What's new

Merkur 39C slant bar alignment

Hello Gents.

I thought that putting the blade in and tightening down on this razor was supposed to be Murphy proof, but I think I'm wrong. I noticed there is a 1 stamped on the blade holder and a 3 stamped on the head. Are these 2 numbers supposed to be together on the same side? The reason I ask is if I put everything together with the numbers in opposite directions, you hear a loud click when tightening everything down, right around the halfway point. I just want to make sure I it right, so I dont thread it. Thanks for any help.

Gentlemen,
I hope I didnt ask a stupid question. So far there have been 52 views to this post, but no replies. If I need to be directed to some info thats already on here (didnt see any) or if the answer is obvious please let me know. Again, any info on this razor would be greatly appreciated.

I have 39C Slant and haven't ever thought about that what you asked. Just checked and I think both holder and head are symmetrical and it's just the same which way you put them. That slant angle is just the same on both sides. Maybe that click sound comes from those pins when they settle down in holes (if they are not precisely correct). I don't know, but check out this thing. Hope this helped

I have a couple of the 39 slants and just put a blade in them and shave.

My standard handle gold model has the number 2 on head and 4 on body(handle) the barber pole model has number 1 on head and 4 on body.

Honestly I think those are markings for manufacturing control, they are too faint for daily indexing purposes, both of mine have a very minor amount of soap film and makes them impossible to see without wiping off( I am inbetwee blade changes, hence the film)

Also I get no clicking noise when I tighten down the head.

My daily shaver is a vintage Slant with the same number stampings that you have. I don't think they mean much of anything beyond manufacturing information. I've assembled the razor with numbers aligned and numbers reversed-it makes up the same. Likely what you hear as a clicking sound is the snap being made as the blade is pulled into position between the cap posts and the head as the razor locks together. Just to be sure, check out post 40 in this thread for the response from Dovo on how to correctly load a blade and align the cap.

Top Bottom