What's new

Aftershave buying advice for a newbie

Hello all, I just recently entered the world of DE shaving. I decided to make the switch from cartridge razors because of blade cost (I'm going to be an impoverished college student soon) and the allure of the old-school aura that it gives the shaving ritual. I already have a cheap, but very decent setup that includes everything but an aftershave. At first I thought that I would steer clear of aftershave products altogether but after shaving a couple of times and finally tried a ATG shave (which I would never have dared to attempt with my cartridge razor) that left my face feeling baby smooth but wanting something. I've done my research on aftershaves and the list of things is almost overwhelming, however I finally narrowed it down to at least one aftershave that seems to suit my needs, Musgo Real. However, I'm a little hesitant to buy a bottle straight off because of two things; price and scent. The price isn't as large an issue as the scent, I figure that while twenty something dollars for a 3oz bottle is pricey, that those 3oz's are going to last me quite a long while. The scent is the real deal maker or breaker, I've read wonderful comments about it but I don't personally know what it smells like. What would be ideal would be to find a small sample of it before committing to a large bottle. So, does anyone know of a way to obtain a small sample of Musgo real or have any advice on a first aftershave?

Check out Garry's Sample shop to pick up some samples of all kinds of aftershaves. Also, don't discount some of the Family Dollar aftershaves. I'm currently enjoying the Family Dollar version of Brut and Old Spice, both only cost $1.75. They're made by Vi-Jon but they are good performers.

Welcome to B&B and good luck! The hunt for your favorite aftershave is a fun one :)

Family Dollar stuff is good as Klos said. I would recommend picking up the drug store classics, such as AquaVelva and SkinBracer. They are cheap so won't break the bank.

+ a whole lot for the Vijon aftershaves. Barbasol Brisk and Barbasol Pacific Rush can be found at Dollar General for $1.75 and are also made by Vijon. The Brisk is a clone of Skin Bracer and Pacific Rush is chock full of menthol, one of the colder splashes I have tried.

+1 on Barbasol to start with if you're on a budget. Although I have a small 'collection' of aftershaves, I still like the Barbasol Pacific Rush and Brisk. Wearing Brisk today, as a matter of fact. They don't come much cheaper than these!
Also Proraso Splash(old version), Speick, Nivea Energy and Dominica Bay Rum are some other good AS and not terribly expensive, either.

+ a whole lot for the Vijon aftershaves. Barbasol Brisk and Barbasol Pacific Rush can be found at Dollar General for $1.75 and are also made by Vijon. The Brisk is a clone of Skin Bracer and Pacific Rush is chock full of menthol, one of the colder splashes I have tried.

You might consider Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum as well. Inexpensive and classic good stuff.
+1 on the Barbasol, too.

+1 on Barbasol to start with if you're on a budget. Although I have a small 'collection' of aftershaves, I still like the Barbasol Pacific Rush and Brisk. Wearing Brisk today, as a matter of fact. They don't come much cheaper than these!
Also Proraso Splash(old version), Speick, Nivea Energy and Dominica Bay Rum are some other good AS and not terribly expensive, either.

+100 for Barbasol Brisk, one of my favorite aftershaves. I'm also wearing it today.

I have a few more expensive AS (4711, Royall Lyme) and bunches of inexpensive ones. By and large, I prefer the cheap ones. I don't feel it necessary to scrimp with a $1.75 AS. I just splash it on liberally.

Thank you very much to Klos for the link to Garry's I will be ordering a few samples from them shortly. Klopstick, in fact I went out on a cheap aftershave shopping expedition today and bought my first AS, the Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum and I must say that I'm quite the fan of the bay rum smell. Thanks to everyone for the advice!

You might consider Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum as well. Inexpensive and classic good stuff.

+1

I will point out that I didn't care for the smell when I received it. I don't know if it's just me, but once I have it on it mellows out and is no longer overpowering.

If you like the Pinaud Bay Rum, try the Master Bay Rum. Should be available at your local Sally Beauty. I find it far superior to the Pinaud, which I find way too heavy on the cloves.

I managed to pick up the Pinaud Bay Rum for cheap at Walgreen's (clearanced for $3.50)...think I'll take that savings and try out the Master Bay Rum now!

I can't believe I forgot to add the Master Bay Rum to that list. Yes, super stuff and different from the Pinaud. Besides, you can buy it by the 1 gallon jug. What's not to like about that?

Top Bottom