What's new

"Mad Max" By Bill Ellis...

full

Well - before I go any further, let me just state 2 things.

#1. I named the razor "Mad Max" as this is the meanest S.O.B. I have ever seen... I mean this thing just gushes evil and wrong doing. This ain't your daddy's girlie-man 8/8 razor. This isn't a jewel encrusted showpiece. This is a chainsaw with wood scales. Two words.... bad ***.

#2. If Livi is called "Maestro" Livi, we should from this point on refer to Mr. Ellis, as Master Ellis - the girlie-man killer.

Alright - now down to business. Awesome, awesome razor. Having recently purchased a Zowada, and being blown away by the incredible balance, I now must retract my previous assertion that the 6/8 Zowada was the best balanced razor I had ever experienced, and put this Ellis on the top, as the king of the hill. It's no secret, that by and large I am not overly fond of large razors. They're clunky, big, heavy and feel "oafish." Well.... this MONSTER 10/8 feels every bit as light and maneuverable as a 5/8th's razor. In fact - I sent Bill a PM when I got it - stunned, asking what the blade was made of, as it seemed like it must be aluminum the dang thing feels so light and maneuverable. Really, a brute (in a good way) of a razor.

This is razor #1 of 3 I had ordered from Bill, and I am just sick with anticipation to see what he comes up with next. Truly, truly magnificent, one of a kind works - completely unlike ANY other razors out there.

Hold onto yer shorts girlymen :biggrin: .....

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
What does he charge for something like that?

==Tom

It varies from razor to razor - and he never makes the same razor twice, but honestly - the price is moot, as Bill does this as a labor of love, not as a business (he is retired) and so far in the several years that I have known him, he has only made a VERY small handful of razors, maybe 4-5 that I know of. He has several gorgeous knives available (he primarily makes custom knives), and one custom straight razor available on his website for $500, but he isn't really like RW or the like - as you cannot really place an order with him, then have a razor in a week or two. I've been naggin' Bill (poor bill ) for well over a year to get some of his masterpieces, ever since he made the very cool "Big Dipper" one piece razor.

The design, and quality of his work is phenomenal (I'll post up some pics tonight) but again, this is something he does as a labor of love, and has QUITE a "back-log" from what I can imagine, and rightfully so. Amazing stuff - but very hard to get ahold of. An Ellis to razors, is what Bugatti is to cars.

That sloping point and tang gives this razor such a manly man look IMO.
One slip with that sharp point can mean trouble, must be used with caution. It certainly helps that the razor is well balanced.

Looks absolutely stunning!!!

BTW what is the material used in the scales? some sort of burl wood?

That sloping point and tang gives this razor such a manly man look IMO.
One slip with that sharp point can mean trouble, must be used with caution. It certainly helps that the razor is well balanced.

Looks absolutely stunning!!!

BTW what is the material used in the scales? some sort of burl wood?

Some sort of wood.... Bill actually forgot what kind, so I have no idea! :wink:

Looks like a looser grain Amboyna burl. Beautiful wood. I just ordered some similar 1/8" stock, I regret only the $32 /sqft cost.

One if not the finest custom I have ever seen! Bill is a true master if you have ever visited his website and seen his work, you would know what I am talking about. I have also backed off the bigger is better bandwagon, but would love to take that bad boy out for a spin. Let us know how it shaves.

Glen

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
:incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato :incazzato

come on Joel ... I'm trying to save some money here ... all those photos of such a pheeeeeeeeeeeeenomenal razor ain't helpin'!! :eek2:

If Chuck Norris decided to lose his beard, that would be his razor. Of course, he would need no hot water, brush, or soap, and the razor would be afraid to cut him.

Beautiful razor Joel....and hats off to Mr. Ellis.

OK. I'm offended. As a new member here, I resent being associated with an angry blade!

Not really. :wink2: Looks like a wicked fine tool. Enjoy...carefully.

heh...the razor for people with a fear of being attacked in the bathroom. absolutely gorgeous, I've seen 6 foot swords that this thing would make look weak.

Top Bottom