to $160,000. The judge reduced punitive damages to $480,000, for a total of $640,000. The decision was appealed by both McDonald's and the woman, and the parties settled out of court for an undisclosed amount less than $600,000.

No one here knows for certain what the reason is that the "Do Not Wipe" is on the package. There's no more proof that it is a legal warning than there is that it's to prevent "damage" to a blade or to shorten the life of the blade so you buy more or any other of a dozen possible explanations. It's all conjecture. Believe what you choose to believe.

I personally think it's to prevent Alien Invasion because Martians can't stand the combination of letters when arranged in that sequence.

Actually, the lady put the cup between her knees when she got it at the drive through. She spilled the cup while trying to take the lid off to add sugar and cream. Her grandson was the driver of the car.
She was awarded a large settlement, but what most folks don't know is that while the jury initially awarded her $200,000 in compensatory damages and $2.7 million in punitive damages, the compensatory damages award was reduced by 20% to $160,000. The judge reduced punitive damages to $480,000, for a total of $640,000. The decision was appealed by both McDonald's and the woman, and the parties settled out of court for an undisclosed amount less than $600,000.

No one here knows for certain what the reason is that the "Do Not Wipe" is on the package. There's no more proof that it is a legal warning than there is that it's to prevent "damage" to a blade or to shorten the life of the blade so you buy more or any other of a dozen possible explanations. It's all conjecture. Believe what you choose to believe.

I personally think it's to prevent Alien Invasion because Martians can't stand the combination of letters when arranged in that sequence.

I knew that the compensation was reduced in the suit. Thanks for pointing that out. I particularly appreciate finally getting a reasonable explanation for the "do not wipe" warning. I will rest much easier now.

That caution goes back many years. Long before the legal industry ruined daily life... I think it stems from the days before stainless blades, when people wiped their blades clean and dry to prevent rust from damaging the edge.

Simple marketing of technology at one point, and good blade care at another. Blades are not made to last as long as possible (by choice of base metal). They are made to be as sharp as possible for a few shaves. That's simple business economics. I understand that some people hone their DE blades, but at 30 cents to very much less than that each, I prefer to buy blades that are already properly sharpened and honed to shave correctly from the factory.... There are several brands out there that do exactly that for me.

I also understand that many folks are in the habit of wiping their blades during or after each shave. It's likely that they cause some damage to the blade edge by wiping, and very unlikely that they do any good to it. Razor blades are cheap. I leave them in my razor until they begin to fail, and then toss them away. Meanwhile, I just rinse the blade well during and after each shave.

I think it's as simple as that. The damage caused by wiping carbon steel blades was less than the damage caused by rust if you failed to wipe a blade clean and dry. With modern stainless blades, wiping a blade may do harm, but never does any good. The manufacturers might just be making the point, and lawyers may never have had anything to do with it...

Last edited:
I usually wipe them at the end of a shave to prevent bacteria and micro-rust. Am I doing wrong ? Does it take away the edge or something ?

I imagine it is from the advice of their lawyers so that when someone cuts themselves while wiping the blade, they have some protection from being sued.

I really doubt this is a legal warning, as legal warnings are far more verbose and dire sounding such as:
"Caution!! Warning! Wiping the blade may cause Decapitation. The Acme Safe Company will not be held responsible for Decapitation or Dismemberment due to Wiping the Blade".

Pure speculation on my part, but since there is more room for legalese on the wrapper, I think it has to do with protecting coatings or the blade in some fashion.

If it was a legal warning, it would likely be printed on the blade, and not the disposable packaging. Their would also be a graphic of a razor blade next to a bisected finger with blood droplets.

In before someone shows me a picture the warning printed on the blade.

wipe = no....blot = yes ,gently with tissue to remove moisture,the re-insert in dry razor...no problems with moisture...BLOT !!

Top Bottom