What's new

SHARP FOCUS, SOTD "themed week" 6th August - 12th August 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
For this week we would love to see your photos in extremely sharp detail. This could include handles on DE razors, lettering on products, etc. Please indulge us!:001_smile

Maxterpiece: 6/8 Wade & Butcher "For Barbers Use", 1/2 Hollow Ground, Square Point, (Tigerstripe Scales + Moon Glow Wedge)
Kanayama No.3 Strop
Simpson Chubby 2 Super
D.R. Harris Windsor Soap
Cold Water Rinse
Italian Floid Blue
D.R. Harris Windsor EdT

proxy.php

SOTD:
-TOBS Avocado Shaving Cream
-Shea Badger Brush
-Shavex Alum Block
-Layrite No. 9 Bay Rum AS
I finished up with some Nivea Sensitive post-shave balm.
Cheers!

$photo (2).JPG

Good morning!

My shave on Monday:

Musgo Real pre shave oil
Calani Dubai shave soap
Mühle Basic Nr. 02 shave brush with Silver Tip Fibre
Feather AS-D1 razor
Feather FH-10 blade
Bloc Osma Alum
D.R. Harris Bay Rum after shave

Having taken the Feather AS-D1 out of its box again for the 1st time in quite a while last Saturday, I had a very nice shave with it today considering that the razors I have used in the past months (Futur, Vision, Red Tip, OC NEW, etc) have a much wider angle range and I thought I would have a harder time staying focused and disciplined with the Feather. With this I mean to say the aforementioned Merkurs and Gillettes are more forgiving and still shave well even when the right angle is not strictly maintained. The Feather AS on the other hand requires, although still being milder, a much stricter adherence to the effective angle in order to ensure very efficient and thorough stubble removal. All in all, I am very happy with a DFS result.

Wishing you a happy week ahead with many satisfying shaves.

Very nice! For me today it was

SOTD:
-VDH Pure Badger Brush
-EJ DE89 Barley Chrome
-Nacet Platinum blade
-Santa Maria Novella Crema de Barba
-Dickenson's Witch Hazel Toner
-Pinaud Citrus Musk Eau de Cologne

Very enjoyable and a BBS as always.

Monday:

Simpson Special Pure
Harris Lavender stick
Gillette Goodwill 162
Timor (26)
Proraso old white pre/post ASB
Home-made Lavender ***

Today, a "minimalistic" shave:

proxy.php

Santa Maria Novella shaving cream + Semogue 1335 + Slant bakelite with Astra #2 + Myrsol Metilsol sample + Aubrey Organics City Rythms balm sample

First use of this bakelite razor and it shaves really well! Incredible for a so light razor, but it is very well designed.

Cheers!

Rainy Monday morning here in Hamburg. :thumbdown

*Warm water
*TGN 24mm Silvertip Short Loft
*Proraso Sandalwood SC - face lathering
*Rotbart OC - Rotbart extra dünn (Germany) (3) - one and a half ATG
*Warm water
*Cold water
*Allume di Rocca Naturale as pre AS (1 min.)
*Cold water
*Edel 45 AS

Perfect BBS in one and a half passes ATG.
Have a nice day gentlemen, wherever you are and whatever you do.
Alexander
attachment.php

Wostenholm Frameback | Yardley | Rover | Lucido (and Neosporin) | GIT
proxy.php

What a terrible shave! I've resisted the siren song of "vintage" tallow soaps for the longest time. Last week I finally caved; I picked up a vintage puck of Yardley. It arrived on Friday, and I'd been anxiously anticipating shaving with it today. I performed my usual prep - my brush soaked during my shower, a small bit of water rested on the puck of soap. I got out of the shower and prepared to make this mythical "vintage" lather. As I touched the Manchurian badger hair brush to the puck, lather magically started appearing from the very start. The aroma of the soap, which had been faint, opened up and my anticipation built to a crescendo. As I started working the lather on my face, I began to believe the hype about vintage tallow soaps!

With a face full of thick, rich lather, I began my shave. The first few strokes were like sheer joy. Then, just as I was envisioning how I would write up my SOTD, I felt a slight burn, almost like a pin *****. I'd cut myself. I couldn't believe it. I'd gone months and months without a cut, then I get two in two weeks. And this one was perfectly placed so that it ended precisely where the one from last week began. If it had been on the same angle, it would have just been a continuation of the original cut. My concentration was destroyed! Undaunted, I was determined to keep going and not let this lather be wasted. but in my anger with myself, I let my strokes get quicker. Then, as I went to clear the two days growth off my chin, I felt a burning, and the lather turned bright red. I knew I'd done it again - a second cut! But I carried on, finishing the shave with a very nice two pass BBS. The vintage soap had done it's part, but I had failed it...

As I cleaned up, I looked at my chin. Not only had I cut myself, but I'd taken a nice chunk of skin out.

proxy.php

I took my SOTD pictures for several days this week over the weekend, and I'd been wondering what I would do for tomorrow's shave. Now I know the answer - I'll be grabbing some pine and sitting on the bench as this hole in my chin heals!

Martin de Candre
Semogue 1520
Futur at 2 with Feather blade
ASL Brut, Original

proxy.php

Gillette Fusion Proglide
La Roche-Posay Lipikar moisturizing face soap
Gillette Series Scrub Gel
Ach. Brito Shaving Cream
Omega 621 Pure Badger Shaving Brush
Lierac After Shave Balm
Lab Seris Age Rescue Eye Therapy
Lab Series Daily Moisture Defense Lotion SPF 15
Eau de Toilette : FRENCH LOVER by EDITIONS DE PARFUMS FREDERIC MALLE

Monday

Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Best
Cream: T&H Rose
Razor: '72 Black Handle Adjustable
Blade: Astra
A/S: Proraso Liquid A/S
Cologne: Knize Ten

Mike

proxy.php

JabonMan Tierra Húmeda - Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger - Boker Edelweiss - Xpec AS Gel - Goutal Eau du Sud edt

6 AUGUST 2012

* Gillette 1936 Aristocrat Deluxe
* Polisilvers
* Vie-Long Natural Horse-Hair
* Mike's Natural Soaps Bay Rum
* Alum
* Thayers
* Unrefined Shea butter

Attachments

• $sotd1.JPG
    $sotd1.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 364